AJ and the Beast Package for Oregon

crunchimusmaximus

I think behind this line AJ running the ball would be close to unstoppable on goal line and third and short situations against Oregon's interior line....i hope we get to see it in short yardage situations...it was really a great creation by Chaney last season.

It is all gr8 untill he gets injured on offense and everyone blames Butch!!! We do not even have a decent second string LBers!!

Yeah IMO AJ just needs to focus on covering Oregon TE's and running backs. I doubt we'll see any Beast package. JMO TIFWIW.

I hate plays where everyone in the stadium knows who will get the ball. If we're that predictable (even on 3rd downs), I don't think we fair very well. When they think run, we must pass and vice-versa. If we're able to stay in the game until the end of the 3rd quarter, I believe we'll have a good chance.

Reactions: 2 people
I hate plays where everyone in the stadium knows who will get the ball. If we're that predictable (even on 3rd downs), I don't think we fair very well. When they think run, we must pass and vice-versa. If we're able to stay in the game until the end of the 3rd quarter, I believe we'll have a good chance.

TE could run a short out. AJ runs close to line, backs up and throws the jump pass.

I hate Urban Meyer, but that jump pass play is genius.

I don't see us utilizing A.J. like that with Maggit still questionable. Like the other poster said. We aren't that deep at LB. I would rather us be able to sustain long drives with our running game to keep that O offense off of the field for extended periods of time.

TE could run a short out. AJ runs close to line, backs up and throws the jump pass.

I hate Urban Meyer, but that jump pass play is genius.

Saw a vid where CBJ used a jump pass in a game in the middle of the field and it went for a TD. As for beast package, Refrigerator Perry, a la the Bears of the 80s, maybe Big Dan or Tiny on the goal line

As predictable as it is I don't recall anybody stopping the BEAST! The only thing I don't like about it is the risk of him getting hurt.

Behind our line against their interior dline beast should be able to score every time on 4th and 1...doesn't matter if everyone knows it is coming..we outmatch them up the middle across the board...

As predictable as it is I don't recall anybody stopping the BEAST! The only thing I don't like about it is the risk of him getting hurt.

This is where I am. Does the risk outweigh the reward? Unfortunately, I think so. If the Beast can get us into the endzone 2 times, then I think that'll just be 2 less touchdowns we lose by. I honestly just don't think using the Beast in this game will make a huge difference. Now, the Florida game is a different story.

Reactions: 1 person
This is where I am. Does the risk outweigh the reward? Unfortunately, I think so. If the Beast can get us into the endzone 2 times, then I think that'll just be 2 less touchdowns we lose by. I honestly just don't think using the Beast in this game will make a huge difference. Now, the Florida game is a different story.

How many times has AJ broken tackles to reach the end zone. I don't remember seeing many. Usually he just runs untouched which any of our backs can do.

Won't need trick plays and beast packages to stay in this game,
just well disciplined play that produces very long sustained scoring drives of 7 points.
No passes over 10 yards and lots of running.
4 down territory passed the 50.

How many times has AJ broken tackles to reach the end zone. I don't remember seeing many. Usually he just runs untouched which any of our backs can do.

He's not broken tackles, and that's not his job. His job is to use his strength to run over anyone in the way to gain that 1 or 2 yards. I saw him do THAT most the time.

I miss the days where everyone in the stadium knew who was getting the ball, what the play was, and they ran it anyway...to great effect. We need that level of nasty.

Reactions: 1 person
I created a poll a few days ago to try and find out how many people were in favor of the "beast package" or using defensive players on offense in general. I stated that I was against it for a couple of reasons.

1. Ball security (they dont go through the same ball security drills that RB's do)
2. cant afford to lose them on defense due to an injury trying to get 1yd.

You would have thought I cussed CBJ and his whole family because I questioned the use of this particular formation. Glad to see the waters are calmer now.

The poll ended up at 31 against it and 54 for it and about 130 dont cares. Ironically, IMO, those "dont cares" will be the ones who gripe about it the most if something goes wrong while we in the beast package.

Last edited:
I don't see us utilizing A.J. like that with Maggit still questionable. Like the other poster said. We aren't that deep at LB. I would rather us be able to sustain long drives with our running game to keep that O offense off of the field for extended periods of time.

Not sure how you could use the word utilizing. AJ is an overrated linebacker that stops guys running right at him. No coverage skills. Average lateral pursuit. The so called "beast" package was an abomination. Any time he got yards you could've substituted anybody in there & got yards.

Not sure how you could use the word utilizing. AJ is an overrated linebacker that stops guys running right at him. No coverage skills. Average lateral pursuit. The so called "beast" package was an abomination. Any time he got yards you could've substituted anybody in there & got yards.

I don't know about ANYBODY, but I think it's a valid point. More than anything, I think the Beast package highlighted how flawed our offense was.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back