Any rumors on the teams’ mindset heading into next week?

My guess is we are going to have rumors about Coach Vitello every off-season for at least a few more years. Probably comes with the territory of not being a traditional power. I bet it's not a stretch he is disappointed on how slow the renovations are going. I know I am, so why wouldn't he be? He has a chance to be a Ron Polk or Skip Bertman type of coach. Maybe he won't match Bertmans success, but someone who is synonymous with the program. Well before he's 50 he's going to have a palace over there. Those new drawings of the dorms that show the outfield look wildly better and those weren't what is direct work on the stadium.

We had a lot of guys go in the portal last year. It's college baseball, it's part of it. Recruiting is going well. Assuming we bring the core of this team back it will be another strong year. Every single season this staff has been here we've gotten better year over year. This was the first time we've taken a backward step since the staff got here! That is incredible. It's not like this season is a disaster. We're in the NCAA's and have more pitching depth for a regional than most anyone. I'm bullish on the future. I'm not even giving up on this season. We can still make a LOT of noise.

Reactions: HeadVol77
I read on a pay site TV has a lot that are thinking of jumping into portal. Hate reading that stuff during the season.
Yet you decided to bring it out from behind a pay wall and start the conversation here even though you hate reading about it? Makes perfect sense.

There was a poster who stated that one of the rumors was that TV would only be around 1-2 more years.
I just don't see that happening, my uneducated opinion. From all accounts, he loves it here. He is loved. He is at a top school, getting paid top dollar, getting the upgrades they earned. Somebody just stirring the pot when there is a tiny bump in the road.

I don’t know where those rumors come from, where would he go according to said rumors?
I think it’s BS. Maybe they think Miss St or Ole Miss moves on from their coaches one and two years removed from titles and he’d go there? Besides that, i don’t know anywhere with a better situation than he has now.

He’s got a blank check to design our stadium, a top 5 salary, loves Knoxville and full backing. He’d be an idiot to leave even for Miss St or Ole Miss.

According to Perfect Game, the 2024 class is #1, 2025 is #2,

He Ain’t Leaving!!!
and this is why I think the portal rumors are overblown. Sure some of those kids will get drafted, but most will be on campus. Transfers also work both ways, I’m sure many kids still want to be a part of this.

I think chemistry has been an issue for this team all year. Some kids leaving would probably be a good thing.

I think it’s BS. Maybe they think Miss St or Ole Miss moves on from their coaches one and two years removed from titles and he’d go there? Besides that, i don’t know anywhere with a better situation than he has now.

He’s got a blank check to design our stadium, a top 5 salary, loves Knoxville and full backing. He’d be an idiot to leave even for Miss St or Ole Miss.

I just don’t see it. The best is yet to come for him here, and I’m not a homer, the way we’ve played, unless something happens, not this year.

and this is why I think the portal rumors are overblown. Sure some of those kids will get drafted, but most will be on campus. Transfers also work both ways, I’m sure many kids still want to be a part of this.

I think chemistry has been an issue for this team all year. Some kids leaving would probably be a good thing.

I agree with the chemistry part.

I’m interested in which part you disagreed with

I don’t really disagree with the rest. We’ll lose a couple to the draft, I don’t doubt that, comes with the territory I reckon. The transfer portal, there’s no logical way to wrap my head around it. By and large I guess it’s good for players and a headache to coaches. I draw a direct correlation to the portal and where we find ourselves in terms of chemistry, I would be interested in your thoughts.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don’t really disagree with the rest. We’ll lose a couple to the draft, I don’t doubt that, comes with the territory I reckon. The transfer portal, there’s no logical way to wrap my head around it. By and large I guess it’s good for players and a headache to coaches. I draw a direct correlation to the portal and where we find ourselves in terms of chemistry, I would be interested in your thoughts.
Absolutely. baseball is such a high failure sport that despite being essentially an individual sport played by teams, it’s paradoxically the most chemistry dependent. But players leaving is just the way it is now. I’d imagine that slows down in baseball as players begin to realize that hopping around in this sport isn’t as beneficial since it’s not as easy to assimilate to a new team as it is in football and basketball.

Hopefully the core stays and we just need a few to plug in and start. I doubt it’ll be as asinine as it was this year having to replace every position in the field.

This is the time of year one takes realistic stock in what has been accomplished thus far. We strung some together towards the end but we sure did take our time doing it. We had a tough schedule early, Mizzou aside, but that wasn’t putting our best foot forward either.

Given the preseason expectations and the way it’s played out, it’s totally fair to have doubts. We might be a better team versus somebody that doesn’t know Doe, Burns, Beam, thus Halvorsen…I don’t pretend to know but it’s curious. It sure seems like the staff has been preparing for postseason play for more than a month. I could be totally wrong, but to get to where @99gator is, it sure seems reasonable.

VN Store

Back