Offensive woes: Pretty insightful breakdown

Have to call plays that get the ball out sooner. One read, not there? Hit the checkdown or take off running. Cannot hold the ball because the line won't give you time to go through all reads and then decide. I hate seeing a QB in the shotgun for the entire game, but that is what is needed.
I know this is a bit of couch wisdom but the best part about this is it causes the D to start sneaking up, opening up some daggers if Nico could make them more consistently.

Hard to be creative when your offensive line is this bad. I was critical of playcalling to. But as soon as you hike the ball your guards are getting blown off the ball, or your tackles are wiffing on simple crash down blocks. The TE's on several plays were running up 5 yards and sitting wide open, but Nico's first read isnt open he has to run for his life. Maybe change Nico's first read to the easy stuff first? idk.. this is tough man.
again.
Misdirection actually slows down the defense. Even if it’s just window dressing. This DIRECTLY affects pass blocking

We line up and pull the backside OT and the defense automatically knows it’s a counter and then they shoot right off the butt of the pulling lineman hitting Sampson Bishop for a loss. Why? Because they saw the play 4 times already…

So then the oline looks bad- when the truth is- it was doomed from the start.

Predictably can neutralize any offense. Halzle has no imagination at that is the number one problem. Golesh wasn’t some wizard either, but he did understand how to keep an opponent off balance and he had wrinkles to go to when the offense needed adjustment. Halzle???? Let’s run that inside counter just one more time Nico…smh

Now there are definitely many instances where the oline just whiffs!

We can’t purchase a new online overnight can we? So it falls on the play caller to mask or redirect attention. The offense has been very average since he’s been the OC.

Reactions: Teeman
It's frustrating that the OL isn't good. But I wonder if we are continuing to try to run the offense in hopes they improve enough and it clicks? If we just go one dimensional too vanilla...does it make a difference?
Of course it WOULDNT help!!!

That’s what the Arkansas DC was talking about.
Predictably!

That will neutralize any offense…

If it is an out of game shape thing with Lance, it would be awesome if he continually improved over the season and got better. He definitely needs it and so does this team.
If that's all it is, you would think he would at least play well the first drive. He was off from the second he hit the field. I think of "out of shape" as you can't sustain your level of play for 4 quarters.

Reactions: SasquatchVFL
If that's all it is, you would think he would at least play well the first drive. He was off from the second he hit the field. I think of "out of shape" as you can't sustain your level of play for 4 quarters.
Just going by what the guy said breaking down the film. I think the guy obviously is physically gifted, he wouldn't have been a 5 star recruit if he wasn't. Doesn't mean he will translate to an all world player in college but it's as good an indicator as you can get. He definitely needs to put the work in to improve.

If you enjoy film breakdown this guy does a great job, even if he’s a UGA homer. Check out the film guy network on youtube. He’s recently pivoted away from 99% uga content to grow his audience. I watched his breakdown of our offense against UF and needless to say it was eye opening. We really are just missing by a little bit on offense and of course UF played out of their minds and had a great game plan.

I think he hits the nail on the head with what’s going on, Heard is playing like he’s out of football shape and leading to some real inconsistency for him, Nico is getting sped up by the pressure and his footwork and progressions are failing because of it even with a clean pocket. There are plays to be made.

Hope you guys enjoy it. I hope he continues to do more content like this on all the teams in the league.

This is a good channel to watch. Straight shooter. We haven't come near our best ball. Alabama could be running into a buzz saw. They'd better hope that we don't put it together on their ass.

Rolling the pocket helped a lot. I said that during the Arkansas game that we needed to do that.

But playing calling- specifically the lack of creativity isn’t helping. It’s in fact hurting everyone. Many times it seems like Florida, Arkansas, and OU defenders knew what play was going to be run.

We’re running that inside counter way too often.
If you’re going to do that at least every once in a while pull the ball and roll out opposite.
- Motion Bru - fake hand off - then throw it to him in the flat as the 3rd option.
- Motion White onto the wing and do run him on a wheel like they did with Hyatt.
- have Davis chip the edge beside Heard the run to the middle of the field and sit. That would keep the outside free to work. Or a quick 8 yards to Davis.
- Throw it deep to Matthew’s on a 9 route- no route reading or space opening- just let him take off downfield and let him run under it.

The play calling has been absolute garbage, and too simplistic.
If you give enough misdirection then the defense begins to hesitate- WHICH HELPS THE OFFENSIVE LINE.

Our OC is reacting instead of dictating the follow of the game. Amateur
I complained about the play calling as well, but then I started watching film breakdowns going back to OK.

There's no shortage of open looks.

The problem seems pretty simple. Our OL is struggling. This has sped the game up for Nico. He's pressing. He's hearing footsteps. And it has created bad habits in the rare occasions when the pocket is clean.

Have to call plays that get the ball out sooner. One read, not there? Hit the checkdown or take off running. Cannot hold the ball because the line won't give you time to go through all reads and then decide. I hate seeing a QB in the shotgun for the entire game, but that is what is needed.
Two seconds and THROW the ball. Select a route, and toss it quickly and then, allow our great receivers to outmaneuver the opponents in a (usually) one on one situation. Those plays are almost ALWAYS good for 5 yards. When we spread the field, the LBs will have to pay more attention to the passing game and not be plugging up the holes so quickly.

Nico is capable of this. I have faith in him.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
I know this is a bit of couch wisdom but the best part about this is it causes the D to start sneaking up, opening up some daggers if Nico could make them more consistently.
Those throws are right there . I think we are so close to hitting on some of those. If we hit just a couple of those then we get start rushing the ball
more effectively.

Just going by what the guy said breaking down the film. I think the guy obviously is physically gifted, he wouldn't have been a 5 star recruit if he wasn't. Doesn't mean he will translate to an all world player in college but it's as good an indicator as you can get. He definitely needs to put the work in to improve.
#53 did look like a 5 star when he was leading D Sampson up the middle on that 23 yard TD run and got a crucial block and blew the defender out of the way and was all the way in the end zone by time Sampson scored. So he has some dog in him just not sure what's going on on with his pass protection. This play was something you would see on a recruiting hi-lite.

How did the OL get so bad so quick. They weren’t terrible last year. And most pieces are back this year. And the pieces we lost were mediocre players. Just seems odd.

It's frustrating that the OL isn't good. But I wonder if we are continuing to try to run the offense in hopes they improve enough and it clicks? If we just go one dimensional too vanilla...does it make a difference?
I believe we're already one dimensional, the stats show we're running the ball way more than we're throwing it. I believe we will get back to our normal offense as the season goes on though

VN Store

Back