Alabama

statman

First of all let me start this topic out by saying I have been going to Tennessee football
Games since 1961. the game I look forward to the most every year is Alabama.
Since the beginning of the sec at one time or another Tennessee and Alabama have ruled
I have been to a lot of games down there the fans were always polite and knowledgeable
I have always had respect for them. After all the stuff that’s been going on the past few years. I still look forward to the game with them. It’s called tradition, old school tradition.
Every school in the sec has had a scuff with the NCAA including Tennessee. All except
Vandy maybe. At the same time im glad to see Memphis become fair playing ground.
The game is always one of the best of the year no matter what the teams are ranked.
Bama will be back that’s a given. But right now they are playing for pride. They still don’t have the depth to win the sec. it’s a heated rivalry right now and that’s ok with
Me. But guess what? It always has been and always will be the best game in October.

As john ward says its football time in Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why it, isnt an holiday? I'll never know?

For most Vol and Bama fans, The 3rd saturday in October, is religion.
So much that now, it isnt even on the 3rd sat, we still know and call it just that!
Fans keep the tradition alive and well (speaking loosely). :gun:

I would think that because of recent history, UF-UT would be way up there as well. Recently, the winner of the game has gone to ATL 9 times out of 10. Very big, and because of the very close, "debatable" games, not many of the fans care for eachother. A very good rivally as well, for me, its starting to get bigger than the F$U game, but not quite there yet, lol, well see what happens this year, it could push it over the top.

Your right the road to the seccg starts in gainsville.
and it will be a big game in the east every year

but it still has a long way to go to match the bama game
i mean for old school guys like myself. florida just came on the
seen in the 90's. bama go's way back to the day's when even
vandy was a power in the sec.

Yeah, I wouldnt know about those, but for the students, or recently graduated, it might be a bigger game to them. Maybe some younger guys on here can shed some light on the situation.

And it should! Between UT and GA, for UF fans as well. Win a ring in ATL, and you've done what you have set out to do!
The rest is out of hand'. Death, taxes, and UT,Fla, and Ga wins the east.

You have me by 4 years. First game was in 1965. The UA game WAS our rival game until the SEC split. when the split ocurred, it remained our #1 rival game for several years. However, UF's emergence as well as UGa shifted the focus to those 2 teams in the SECE. In addition, we began to realize that it was only a "Rivalry" to the UA people when THEY were winning every year. IMO for a game to truly be called a rivalry, it has to be competitive every year and there also has to be respect between the 2 parties. We know the answer to the respect issue in regard to UA...they have none, in fact, they don't even respect themselves anymore...regardless of what they say.

Living in this state, the UA game is huge for me. When we win, the idiots leave me alone for the next 12 months, however, IMO UF and UGa are currently our biggest rivals in the conference.

Originally posted by IBleedOrange24/7@Jul 26, 2005 12:21 AM
Why it, isnt an holiday? I'll never know?

For most Vol and Bama fans, The 3rd saturday in October, is religion.
So much that now, it isnt even on the 3rd sat, we still know and call it just that!
Fans keep the tradition alive and well (speaking loosely).  :gun:
[snapback]118256[/snapback]​

If I'm not mistaken, the UT-UA game will be on the third saturday in Oct. in a couple of years (maybe next year, 'm too lazy to look it up)

I think bammer is easily the best rival we have. As Younger guys learn and as bammer gets better the heat will rise. This year will be crazy.

Originally posted by VolBeef88@Jul 26, 2005 2:49 PM
I think bammer is easily the best rival we have. As Younger guys learn and as bammer gets better the heat will rise. This year will be crazy.
[snapback]118354[/snapback]​

Last year I went to see the Bama-Ole Miss game in Tuscalooserville and before the game I removed my UT license plate when I parked. One of the Bama fans said that's probably a pretty good idea.

Originally posted by 9296potsguy@Jul 26, 2005 2:57 PM
Last year I went to see the Bama-Ole Miss game in Tuscalooserville and before the game I removed my UT license plate when I parked.  One of the Bama fans said that's probably a pretty good idea.
[snapback]118356[/snapback]​

Did the same thing when I stopped overnight to stay at a friend's place in Gainesville on the way down to Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale

Even being a "younger" guy, and having watched UT dominate Bama since my childhood, I still consider them our biggest rival.

There's just something about the Third Saturday in October, when the air outside starts to get cooler and the leaves start falling. Everytime I walk outside at that time of year it makes me think of UT-Alabama. The way the crimson and orange uniforms look on the field together at the same time resembles the colors of the leaves on the ground outside.

two of the most storied programs in the sec.....i look forward to the ut game more so than the auburn game.

Do you live in Alabama "GOT TWELVE"?

If not, Im not suprised. Im not trying to be mean or negative, so dont think Im making fun of you or anything. But it seems to me, that Bama and AU is just pure hatred, and for the people in alabama, its the biggest game of the year. Im sure you hate AU as well, but you have to be the only bama fan i know that looks forward to the UT game more-so than the AU game.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 26, 2005 8:09 PM
But it seems to me, that Bama and AU is just pure hatred, and for the people in alabama, its the biggest game of the year.
[snapback]118404[/snapback]​

Doesn't that sound alot like UF and F$U??

