2nd Best thing about big win at OU

Thank you. Nothing was “dialed back.” Sometimes this fanbase is just stupid. It’s all risk/ reward. If Heupel thought he could safely throw up another 21 points, put the game away in the third quarter and not risk game changing turnovers, guess what…. He would have
People want to think coaching is like playing video game football.

Reactions: bpalmer28
Honestly the best thing to me, is I'm hoping it'll reel in a bunch of the fanbase's expectations.

After 3 easy wins, I swear half the fans were talking smack about rolling the whole conference by 50.

Now we know how we look when matched against peer/near peer level talent.

Its a battle when talent levels are near equal.
Bro, we beat the dog shît out of them. It was men vs boys out there. We went vanilla in the second half because we knew that couldn’t score on us and their field conditions were so bad that it was dangerous. If that game had been on a decent field we’d have score at least 2-3 more touchdowns. And we did this without our starting LT and then Campbell went down too.

Physically OU was cucked. The score board isn’t representative of what happened. We should be receiving assault charges.

Also… this game actually INCREASED my expectations. Most fans were concerned about pass defense. After last night, they are less concerned about pass defense.

Team is freaking good bro

Honestly the best thing to me, is I'm hoping it'll reel in a bunch of the fanbase's expectations.

After 3 easy wins, I swear half the fans were talking smack about rolling the whole conference by 50.

Why is it a problem that some fans are more enthusiastic/positive than others? How do their positive vibes negatively impact you? If I want to yell VOLS BY FIDDY, who are you to complain about it?

Reactions: IUGradVol
It was a great game against a team with one of the best defenses in CFB. Tennessee was never behind and only gave up touchdowns in a clear "bend but don't break" defense. Oklahoma has an elite defense. Elite! Nico threw for just under 200 yards, while Sampson and Bishop wore them down all night with their ground game. Our beloved Vols have an elite defense as well. Tennessee dominated the Sooners, and that was undoubtedly their best effort. Tennessee is going to score a lot of points and will be tough to score on. I came away feeling better about the offense and the team beating the hell out of so people after last night.
Exactly...I don't remember us blowing out teams with great defenses with Peyton at the helm. In fact, I remember us struggling with a lot of the mid tier teams. Yes, we always had a good defense and would have beaten UF more if Chavis had learned that after a turnover Spurrier was going to call a deep pass play. It almost always worked...I remember screaming at the TV back then...lol! I think we've reached a level where we can play whatever kind of game the other teams let us play. Take what they give. You gotta love how Nico hits those crossing patterns right in stride though. Don't Ya!

Well, lets not forget how miserable an off week would have been if we had lost! Two whole weeks of bitchin and moanin before we got another chance to beat the next team!

Heupel played ultra conservative because the OU offense couldn't do a thing against our defense. We still haven't seen anything like the 2022 Bama game where we were guns blazing. That's coming though, no doubt!

It was multi-faceted.

OU had a defense that was a threat to Tennessee and Heupel wanted to avoid giving them turnovers or making a mistake

Tennessee's offensive line wasn't in great shape

Heupel wanted to reduce injuries on that field

Basically it was a combination of those 3 that caused Heupel to dial it back. Our offense wasn't going to explode and put up 50 but it could have likely got in the 30s put it would be at the risk of giving turnovers to OU, Nico hurt, etc. It was a game plan designed to keep this team healthy for our future matchups.

I think a lot of that was due to how much we were up. If we were down and/or threatened, I think we would have gone into normal sets and decided to roll the dice.

It felt like most of our passing plays were either TDs, sacks, or throwing it away. Oklahoma was playing a boom or bust type defense, and when you’re up by 3 scores there is no need to play the risky game.
Exactly. If they had burned us a couple times and gotten the score close we’d have no choice but to roll the dice. But we were in full control for the most part. Near the end it got a little sketchy, but still pretty far fetched.

If true, it shouldn't. Heupel admitted that he pulled back in a way that he has never done before. He knows Venables. Venables knows him. He uncharacteristically played not to make mistakes.

