Another SEC Championship game

wmcovol

Wed night. If Vols win, they clinch. If SC wins, the move in tie but have the tie breaker over the Vols & since they only played Bama once I believe, they’d have the tie breaker in case of a 3 way tie with Bama with a 2-1 record vs Vols 2-2 & Bama 1-2 in head to head.

Let’s win this thing Wed night. Go Vols

Wed night. If Vols win, they clinch. If SC wins, the move in tie but have the tie breaker over the Vols & since they only played Bama once I believe, they’d have the tie breaker in case of a 3 way tie with Bama with a 2-1 record vs Vols 2-2 & Bama 1-2 in head to head.

Let’s win this thing Wed night. Go Vols

There is no regular season tie breaker. All teams tied with the best record are SEC champions.

I’ve never understood a regular season champ. Are they the only sport that does that while also crowning a conference tournament champion?

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I’ve never understood a regular season champ. Are they the only sport that does that while also crowning a conference tournament champion?

Conferences added their tournaments to award their official bids to the NCAAT. It’s less relevant now for the P-6 conferences since the NCAAT field has more than doubled. Conference tournaments generate a lot of TV revenue for the conferences so they aren’t going to get rid of them any time soon.

There is no regular season tie breaker. All teams tied with the best record are SEC champions.
It’s for SEC tournament seeding purposes and frankly, it’s tough to claim a SEC championship with a team that beat you twice.

Ernie & Bernie team in 1977 beat Kentucky twice but lost @Fl & @ Ga to tie with Ky at 16-2 but we all know who the real champion was.

It’s for SEC tournament seeding purposes and frankly, it’s tough to claim a SEC championship with a team that beat you twice.

Ernie & Bernie team in 1977 beat Kentucky twice but lost @Fl & @ Ga to tie with Ky at 16-2 but we all know who the real champion was.

But KY won at FL and at GA while TN didn’t.

Reactions: livefaith
Conferences added their tournaments to award their official bids to the NCAAT. It’s less relevant now for the P-6 conferences since the NCAAT field has more than doubled. Conference tournaments generate a lot of TV revenue for the conferences so they aren’t going to get rid of them any time soon.
Im fine with the conference tournament. Its the regular season award I don’t understand.

Win / Win
Outright regular season conference champs

Win / Loss
Share of conference title at minimum with a chance of still being outright conference champs if Alabama loses another game

Loss / Win
Share of conference title at minimum with a chance of still being outright conference champs if Alabama loses another game and South Carolina loses to Mississippi State

Loss / Loss
No chance of being outright conference champs but can still share title if Alabama loses another game and South Carolina loses to Mississippi State

Win the next two games and you’re outright champions and a 1-seed in the NCAA tournament (would be complete and utter malpractice if we’re a 2-seed in this case)

TV money wasn’t insane in 1979. I think they added the SECT more for fan interest than as a money grab. It’s now a money grab.

That's fair. And it turns out I'm off base. They've actually played a tournament since - I looked it up - the 1930s and then some. So. TV money, while the near-literal devil of college sports, can't be blamed for this one.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I can’t celebrate a championship in a league with a team Tennessee lost to twice. If you can, go for it.
The fact you continue to double down on your own ignorance should tell everyone exactly what they need to know, regardless this team is looking to win in the big tournament in March. Winning the SEC is great, but I’d rather have an elite 8 or better if I had to choose…

The fact you continue to double down on your own ignorance should tell everyone exactly what they need to know, regardless this team is looking to win in the big tournament in March. Winning the SEC is great, but I’d rather have an elite 8 or better if I had to choose…
What does an elite eight appearance get you?

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
This discussion has been only about the SEC championship & the importance of wed night game. Nothing has been said about the NCAA until you brought it up to support your personal attack. Talk about ignorance

Yes basketball is the only sport that does this except for baseball. and softball. and golf. and tennis. and wrestling. and soccer. and ice hockey. and lacrosse. and soccer. and volleyball. and water polo. except for these (i may have missed a few) basketball is the ONLY sport that has this weirdness.

Yes basketball is the only sport that does this except for baseball. and softball. and golf. and tennis. and wrestling. and soccer. and ice hockey. and lacrosse. and soccer. and volleyball. and water polo. except for these (i may have missed a few) basketball is the ONLY sport that has this weirdness.
Lol

I can’t celebrate a championship in a league with a team Tennessee lost to twice. If you can, go for it.
But USC didn’t play Bama and Kentucky twice. You have to have co-champs with unbalanced schedules. Do you believe USC is 12-4 right now with our schedule?

Reactions: gainesvol82
But USC didn’t play Bama and Kentucky twice. You have to have co-champs with unbalanced schedules. Do you believe USC is 12-4 right now with our schedule?
No, to answer your question but they did play @ Auburn. The SEC schedule is unbalanced. I just want to beat them Wed night so there’s no share or question who the champion really is.

Win / Win
Outright regular season conference champs

Win / Loss
Share of conference title at minimum with a chance of still being outright conference champs if Alabama loses another game

Loss / Win
Share of conference title at minimum with a chance of still being outright conference champs if Alabama loses another game and South Carolina loses to Mississippi State

Loss / Loss
No chance of being outright conference champs but can still share title if Alabama loses another game and South Carolina loses to Mississippi State

Win the next two games and you’re outright champions and a 1-seed in the NCAA tournament (would be complete and utter malpractice if we’re a 2-seed in this case)
Speaking of seeding. Do they actually want a 1 seed and be playing on the west coast

Speaking of seeding. Do they actually want a 1 seed and be playing on the west coast
No team or head coach will look you in the eye and say “we want a worse seed” just because of location. Even if we are in the west, the first two games will likely be in the same location as if we were a 2 seed (Charlotte/Memphis). The only thing that will change would be the opponents and the location of the Sweet 16 and Elite 8

VN Store

Back