Amazon turns customers' internet into group resource without permission

What does Amazon have to gain from sharing a little bit of bandwidth with your neighbors? Nothing nefarious here, just trying to make their tech work better and more seamlessly. I turned mine off and I'll see if my devices' performance suffers

Nurse and I have both said it in posts on here before , our iPhone listen to our conversations . We have Siri turned off , our mic has to ask permission to be used in any app , but we have talked about purchasing and item ( not searching for it in any way ) and in a day or so that specific item will show up in ads on google or YouTube . It’s happened many times when we were together or apart . You can accuse me of needing a tinfoil hat if you want , I’m just telling you what has happened . Lol
Same happened to me. Ads popped up everywhere.

Reactions: StarRaider
Any consumer electronics device with a microphone or camera will be used against you. The unethical bastards simply can’t help themselves and will abuse it every time. They all believe they are entitled to your information since you bought their device.
Yes, I’ll occasionally throw in a “ you listening, can suck it” just for good measures after a talked about ad shows up.

I actually said "eff u xfinity" and got a reply.."we cannot handle commands with that type language" So it is not just commands, it is reading. Even used ****.

Nurse and I have both said it in posts on here before , our iPhone listen to our conversations . We have Siri turned off , our mic has to ask permission to be used in any app , but we have talked about purchasing and item ( not searching for it in any way ) and in a day or so that specific item will show up in ads on google or YouTube . It’s happened many times when we were together or apart . You can accuse me of needing a tinfoil hat if you want , I’m just telling you what has happened . Lol
This happens to my wife on a regular basis

Reactions: NurseGoodVol
must be why i keep getting those Gas-X ads.

Reactions: NurseGoodVol
What does Amazon have to gain from sharing a little bit of bandwidth with your neighbors? Nothing nefarious here, just trying to make their tech work better and more seamlessly. I turned mine off and I'll see if my devices' performance suffers
I have no problem with the tech, I have a problem with them deciding the default should be opt out.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Former ADT Tech Sentenced To Prison After Spying On Naked Women And Couples Having Sex | ZeroHedge

Telesforo Aviles, 35, pleaded guilty to computer fraud in January - admitting to adding his personal email address to customers' "ADT Pulse" accounts, which gave him real-time access to video feeds from their homes. In some instances he claimed he needed to add himself temporarily to "test" the system, while in other cases he added himself without customer knowledge.

According to plea papers, Aviles watched numerous videos of naked women and couples engaging in sexual activity, which he admitted he would view for sexual gratification.

Aviles accessed roughly 200 customer accounts over 9,600 times without their consent.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Read this and you won't click 'I agree' ever again: We're being Spied On by Phones, Computers, TVs, Cars – even the Doorbells. Worse, argues Oxford professor CARISSA VELIZ, we're doing it to ourselves by giving away our data

Most of us know that our personal data is being collected, stored and analysed thanks to our relationship with our mobile phones, computers and the internet. But are we really aware of the full extent of the privacy invasions into our daily lives?

Let's start at dawn. What is the first thing you do when you wake up? You probably check your phone.

By doing that, you are informing a whole host of busybodies – your smartphone manufacturer, app developers and your mobile company, as well as intelligence agencies (if they happen to be watching you) – what time you wake up, where you've been sleeping and who you share a bed with, providing they keep their phone with them too.

If you wear a smart watch it will have recorded your every movement in bed – including, of course, any sexual activity. Share a picture or record your thoughts on Facebook, or type a search into Google, and that information is tracked and stored.

Perhaps you've run out of sugar and you decide to ask your neighbour if she has some spare. Standing outside her door, you notice there's a new smart doorbell, which records images of those who come near. It's anybody's guess where the footage is going to end up and what it will be used for.

You turn on your smart TV. It is probably identifying everything you watch and sending the data to the manufacturer, third parties, or both.

If you had time to read the privacy policies of the objects you buy, you would also have noticed that your TV picks up and records your spoken words and reserves the right to transmit them to other organisations.

Intelligence agencies such as MI5 and the CIA can make your TV look as though it is off while they record you. Your digital assistant Alexa may be listening too.

Read this and you won't click 'I agree' ever again | Daily Mail Online

Reactions: AshG
There's an easy fix for this and it would actually help improve the reputation of big tech-

When you log into Facebook or one of those other time wasters, something pops up asking you to choose a private account for $10/mo or an ad targeted account for free. 99.9% would select free and everyone moves on to the next outrage.

Reactions: LouderVol

VN Store

Back