A Stat To Be Happy About

rexvol

The Minister of Defense
You have to run the ball in the SEC, period.

2,237 yards is the average number of yards rushing per season in Butch Jones' career as head coach. In six season's, Jones' offense has rushed for more than 2,000 yards in four of those years.

Reactions: 5 people
And with this offensive line I don't see how that's not possible. Not a big fan if Neal more a Lane fan and it baffles me this offensive was SO good at pass pro but not run blocking. This offensive line is awesome so maybe butch and co can coach em up for the run.

Agree running is critical to the O's success but hmmm, wonder what our rushing stats have been for the last 5 years?

this line can take care of business! Fooley preached pass blocking with the line last year. everyone knew that was our bread and butter. so of course the run blocking got tossed to the whey side. but Jones is a perfectionist and will have us clicking on all cylinders this year, BIG ORANGE MACHINE!

Last edited:
Those stats for Tennessee are misleading IMO. I don't recall getting a ton of meaningful yards against top competition. I could be wrong but during those years aside from Hardesty we have pounded the rock like our stats appear to say. Just my 2 cents.

this line can take of business! Fooley preached pass blocking with the line last year. everyone knew that was our bread and butter. so of course the run blocking got tossed to the whey side. but Jones is a perfectionist and will have us clicking on all cylinders this year, BIG ORANGE MACHINE!

*curds & whey

Reactions: 4 people
So, basically, excusing 2011, we were average or really good at running the ball.

What a shock that most fans don't realize.

Last I checked we played in the SEC and if you take out the cupcake games (of which we recorded around 650 of the 1900 yards last year against over 4 games) we had 1,250.

Then take out the 300 yards CP recorded on reverses, and we are down to 950 rushing yards between 2 RB's vs SEC opponents.

Even more embarrassing (or impressive) is that our TD leader starts at LB.

It's not exactly a secret that our O-Line is beast, so basically once we hand the ball off as of late, we don't hit the holes quick enough or go down to easy. CBJ recorded good stats with players that I'm sure he thought fit his scheme. Doesn't mean he can just sprinkle some fairy dust on our RBs and we will be hitting 2500 yards. I hope he and the staff really helps these guys though because these players that are juniors and seniors deserve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Not trying to be a negative Nancy but the SEC is an entirely different animal. Though it is good to see he is committed to the run

Last I checked we played in the SEC and if you take out the cupcake games (of which we recorded around 650 of the 1900 yards last year against over 4 games) we had 1,250.

Then take out the 300 yards CP recorded on reverses, and we are down to 950 rushing yards between 2 RB's vs SEC opponents.

It's not exactly a secret that our O-Line is beast, so basically once we hand the ball off as of late, we don't hit the holes quick enough or go down to easy. CBJ recorded good stats with players that I'm sure he thought fit his scheme. Doesn't mean he can just sprinkle some fairy dust on our RBs and we will be hitting 2500 yards. I hope he and the staff really helps these guys though because these players that are juniors and seniors deserve it.

That's how this should be broken down. Nice job.

no....:eek:lol: but solid coaching and an effort to be balanced can make a difference.

Considering a 12 game schedule, our rushing stats from the last several years are not impressive for this league.

Reactions: 2 people
So, basically, excusing 2011, we were average or really good at running the ball.

What a shock that most fans don't realize.

1500 yards team rushing is not very much at all. 1800 (150 ypg)yards is an average amount.

And with this offensive line I don't see how that's not possible. Not a big fan if Neal more a Lane fan and it baffles me this offensive was SO good at pass pro but not run blocking. This offensive line is awesome so maybe butch and co can coach em up for the run.

My guess is when you get so far behind, you have to pass more. One thing about CPF, he stuck with the run and it would almost always come around, even if the going was tough early.

CDD and Cheney would reach a point usually in the second or third quarter where they would abandon the run even when we were up. They didn't know how to salt away a victory and once they abandoned the run, the passes were easier to defend.

Reactions: 1 person

We run the clock out quicker when we run the ball.

Except that's not how stats work. The fact of the matter is, CP DID have 300 rushing yards. The fact is we rushed for 650 in games that you "don't approve of" doesn't mean we didn't do it. The NFL doesn't give a damn who they score against, who they set records against, the fact is they DO. You don't see people going "Oh, well Aaron Rodgers threw three touchdowns against the worst team in the NFL, so let's not count them."

You're doing what you can to discredit the facts, and that's fine and a common tactic when there isn't much to lean on, but anyone with real intelligence knows that numbers don't lie, and the numbers are that a 1900 yard rushing season is not even close to "bad" like so many thought we were.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back