Offensive woes: Pretty insightful breakdown

If you enjoy film breakdown this guy does a great job, even if he’s a UGA homer. Check out the film guy network on youtube. He’s recently pivoted away from 99% uga content to grow his audience. I watched his breakdown of our offense against UF and needless to say it was eye opening. We really are just missing by a little bit on offense and of course UF played out of their minds and had a great game plan.

I think he hits the nail on the head with what’s going on, Heard is playing like he’s out of football shape and leading to some real inconsistency for him, Nico is getting sped up by the pressure and his footwork and progressions are failing because of it even with a clean pocket. There are plays to be made.

Hope you guys enjoy it. I hope he continues to do more content like this on all the teams in the league.

Thanks for posting. Very interesting and explained well. Our offensive line play either needs to improve (not likely) or we put in some wrinkles outside of our usual tendencies.
Brooks is pretty good at breakdowns. Unfortunately a lot of it is on Heard as seen on this video. He just is not gelling in this offense right now.

Nico is not too far gone. I think there is hope he can improve with better LT and RB pass pro.

It will be interesting against Bama because so far their DL hasn’t really been playing up to its potential.

Last edited:
That was excellent.

We ought to call our offense "Starbucks"

Because we are always one block away.
giphy.webp

Thanks for posting. Very interesting and explained well. Our offensive line play either needs to improve (not likely) or we put in some wrinkles outside of our usual tendencies.
This is where I hope JH adjusts. SEC D coordinators have seemingly figured out the JH offense...or at least how to take advantage of our OL... and WRs as a group, IMO, need to get better separation

Good breakdown. The offense is just a crap show right now, as this breakdown shows, across all positions but it is mainly OL play and then QB play. Heupel and staff know they have OL issues, which is why they have tried to address it with transfers but seems they have whiffed on adding good quality starters. It happens, especially when our program was left for dead a few years ago. They have also had a rough time recruiting and developing OL the last few classes, so misses in recruiting as well. Seems they are doing better in the upcoming OL recruiting class, but I would guess we hit the portal again in the offseason in hopes we find a couple of upper classmen who can start until the young guys from the 2025 class are ready. It is likely we will continue to have OL issues for the foreseeable future unless we really luck out in the portal or recruiting.

If you enjoy film breakdown this guy does a great job, even if he’s a UGA homer. Check out the film guy network on youtube. He’s recently pivoted away from 99% uga content to grow his audience. I watched his breakdown of our offense against UF and needless to say it was eye opening. We really are just missing by a little bit on offense and of course UF played out of their minds and had a great game plan.

I think he hits the nail on the head with what’s going on, Heard is playing like he’s out of football shape and leading to some real inconsistency for him, Nico is getting sped up by the pressure and his footwork and progressions are failing because of it even with a clean pocket. There are plays to be made.

Hope you guys enjoy it. I hope he continues to do more content like this on all the teams in the league.

Dude was spot on.

Florida had no fear of our deep passing game. Crowded the box all game

Yet we have Mike Matthews, Brazzel, White, and Thornton that are supposed to have 5th gears.

Bru needs more direct handoffs and Ethan Davis needs to be out there more.

We have too many weapons for this below average product that’s being put out…

Dude was spot on.

Florida had no fear of our deep passing game. Crowded the box all game

Yet we have Mike Matthews, Brazzel, White, and Thornton that are supposed to have 5th gears.

Bru needs more direct handoffs and Ethan Davis needs to be out there more.

We have too many weapons for this below average product that’s being put out…
This offensive line is hindering this team. Its hindering Nico, Its hindering the playcalling. Its bad. This isnt going to be fixed over night, but this staff needs to find a way to help it. I like the QB roll outs. They are not always going to work, but as the guy explained in the video. Nico has to hit some of these throws. The deep shot to Squirrell white, even Heupel said it in his presser, if White bends alittle sooner, thats a TD. Alot of plays we were just 1 block, 6 inches off a throw away from huge explosive plays. Lord help Alabama if we actually put it together.

