'20 AL OL James Robinson (UT SIGNEE)

SCOUTING REPORT
"If you haven't seen him play, when you turn on the film, you'll figure out real quick that he can play. He goes hard. He has that mentality, not only as an offensive lineman but a football player. He has that dog mentality.

His strength is definitely run blocking. Areas to work on is his vertical kick in pass blocking. His mentality has progressed. I've seen him grow as a person. His energy, on the field and off the field. I wouldn't say it was negative but probably not conducive to what we're trying to get done offensively if we have a bad drive. I've seen him grow in his leadership and positive attitude. That's what we need from him.
The sky is the limit for this kid. He really has it."
Carver coach James Thompson

"I started covering James in ninth grade. One of the first things that jumped out to me was his feet and agility.
"Just the way he moves. His overall athleticism at that age, at that size. Fast-forward to now and obviously he's gotten bigger and stronger, little more aggressive and likes to finish his blocks more, but he still has a lot of room to grow fundamentally, which you like about his upside.
He's a guy that can pull and get down the field. He's gotten better at driving guys more consistently off the ball in the run game. He has a ways to go in his pass sets, and that's typically the area of development for most high school offensive lineman. But his bend, flexibility, feet, balance."
— Rivals Southeast analyst Chad Simmons told VolQuest.

HOW WILL ROBINSON FIT IN WITH THE VOLS?
Tennessee landed a true mauler Thursday, as multiple SEC coaches believe Robinson has one of the more powerful punches of any lineman in the 2020 class. The 6-foot-4, 325-pound Alabama native plays tackle for Carver but he projects as a swing guy for Tennessee — capable of playing some right tackle but best-suited on the interior.
Both Friend and Jim Chaney love Robinson's competitiveness, aggression and heavy hands. Considering the unknowns at both guard spots this fall, Robinson is the type of athletic lineman who could see the field early so long as his conditioning and mental makeup are up to snuff.
"I don't want to say he's slept on overall, but he's a guy who some people don't realize how good he is or can be down the road," Simmons added.
"He's a basketball kid, too. He can run up and down the court. He's very coordinated for an offensive lineman and you love that in today's game, especially playing in the SEC."

WHAT DOES ROBINSON'S COMMITMENT MEAN FOR TENNESSEE?
Robinson becomes the third offensive lineman in the class, joining Cooper Mays and Jonvontez Spraggins. All three prospects are bulls ready for a fight. With the interior set, Tennessee will turn its full attention on landing a tackle.
Although Chris Morris could be another swing guy, the Vols are recruiting the 4-star Memphis native to ultimately play on the outside. They're in a contentious battle with Texas A&M there, with the Aggies currently holding the upper hand. Both schools will get him back on campus again this fall.
Other tackle targets include Marcus Dumervil, who recently visited Florida, and JUCOs Antwan Reed and Tairiq Stewart.
Rivals

pRKdWiK.gif

VN Store

Back