AL MVP: Trout or Cabrera?

AL MVP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Trout. Much better denfeder. Much better on base paths. And as valuable to a better team. His hitting isn't that much worse than Cabrera's either.

Reactions: 1 person
MVP is not necessarily about the best all around player, nor about who has been/will be more consistent. The most valuable player for his team this year is Cabrera. He put his team on his back down the stretch and helped get them to the playoffs. Trout didn't do that. He may one day, but that's not relevant to this award.

Fwiw, Cabrera hasn't exactly been bad at the hot corner.

MVP is not necessarily about the best overall player, nor about who has been/will be more consistent. The most valuable player for his team this year is Cabrera. He put his team on his back down the stretch and helped get them to the playoffs. Trout didn't do that. He may one day, but that's not relevant to this award.

So Miggy gets the MVP because he is in the worst division in baseball?

I wasn't aware that the Tigers didn't have any other players for this stretch run that would have landed them in 4th in the AL West.

People who want Miggy to win will want that no matter what, but wow, some of the justifications are entertaining.

The playoffs argument doesn't hold water here. Miggy playing better in the this stretch run should, but Trout hasn't bombed. The Angels actually have been playing good. Just so happens they couldn't catch the A's and Texas (the Tigers wouldn't have either).

I think it really comes down to what you value more in a great baseball player. A big bat who has held thier own on defense, or the perfect 5 tool player. What Trout has done defensively and on the base paths, along with great hitting wins out for me.

Reactions: 3 people
The playoffs argument doesn't hold water here. Miggy playing better in the this stretch run should, but Trout hasn't bombed. The Angels actually have been playing good. Just so happens they couldn't catch the A's and Texas (the Tigers wouldn't have either).

I think it really comes down to what you value more in a great baseball player. A big bat who has held thier own on defense, or the perfect 5 tool player. What Trout has done defensively and on the base paths, along with great hitting wins out for me.

Reasonable, well-stated argument. That "big bat" isn't much bigger than Trout's.

So Miggy gets the MVP because he is in the worst division in baseball?

I wasn't aware that the Tigers didn't have any other players for this stretch run that would have landed them in 4th in the AL West.
What I said has nothing to do w/ the strength of the division. It has to do with how important he was this season to getting his team to the playoffs. I don't believe it's relevant what division that player plays in.

I wouldn't argue with Trout getting MVP, I just think Cabrera is more deserving. Your attitude toward everyone's opinion that is different than your own is comical.

Last edited:
I don't think you can say Cabrera carrying his team to 2 less wins than Trout's in a worse division is a positive.

That's how I feel too. I mean, the kid is 20 years old and look at what he's done. He could be the best player to ever step on the diamond.

Seems crazy, but he very well could be the best player to step on the diamond if this year is a sign of the things to come. Doesn't sound right saying that but this kid is unbelievable. Easily the best player in the MLB at 20.

What I said has nothing to do w/ the strength of the division. It has to do with how important he was this season to getting his team to the playoffs. I don't believe it's relevant what division that player plays in.

I wouldn't argue with Trout getting MVP, I just think Cabrera is more deserving. Your attitude toward everyone's opinion that is different than your own is comical.

If the Angels had made the playoffs, would Trout be your mvp?

Didn't mean to sound comical, or rude, toward anybody's opinion.

If the Angels had made the playoffs, would Trout be your mvp?

Didn't mean to sound comical, or rude, toward anybody's opinion.
I think that makes it even closer and we're almost splitting hairs now anyway. Flip a coin?

I know the Angels had a better record and faced tougher pitching, but Cabrera turned it up a notch when the season was on the line. That's the difference for me. That, and he won the Triple Crown, lol.

Let's also keep in mind he did this in a pitcher friendly park.

Well, that was my point... why does that make it even closer, or affect it at all? The Angels were better than the Tigers this season.

The award doesn't matter. It doesn't shed any light on how good either player is. They're both great.

The award is self explanatory, imo. What player was the most valuable to his team? If Cabrera had not had such a great September, won the Triple Crown and his team made the playoffs, then Trout is obviously the MVP and we're not having this conversation.

So, again, if the Tigers were in a different division, Trout is the MVP. That's what I meant mentioning the division. I think Miggy will win it, though.

The award is self explanatory, imo. What player was the most valuable to his team? If Cabrera had not had such a great September, won the Triple Crown and his team made the playoffs, then Trout is obviously the MVP and we're not having this conversation.

But without Trout, the Angels lose more games than the Tigers would with Cabrera out. Doesn't that make Trout more valuable?

I think Trout is the better player. But Miggy is the MVP this year

I would agree with you if Cabrera could play a lick of defense. The Triple Crown is an amazing accomplishment, but if you absolutely suck in other aspects of the game, you shouldn't be MVP.

Cabrera is more valuable (MVP), Trout is more impressive. Case Closed.

VN Store

Back