55 Years and Counting!

There I was, disguised as a skinny 12-year-old, perched in Section RR on 20 September 1969 watching the mighty Vols take on the University of Chattanooga. This would be Chattanooga's last hurrah as an independent institution. In 1970, they would be fully absorbed into the UT System as UT Chattanooga.

Gawd, and what Mighty Vols they were!

The names will cause many a graybeard Vol to get a faraway look and then a fond smile: Scott, Watson, Kell, McClain, Delong, Kreis, Hunt, Weaver, Thompson, Walker, Reynolds, Rotella, Majors, Priest, ... thanks, guys.

The years since have added many more legends: Manning, Martin, Clifton, Hall, Wilson, Price, Pickens, Hooker, just to mention a few.

Both of my boys attended their first games in their Momma's tummy and remain Vols now that they are both grown. My emotions are a stew of awe, pride and humility.

And so I shall be there once again this coming Saturday as the Mighty Vols square off against Chattanooga once again to see yet another circle complete.

View attachment 669967

BTW, I will once again open that little Smart Pill Machine* to bring you my take on this year's proceedings.

Tentative schedule:

2024 Maxim Topics

UTC – Missionary Ridge
NC State – El Guettar
Kent State –Outpost Kelly
Oklahoma- Marvin Shields, USN MOH
Arkansas – Blanc Mont Ridge
Florida – David McCampbell
Bama – 10th AD at Bastogne
SUK – Roger's Rangers
MSU – The Tester Brothers
Georgia – U.S.Army Chaplain Father Emil Kapaun, MoH
UTEP- Wagon Box
Vandy– Edson's Ridge
Bowl– Arleigh Burke

*H/T the late great Leonard Postoasties
I was at that game with my Father who was dropping me off in Knoxville for my Freshman year.

VN Store

Back