A Stat To Be Happy About

this line can take of business! Fooley preached pass blocking with the line last year. everyone knew that was our bread and butter. so of course the run blocking got tossed to the whey side. but Jones is a perfectionist and will have us clicking on all cylinders this year, BIG ORANGE MACHINE!

why not preach pass blocking? Our defense was not good, so we had to play catch up. How to score quickly better than a passing game?

We had Rogers, Patterson, Hunter, & Rivera all to catch the ball, and all are in the N.F.L. now. Why not throw the ball?

I remember when Nutt was the coach of Ar Kansas. He had Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis & McFadden at running back. He ran the ball, then ran the ball then ran it some more. Mitch Mustangs mom got mad because they didn't pass enough to highlight her son's passing skills. Mustang ended up transferring to USC, where he was over recruited and he never played there. Had he remained at Ar Kansas, he would have played alot and possibly been on an NFL team.

why not preach pass blocking? Our defense was not good, so we had to play catch up. How to score quickly better than a passing game?

We had Rogers, Patterson, Hunter, & Rivera all to catch the ball, and all are in the N.F.L. now. Why not throw the ball?

I remember when Nutt was the coach of Ar Kansas. He had Felix Jones, Peyton Hillis & McFadden at running back. He ran the ball, then ran the ball then ran it some more. Mitch Mustangs mom got mad because they didn't pass enough to highlight her son's passing skills. Mustang ended up transferring to USC, where he was over recruited and he never played there. Had he remained at Ar Kansas, he would have played alot and possibly been on an NFL team.

Obviously we did pass block. IIRC, Bray was only sacked four times.

Last I checked we played in the SEC and if you take out the cupcake games (of which we recorded around 650 of the 1900 yards last year against over 4 games) we had 1,250.

Then take out the 300 yards CP recorded on reverses, and we are down to 950 rushing yards between 2 RB's vs SEC opponents.

Even more embarrassing (or impressive) is that our TD leader starts at LB.

It's not exactly a secret that our O-Line is beast, so basically once we hand the ball off as of late, we don't hit the holes quick enough or go down to easy. CBJ recorded good stats with players that I'm sure he thought fit his scheme. Doesn't mean he can just sprinkle some fairy dust on our RBs and we will be hitting 2500 yards. I hope he and the staff really helps these guys though because these players that are juniors and seniors deserve it.

*Slow Clap*

We have not been good running the ball lately, the first order stats do not tell the true story. The above analysis does.

Except that's not how stats work. The fact of the matter is, CP DID have 300 rushing yards. The fact is we rushed for 650 in games that you "don't approve of" doesn't mean we didn't do it. The NFL doesn't give a damn who they score against, who they set records against, the fact is they DO. You don't see people going "Oh, well Aaron Rodgers threw three touchdowns against the worst team in the NFL, so let's not count them."

You're doing what you can to discredit the facts, and that's fine and a common tactic when there isn't much to lean on, but anyone with real intelligence knows that numbers don't lie, and the numbers are that a 1900 yard rushing season is not even close to "bad" like so many thought we were.

Just when I thought I had seen it all on VN...

So basically you're proud/content that we HAD to put in our LB to score in the redzone because our RB's were to soft and that CP was really the best RB we had out of the "backfield" because he could actually make it to the corner without getting chased down and knew how to hit the holes at the right time.

Just answer me this, where was this "above average" rushing attack against oh say, Alabama? South Carolina? Maybe Florida? What about Vandy? ...... But at least we showed them D2 schools.

Say what you want, but reverses and beast packages don't win games much less championships...

Isn't this what people said about CBJ when Recruiting came up?

Its a common theme. People act as if the SEC is magical.

It isn't magic: the SEC is dominant because of talent, not just schemes.

If a coach can out recruit his competition, he will win against the lessor talented teams (think Saban, Miles, Fulmer, Richt). Only a few coaches actually use lessor talent to beat more talented teams consistently (think Petrino or Spurrier).

Get a coach who can historically out recruit his competition and also use lessor talent to beat more talented teams, and you have something very special (think Sumlin last year). Jones has several years of data to suggest he is this last category, a dual threat Coach, if you will.

Reactions: 2 people
Last I checked we played in the SEC and if you take out the cupcake games (of which we recorded around 650 of the 1900 yards last year against over 4 games) we had 1,250.

Then take out the 300 yards CP recorded on reverses, and we are down to 950 rushing yards between 2 RB's vs SEC opponents.

Even more embarrassing (or impressive) is that our TD leader starts at LB.

It's not exactly a secret that our O-Line is beast, so basically once we hand the ball off as of late, we don't hit the holes quick enough or go down to easy. CBJ recorded good stats with players that I'm sure he thought fit his scheme. Doesn't mean he can just sprinkle some fairy dust on our RBs and we will be hitting 2500 yards. I hope he and the staff really helps these guys though because these players that are juniors and seniors deserve it.

Great Post! It is posts like these that keep me coming back to VolNation message boards. (and I love the opportunity to read / discuss the Vols)

You would be correct sir. Doug Matthews seemed pretty optimistic about our run game on Big Orange Sunday this morning

I like to listen to Doug Matthews because he seems to make every attempt to be objective and he is very knowledgable...Never could figure out why he went to Vanderbilt....

Not trying to be a negative Nancy but the SEC is an entirely different animal. Though it is good to see he is committed to the run

Not to be a Positive Nancy,but coaching winning football in a smaller conference and coaching in a Larger Conference has no bearing on a coach. The Coach is not playing.He is coaching. watch a game..you'll see that he coaches

VN Store

Back