This offensive line is hindering this team. It’s hindering Nico, Its hindering the playcalling. Its bad. This isnt going to be fixed over night, but this staff needs to find a way to help it. I like the QB roll outs. They are not always going to work, but as the guy explained in the video. Nico has to hit some of these throws. The deep shot to Squirrell white, even Heupel said it in his presser, if White bends alittle sooner, thats a TD. Alot of plays we were just 1 block, 6 inches off a throw away from huge explosive plays. Lord help Alabama if we actually put it together.
Rolling the pocket helped a lot. I said that during the Arkansas game that we needed to do that.

But playing calling- specifically the lack of creativity isn’t helping. It’s in fact hurting everyone. Many times it seems like Florida, Arkansas, and OU defenders knew what play was going to be run.

We’re running that inside counter way too often.
If you’re going to do that at least every once in a while pull the ball and roll out opposite.
- Motion Bru - fake hand off - then throw it to him in the flat as the 3rd option.
- Motion White onto the wing and do run him on a wheel like they did with Hyatt.
- have Davis chip the edge beside Heard the run to the middle of the field and sit. That would keep the outside free to work. Or a quick 8 yards to Davis.
- Throw it deep to Matthew’s on a 9 route- no route reading or space opening- just let him take off downfield and let him run under it.

The play calling has been absolute garbage, and too simplistic.
If you give enough misdirection then the defense begins to hesitate- WHICH HELPS THE OFFENSIVE LINE.

Our OC is reacting instead of dictating the follow of the game. Amateur

Rolling the pocket helped a lot. I said that during the Arkansas game that we needed to do that.

But playing calling- specifically the lack of creativity isn’t helping. It’s in fact hurting everyone. Many times it seems like Florida, Arkansas, and OU defenders knew what play was going to be run.

We’re running that inside counter way too often.
If you’re going to do that at least every once in a while pull the ball and roll out opposite.
- Motion Bru - fake hand off - then throw it to him in the flat as the 3rd option.
- Motion White onto the wing and do run him on a wheel like they did with Hyatt.
- have Davis chip the edge beside Heard the run to the middle of the field and sit. That would keep the outside free to work. Or a quick 8 yards to Davis.
- Throw it deep to Matthew’s on a 9 route- no route reading or space opening- just let him take off downfield and let him run under it.

The play calling has been absolute garbage, and too simplistic.
If you give enough misdirection then the defense begins to hesitate- WHICH HELPS THE OFFENSIVE LINE.

Our OC is reacting instead of dictating the follow of the game. Amateur
Hard to be creative when your offensive line is this bad. I was critical of playcalling to. But as soon as you hike the ball your guards are getting blown off the ball, or your tackles are wiffing on simple crash down blocks. The TE's on several plays were running up 5 yards and sitting wide open, but Nico's first read isnt open he has to run for his life. Maybe change Nico's first read to the easy stuff first? idk.. this is tough man.

It's frustrating that the OL isn't good. But I wonder if we are continuing to try to run the offense in hopes they improve enough and it clicks? If we just go one dimensional too vanilla...does it make a difference?

If it is an out of game shape thing with Lance, it would be awesome if he continually improved over the season and got better. He definitely needs it and so does this team.
If it's just that he's out of shape, we should probably be rotating Dayne Davis in on more plays... particularly if we intend on having a run heavy series.

Reactions: Teeman
Hard to be creative when your offensive line is this bad. I was critical of playcalling to. But as soon as you hike the ball your guards are getting blown off the ball, or your tackles are wiffing on simple crash down blocks. The TE's on several plays were running up 5 yards and sitting wide open, but Nico's first read isnt open he has to run for his life. Maybe change Nico's first read to the easy stuff first? idk.. this is tough man.
Have to call plays that get the ball out sooner. One read, not there? Hit the checkdown or take off running. Cannot hold the ball because the line won't give you time to go through all reads and then decide. I hate seeing a QB in the shotgun for the entire game, but that is what is needed.

VN Store

Back