8/17/06Articles.. word on Williams

This is absolutely a case study in why the NCAA should be ground into fine powder. I believe the criteria I have heard is that any jump of 4+ points on the ACT will probably result in the test being invalidated.
the article on govolsxtra said it that any increase of 5+ pts got the red flag...just for clarification...agree with your assesment 100%.

Is 21 a magic number, or you aren't allowed to drop more than 2 points below a suspicious score - such as the 23? :BANGHEAD2:
not sure , but the w/in two points makes sense...the article worded it such that he would have to score a 21 to validate the original 23 score....

The Clearinghouse is basically calling Williams a cheater without providing any proof to back such a claim up. Again, if I was Williams, I'd start looking at lawyers.

The Clearinghouse is basically calling Williams a cheater without providing any proof to back such a claim up. Again, if I was Williams, I'd start looking at lawyers.
Challenges to NCAA rules generally don't get very far, because they're a voluntary organization. They simply argue that they get to set their own standards, that generally covers them.

Challenges to NCAA rules generally don't get very far, because they're a voluntary organization. They simply argue that they get to set their own standards, that generally covers them.

Hmmm, how about Jesse Jackson then?

Williams would see playing time quicker by taking the ACT multiple times rather than get a lawyer involved.

Williams would see playing time quicker by taking the ACT multiple times rather than get a lawyer involved.

Why should he have to? If he made a valid score he shouldn't be forced to retake it just because he improved.

No but they obviously think he cheated.

I heard a good call on SportsTalk today that talked about these standardized tests. They have to insist that these score improvements are extremely rare and out of the ordinary. Otherwise they would have to admit the fact that the tests are not an accurate measure of qualification. If a person could increase their score dramatically by just taking the test again they would pretty much prove the test to be an inaccurate measurement of knowledge.

No but they obviously think he cheated.

I heard a good call on SportsTalk today that talked about these standardized tests. They have to insist that these score improvements are extremely rare and out of the ordinary. Otherwise they would have to admit the fact that the tests are not an accurate measure of qualification. If a person could increase their score dramatically by just taking the test again they would pretty much prove the test to be an inaccurate measurement of knowledge.

I can say from experience that standardized test scores can fluctuate due to circumstances. My 2nd attempt at the SAT when I was in high school was 220 points higher than my first attempt. The difference was that I was sick the first time I took it and had no business even being in the room (plus they made me use a righthanded desk which is a severe pain when you are lefthanded).

I don't think there is any question that these scores can fluctuate dramatically. The powers that be just can't/won't admit it.

VN Store

Back