A New Curse?

Vol in Buckeye Land

I need some advice from those better-versed in jinxes, curses, and all manner of commonplace voodoo and tomfoolery.

Two years ago, I made a bet with a friend of mine who’s a Bammer (I know, I know, make better friends). He bet that Stetson Bennett would go in the first four rounds of the 2023 NFL Draft; I bet that he would go 5th or later, if at all. I was feeling pretty confident. Then the freaking Rams took the little goober late in the fourth.

The conditions of our bet were this; the winner would choose a piece of gear sporting their team’s insignia (ballcap, t-shirt, whatever) for the loser to purchase and wear on a game day of the winner’s choosing, the TSIO excluded as that would be too cruel a fate for either of us to risk.

I didn’t like it, but I was ready to take my lumps. The thing is…he’s never followed through on “collecting” the terms of the bet. Since the terms specified that the winner choose a piece of apparel, I figure the ball is in his court.

Here’s my question, though: by leaving this bet effectively unresolved, have I allowed my Bammer friend to put a mojo on us? What if we are unable to beat the Gumps again until I hold up my end of the bargain?

Where’s Witch Doctor when you need him…

The only voodoo that Tennessee fans need to concern themselves with is the curse of Rohan Davey.

In 2002's SEC title game, we were playing LSU for a chance to go to the Rose Bowl and play for a second title in 4 years. We hit Rohan late out of bounds and he was injured. His mother (a voodoo priest) feared it ruined his NFL draft stock and placed a 20 year voodoo curse upon the vols. We mostly sucked for the next 20 years, wallowing in the college football dungeon.

Just so happens that in 2022, the curse was over and the Vols returned!!! Dismiss it if you wish, but I think the timeline is far too accurate to not have some legs!

I need some advice from those better-versed in jinxes, curses, and all manner of commonplace voodoo and tomfoolery.

Two years ago, I made a bet with a friend of mine who’s a Bammer (I know, I know, make better friends). He bet that Stetson Bennett would go in the first four rounds of the 2023 NFL Draft; I bet that he would go 5th or later, if at all. I was feeling pretty confident. Then the freaking Rams took the little goober late in the fourth.

The conditions of our bet were this; the winner would choose a piece of gear sporting their team’s insignia (ballcap, t-shirt, whatever) for the loser to purchase and wear on a game day of the winner’s choosing, the TSIO excluded as that would be too cruel a fate for either of us to risk.

I didn’t like it, but I was ready to take my lumps. The thing is…he’s never followed through on “collecting” the terms of the bet. Since the terms specified that the winner choose a piece of apparel, I figure the ball is in his court.

Here’s my question, though: by leaving this bet effectively unresolved, have I allowed my Bammer friend to put a mojo on us? What if we are unable to beat the Gumps again until I hold up my end of the bargain?

Just get a stupid white bubba hat and tell him to name the game and maybe most people will assume it's the Braves. Don't chance bringing that bad mojo on us Ricky .

The only voodoo that Tennessee fans need to concern themselves with is the curse of Rohan Davey.

In 2002's SEC title game, we hit Rohan late out of bounds and he was injured. His mother (a voodoo priest) feared it ruined his NFL draft stock and placed a 20 year voodoo curse upon the vols. We mostly sucked for the next 20 years, wallowing in the college football dungeon.

Just so happens that in 2022, the curse was over and the Vols returned!!! Dismiss it if you wish, but I think the timeline is far too accurate to not have some legs!
I think you’re on to something.

1724788725164.gif

Just get a stupid white bubba hat and tell him to name the game and maybe most people will assume it's the Braves. Don't chance bringing that bad mojo on us Ricky .
This is a great suggestion. Nobody up here will know it, but I think Alcoa has started using the stupid “mullet A,” and crimson ain’t far from Maroon. I’ll just tell myself it’s that.

In honor of Stetson Bennett, I would get drunk and then get a bulldog tattoo

There's a way out of this. But it's tricky.

You have to sucker-punch him 5 times on clearly moonlit nights. Only one punch counts each night; you can't get it all over with 5 quick punches in a single evening.

After the first punch, you have to tell him why you did it.

After the second punch, you have to tell him that you still need to do it three more times.

That is gonna make it really hard to surprise him the final three times.

You can use mind-alteration (get him drunk or stoned or whatever) only once. So save that for one of the last three times.

You can only do it while he's sleeping once. Ditto.

If you successfully get all five sucker punches in, then run around his house COUNTER-clockwise seven times, curse Bama as loud as you can, and find a bluetick hound to pet within five minutes.

Do all that, and you break the curse.

Good luck. We're counting on you.

Go Vols!

p.s. I've never been a witch doctor, but I did stay at a holiday inn express in Haiti for six months once.

Last edited:

In 2002's SEC title game, we were playing LSU for a chance to go to the Rose Bowl and play for a second title in 4 years. We hit Rohan late out of bounds and he was injured. His mother (a voodoo priest) feared it ruined his NFL draft stock and placed a 20 year voodoo curse upon the vols. We mostly sucked for the next 20 years, wallowing in the college football dungeon.

In men's basketball, there is the curse of losing to Julius Peppers and North Carolina with a Final Four berth on the line with the most talented roster in school history.

Reactions: Wezcoast

Sometimes I picture her sitting in her dark living room watching others' highlight reels of clowning us over the last 2 decades, cackling her ass off like a psycho.

DAM-! I sure am glad the season is about to start so we can dispense with this personal problem kinda stuff.

DAM-! I sure am glad the season is about to start so we can dispense with this personal problem kinda stuff.
Savannah, sadly that's just gonna be the start of a whole new set of personal problems.

Some percentage of us are going to conclude that a piece of clothing we wore was DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for our team's success. From that point on, they'll wear that clothing item over and over again, every Saturday in the fall and early winter. For YEARS.

Others are going to associate success with a certain food. Or drink. Or place they were sitting. Or who was with them. Or...well, you see the problem.

We're gonna need a whole lotta voodoo to get out of this one.

Go Vols!

I have your solution. I'm a huge LIV golf fan and my favorite team is Dustin Johnsons 4 Aces. Buy their team hat and wear it proudly to any game.

Side note----Bama has a lawsuit against The 4 Aces because they say they own the rights to the A----evidently, they think it is a copy right infringement

You win because you don't have to wear the Bama hat since they think it looks like their hat

That was the curse of 3rd and Chavis. Would not put a spy to watch the QB

VN Store

Back