Originally posted by NCGatorBait@Jul 26, 2005 6:20 PM
Doesn't that sound alot like UF and F$U??
[snapback]118406[/snapback]​

I thought about that too. But UT is in the SEC, F$U is not. I think to really have a meaningful rivalry, you have to be in the same conf. UF/F$U is a great rivalry, but a lot of it is for the fans. UF could lose to F$U and still go to the SECCG, however say AU loses to Bama, they may lose their shot. I dont think the two are comparable. And as a fan, it basically depends on, where you live, or what you woudl rather have, braging rights over local 'noles, or being one step closer to ATL.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 26, 2005 7:09 PM
If not, Im not suprised.  Im not trying to be mean or negative, so dont think Im making fun of you or anything.  But it seems to me, that Bama and AU is just pure hatred, and for the people in alabama, its the biggest game of the year.  Im sure you hate AU as well, but you have to be the only bama fan i know that looks forward to the UT game more-so than the AU game.

To an extent I gotta agree. Even if UT and Bama have a rivalry going on, the AU-Bama matchup is a freaking nationally recognized, no holds-barred, pure hatred based rivalry. Just the kind I wish LSU had with....well.....ANYONE. ( :( ). Interesting tho, because UT's kinda in the same situation. They don't really have a rival that doesn't have a bigger rival. UF's got FSU. UGA's got GATech. Auburn and Bama, of course. South Carolina's got Clemson. Kentucky's got nobody that I know of, and I'm sure UT doesn't consider Vandy a rival.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 26, 2005 7:37 PM
I thought about that too.  But UT is in the SEC, F$U is not.  I think to really have a meaningful rivalry, you have to be in the same conf.  UF/F$U is a great rivalry, but a lot of it is for the fans.  UF could lose to F$U and still go to the SECCG, however say AU loses to Bama, they may lose their shot.  I dont think the two are comparable.  And as a fan, it basically depends on, where you live, or what you woudl rather have, braging rights over local 'noles, or being one step closer to ATL.
[snapback]118416[/snapback]​

I dunno. I wouldn't say the biggest rivalries are in conference. Not all of them, at least. Like Notre Dame and USC. LSU used to have Tulane. (Although they used to be SEC.)

I think the UF/UT game is growing. Both are Ntl Title contenders, and whoever wins almost always goes to ATL. If both programs keep it up, it could evolve into a really great one.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 26, 2005 5:37 PM
I thought about that too.  But UT is in the SEC, F$U is not.  I think to really have a meaningful rivalry, you have to be in the same conf.  UF/F$U is a great rivalry, but a lot of it is for the fans.  UF could lose to F$U and still go to the SECCG, however say AU loses to Bama, they may lose their shot.  I dont think the two are comparable.  And as a fan, it basically depends on, where you live, or what you woudl rather have, braging rights over local 'noles, or being one step closer to ATL.
[snapback]118416[/snapback]​

The same is true of Georgia vs. Georgia Tech but that rivalry seems as heated as ever.

Id take the AU/'Bama game over the ND/USC game. ND/USC is waaay overhyped. Nothing more than a media frenzy.

Originally posted by Atreus21@Jul 26, 2005 5:37 PM
To an extent I gotta agree.  Even if UT and Bama have a rivalry going on, the AU-Bama matchup is a freaking nationally recognized, no holds-barred, pure hatred based rivalry.  Just the kind I wish LSU had with....well.....ANYONE.  ( :( ).  Interesting tho, because UT's kinda in the same situation.  They don't really have a rival that doesn't have a bigger rival.  UF's got FSU.  UGA's got GATech.  Auburn and Bama, of course.  South Carolina's got Clemson.  Kentucky's got nobody that I know of, and I'm sure UT doesn't consider Vandy a rival.
[snapback]118417[/snapback]​

I'm more than certain it would be Vandy if they had stayed decent. I'm sure it would kick back up if Vandy ever resurfaces somewhere on the national scene. It used to be a big rivalry in the early days of college ball.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 26, 2005 6:41 PM
The same is true of Georgia vs. Georgia Tech but that rivalry seems as heated as ever.
[snapback]118422[/snapback]​

UGA/GT is nothing more than a big bully picking on its little brother. When GT can start winning some ACC titles and start contending for a NC, it will be a lot better. They may be on their way to doing so, but until GT becomes a top 10-15 team atleast, it really isnt that big of a game, from a national view. What made UF/F$U great is almost every year, one of the two was #1 in america. And most of the time, the other wasnt far behind. It was a a HUGE game, that dictated who could play for a NC. You gotta have something on the line to have a great rivalry. Thats why I dont think ND/USC is that big. The only thing thats on the line is bragging rights. however, UT/UF, AU/'Bama, OSU/Mich..etc. all have something BIG on the line, year in and year out.

Originally posted by GatorVille@Jul 26, 2005 7:09 PM
If not, Im not suprised.  Im not trying to be mean or negative, so dont think Im making fun of you or anything.  But it seems to me, that Bama and AU is just pure hatred, and for the people in alabama, its the biggest game of the year.  Im sure you hate AU as well, but you have to be the only bama fan i know that looks forward to the UT game more-so than the AU game.

i dont live in bama, but i would say as of recently ut has taken the lead in the hatred race. i would rather beat ut this year than auburn. i am not trying to downplay the auburn game or anything, i look forward to it as well. i am also looking forward to the fla game as i think our defense will match real well with leaks passing game. man, bama-florida, what a good series as well. in the 90's there was no question who was playing in the seccg, it was bama-fla. of course bama got beat most of the time. i will never forgot the swamp in 99 man, "rebirth in the swamp". what a ballgame!!!!!! then we meet again in the title game. i cant wait till all the bs washes away and we are in the hunt again every year. RTR :peace:

Oh yeah, the good ol days for both programs. cant wait til we go to bryant this year,, its gonna be a great game.

VN Store

Back