Amazon Labor Union Vote

Well, ask yourself why do you think you need a union? What would having a union provide for you that you can't do or achieve right now?

I already answered that. 3 times actually. I dont know. Because the baby boomers already destroyed all the unions. I have zero experience with them like most everyone in my generation (private sector)

I already answered that. 3 times actually. I dont know. Because the baby boomers already destroyed all the unions. I have zero experience with them like most everyone in my generation (private sector)

I've worked in management at 2 different union facilities. You could check with some of those folks and get their opinions. Some probably have plenty of free time to talk since neither facility is operating now.

Reactions: AM64
Again, idk what it could do for me. I cant answer that question. The baby boomers killed them all off. I have literally zero personal experience with a union like most every private sector worker in MY generation.

All I have to think about is my dad and uncle who enjoy their union pensions. Good for them, I guess. A relic of a byegone era

Newsflash: union greed killed unions. Unions were dead when they with government assistance put wages and benefits over the top. It's cheaper to manufacture in other countries and ship goods in. Economists created the concept of supply and demand and illustrated it with nice graphs; unions were too greedy and stupid to read and understand the graphs or the writing on the wall. Reagan vs publik service unions would have been very interesting.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Again, idk what it could do for me. I cant answer that question. The baby boomers killed them all off. I have literally zero personal experience with a union like most every private sector worker in MY generation.

All I have to think about is my dad and uncle who enjoy their union pensions. Good for them, I guess. A relic of a byegone era
You realize that lots of places had pensions for non-union employees as well right? Many of them only closed within the last 20 years or so. I don't think Reagan was president at the turn of the century but I can check. My wife actually vested at her old job before they closed it and they closed the pension at my employer within the last decade. Mostly because the plans turned out to be entirely too rich to fund for a large cohort of people who decided not to die at 62. Pensions are a bygone perk because we now have many more tax advantaged accounts than those that came before us. Whatever is in my 401k is 100% mine, it's not something a company can slash when I croak and stop paying entirely when my wife dies. It's a portable asset I control and can spend or pass down as I see fit. You don't need someone to coddle you at every step. I see so many people at work that don't contribute up to the company match on their 401k, and many that contribute nothing. The match is free money they're throwing away, and these are not people making bottom barrel wages so affording the deduction isn't an issue.

I have a pension as a state employee (not in a public sector union though). It's great for me but when the fund that pays out the pension has a shortfall (which is pretty common) then the tax payers have to make up the difference.

I do admit that when I start to draw the pension I'll feel a bit guilty that people in the state have to pay for a part of my retirement.

Pensions have gone away mostly because they are unstable forms of retirement benefits.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
I have a pension as a state employee (not in a public sector union though). It's great for me but when the fund that pays out the pension has a shortfall (which is pretty common) then the tax payers have to make up the difference.

I do admit that when I start to draw the pension I'll feel a bit guilty that people in the state have to pay for a part of my retirement.

Pensions have gone away mostly because they are unstable forms of retirement benefits.

That was one of my beefs with Reagan politics. Remember the "overfunded" pension plans and changes made that basically allowed corporations to raid them - or stop funding them for a while? I look at those pension plans as a benefit of the job - like health insurance was at one time - an enticement to work for a certain company or even in government. When government meddles with things like reserves in fractional banking - stuff that reflected earlier learned lessons, things generally go horribly wrong.

Those relics are still earning pensions. It wasn't sustainable, just like social security. Unions aren't dead, they still exist in heavy union states.

Reactions: AM64 and Rickyvol77
That was one of my beefs with Reagan politics. Remember the "overfunded" pension plans and changes made that basically allowed corporations to raid them - or stop funding them for a while? I look at those pension plans as a benefit of the job - like health insurance was at one time - an enticement to work for a certain company or even in government. When government meddles with things like reserves in fractional banking - stuff that reflected earlier learned lessons, things generally go horribly wrong.

Yep. At least with corporate pensions though if they fall short then other people don't have to make up the shortfall (unless they get a bail out). With government pensions the shortfalls are covered by non-employees. Every tax payer in Alabama will be kicking in to cover the shortfalls for my pension.

We had an office in the Nashville wework building. We moved out and went to all work from home during covid. I called them last week to see about getting space again for a few customer support reps. I was told Amazon has taken the entire building as they now plan to build a third building here and need the room while it's being built.

The room from my health care friends is the center for excellence is actually going to be geared towards healthcare and that amazon is getting ready for a huge move into the prescription drug and health care markets which is why they actually picked nashville.

We had an office in the Nashville wework building. We moved out and went to all work from home during covid. I called them last week to see about getting space again for a few customer support reps. I was told Amazon has taken the entire building as they now plan to build a third building here and need the room while it's being built.

The room from my health care friends is the center for excellence is actually going to be geared towards healthcare and that amazon is getting ready for a huge move into the prescription drug and health care markets which is why they actually picked nashville.

Amazon is quietly scuttling willing employees to offices outside of their Seattle HQ. I know someone who just made this move.

Even woke companies will limit their exposure to wokeness when they are able.

Yet it was... in your words.... "ruined for you". And you have no idea what it could do for you. And you dare lecture those that came before you as "ignorant"

You are in for some hard lessons in life. I just wish I could have a nice big bowl of popcorn and watch when that clue bird comes to roost.

Reactions: AM64 and Rickyvol77
I'm in the private sector. Union member for 30 years. But I am a stupid ol' Boomer.

Yeah Reagan really sucked

Republicans need to stay away from television actors.

I'm in the private sector. Union member for 30 years. But I am a stupid ol' Boomer.

Exactly. Your parents generation (greatest generation) fought hard so you could have those union benefits.

You benefit from it your whole life but fight so future generations can't have them

If the boomers aren't the most selfish generation in American history, I don't wanna know what is...

Exactly. Your parents generation (greatest generation) fought hard so you could have those union benefits.

You benefit from it your whole life but fight so future generations can have it

If the boomers aren't the most selfish generation in American history, I don't wanna know what is...
You have so much to learn.... lol

You benefit from it your whole life but fight so future generations can't have them

Each generation that came after has been progressively worse. We've made some progress is areas but collectively we are worse.

Each generation that came after has been progressively worse. We've made some progress is areas but collectively we are worse.

Well see about that. My generation still writing its future. If we can get these boomers to shut up and get out the way, literally everywhere from work to political offices, maybe we make some progress

Well see about that. My generation still writing its future. If we can get these boomers to shut up and get out the way, literally everywhere from work to political offices, maybe we make some progress

Naive. Every problem the gov tries and solves, they create multiple new problems. Hook, line and sinker.

LOL, neither party cares about you, they are two sides of the same coin. They are no different in action, only rhetoric and their sole purpose is to divide the people so we argue amongst each other. Otherwise we may get wise to the con game, they only seek to entrench their power and enrich themselves. One day you'll wake up to that realization, hopefully it isn't too late.

VN Store

Back