I hope we never see that Heupel again. If we do... this may end the way the Butch Jones experiment ended.

Of course it is a battle when talent levels are similar. Who said it wasn't? OU has a great D and not much consistency on O. UT's best match up in a road game was their D against the opponent's O. They got a lead and milked it knowing the D had control of the game. Even OU's late success was after UT started playing softer to avoid big plays. I hate the style. UT has never been good at it. But there it was.

This week the Vols get Arkansas. Not sure if you think of them as a near "peer to peer" contest... but the Vols should roll them. I will be concerned if they don't. On D they haven't played a very strong schedule and against FBS only they're 13th in the SEC in total D. The Vols are 1st.

Heupel's use of this game will be interesting. Nico needs to work on some things. He needs a confidence builder. Arkansas is last in the SEC in passing D allowing 282 per game. UT is 3rd... .5 yds/gm behind 1st.

UT in spite of the OU game is near the top in every offensive category. Arkansas is as well... but they've played trash Ds.

I fully expect UT's D to show up strong again... and for the Vols to score a TON of points.

Now... how will they play or fare vs Bama and UGA? Who really knows? Two things will happen between now and Bama though. The Vols get a week off to correct some of what they learned vs OU and Nico will get two more SEC games under his belt before Bama comes to Neyland.

Your attempt to throw a wet blanket over the enthusiasm we have about the potential of this team is noted- but not shared.

The 2nd best thing may have been when the camera panned to student section and the coed did an adjustment that bounced.

Reactions: Sarms58
He went conservative because both of our starting tackles were out and Nico was getting bull rushed and strip sacked.
Absolutely. Had we been able to protect Nico and had the receivers been able to consistently get separation, we would have run the offense as we have in the last three games. But Oklahoma’s D took that away. I’m not sure what game some of thee folks were watching when they act like Heupel just decided to play conservative because we got ahead. We adjusted the best we could based on how well the OU D was playing us…keep in mind that Brent Venables is very familiar with our O and Oklahoma had been prepping for this game since spring. One or two other teams we play may have more talent on D than Oklahoma but I doubt any will be as prepared as they were.

If true, it shouldn't. Heupel admitted that he pulled back in a way that he has never done before. He knows Venables. Venables knows him. He uncharacteristically played not to make mistakes.

I hope we never see that Heupel again. If we do... this may end the way the Butch Jones experiment ended.

Of course it is a battle when talent levels are similar. Who said it wasn't? OU has a great D and not much consistency on O. UT's best match up in a road game was their D against the opponent's O. They got a lead and milked it knowing the D had control of the game. Even OU's late success was after UT started playing softer to avoid big plays. I hate the style. UT has never been good at it. But there it was.

This week the Vols get Arkansas. Not sure if you think of them as a near "peer to peer" contest... but the Vols should roll them. I will be concerned if they don't. On D they haven't played a very strong schedule and against FBS only they're 13th in the SEC in total D. The Vols are 1st.

Heupel's use of this game will be interesting. Nico needs to work on some things. He needs a confidence builder. Arkansas is last in the SEC in passing D allowing 282 per game. UT is 3rd... .5 yds/gm behind 1st.

UT in spite of the OU game is near the top in every offensive category. Arkansas is as well... but they've played trash Ds.

I fully expect UT's D to show up strong again... and for the Vols to score a TON of points.

Now... how will they play or fare vs Bama and UGA? Who really knows? Two things will happen between now and Bama though. The Vols get a week off to correct some of what they learned vs OU and Nico will get two more SEC games under his belt before Bama comes to Neyland.

Your attempt to throw a wet blanket over the enthusiasm we have about the potential of this team is noted- but not shared.
Having a realistic opinion, based on watching sec football for decades is, in no way, throwing a wet blanket.

Setting crazy unrealistic expectations based on seeing 3 games against non conference, exceptionally weak teams is not only dumb, naive and a rookie move, it's also counter productive.

Lol your take is terrible and you should feel bad.

I think TN goes 11-1 but will have some really tough quarters/games to get there.

VN Store

Back