25 Years Ago TODAY!

TAF

Oh Yeah...I mean it!

GC_z5kzXgAA_2lu

GDACSG4XQAA2KqR

Incredible experience in Phoenix. Loved every minute of it. Went with my oldest son who had just graduated. Fought a blizzard in Mi. to get there. Only bad was they closed the bars early in Tempe...thousands of Vol fans and the bars closed.

Seems like a lifetime ago. Glad that I was able to attend. Might not see another in before I kick the can

Junior in high school, Winnebago and my best friend. His grandfather surprised us with a couple tickets and his wheels. Told us to have fun. Girlfriends didn't make the trip. Florida girls are fun. Snowstorm in Oklahoma and lots of different food stops. One of the best times of my life. Looking forward to the next one. Go VOLS!

For the first time since attending that game, I feel there’s a legitimate chance of attending another before I die. What a time to be alive

For so many Vol fans, the departure of Peyton from the program left us with perhaps not so lofty expectations of the following years team. In essence, I think most of us naturally pulled back our expectations, especially w untested/little known 4 Star QB Tee Martin at the helm. But one game after another, the team jelled on both sides of the line with great leaders. I attended the Syracuse game and Arkansas game and well, most every championship team in any sport say that they need a lot of hard work with some good luck sprinkled in. One late interference flag in the 'Cuse game and a fumble on the ground in the Ark game and our team pounced on the opportunities in front of them. It was a magical season and if my recollection serves me correct, FSU started their 3rd string QB at the Fiesta game due to injuries to QB #1 & #2 (vs opting out the entire team...!!). The Vols took advantage of all those breaks and good fortunes and rode UT to it's first National Championship in decades. If I pass tomorrow, I at least got to see a championship with not only the Vols, but all my other teams: Knicks, Jets, Packers, NY Rangers, Yankees, Mets, Giants, Colts, Cubs and Broncos. Thanks for the reminder about 25 years ago today. Aaaahhhhhhhhh....!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Volbackhomefromtx
Wonderful memory! Due to fly to Phoenix from Chicago Midway the day before but airports were closed - as well as the interstates - due to a 28-inch blizzard. I learned the meteorological definition of a blizzard that day was winds blowing at 40 knots. I was at the airport anyway when the airport closed and was rescheduled for day of game on the first flight out at via St. Louis (Southwest). I stayed at a nearby hotel and was at the airport as soon as the first shuttle could get me there. That morning 25-years ago, it was 45-below zero wind chill. There was one other person in the lobby for the shuttle - it was Raynoch Thomason’s father. Both of us dressed in insulated orange made us look like Big Orange Eskimo’s. For superstitious me, I took that as a great positive omen. Got to Arizona about 3pm local time. I believe the game was at 6pm local time. I’m sure someone on here remembers the exact time if that is not it.

Reactions: orangello
Wonderful memory! Due to fly to Phoenix from Chicago Midway the day before but airports were closed - as well as the interstates - due to a 28-inch blizzard. I learned the meteorological definition of a blizzard that day was winds blowing at 40 knots. I was at the airport anyway when the airport closed and was rescheduled for day of game on the first flight out at via St. Louis (Southwest). I stayed at a nearby hotel and was at the airport as soon as the first shuttle could get me there. That morning 25-years ago, it was 45-below zero wind chill. There was one other person in the lobby for the shuttle - it was Raynoch Thomason’s father. Both of us dressed in insulated orange made us look like Big Orange Eskimo’s. For superstitious me, I took that as a great positive omen. Got to Arizona about 3pm local time. I believe the game was at 6pm local time. I’m sure someone on here remembers the exact time if that is not it.
A trip to remember

Reactions: onthehill71
I vividly remember David Leaverton laying the wood to Peter Warrick on the punt return. I've never seen a punter as tough as he was.

Reactions: VFL 89

VN Store

Back