Anybody up for some play-by-play film analysis?

On another note, I think next time I will differentiate the zone read play where the tight end comes across to block the backside end. Anyone know what that play is called? I think I've seen it labeled "Y Lead Read Option". Any thoughts?

No idea what the play is called but I've seen that TE block labelled a "wham" block. Of course since this is football, there are doubtless five or six other terms for it.

No idea what the play is called but I've seen that TE block labelled a "wham" block. Of course since this is football, there are doubtless five or six other terms for it.

That's true. :lol: I was just looking for an easy way to denote this as a specific play call.

Good post. Its called scraping the exchange. Here's a good diagram.

scrapeexchange1.gif

The counter to scrape is just your normal outside zone run. Leave the DE unblocked and just out run him. That is exactly what happened on Neal's long run!

Their are two other big counters two this. I only watched the film once, but I saw atleast one of them.

We were using split flow inside zone (meaning the FB/te/wb/hb whatever you want to call him, was going opposite the zone to kick the backside DE. This allows Worley to read the C gap for that LB. If no LB shows is present in C gap (outside the OT) then Worley will keep it inside the kick out block of the TE.

The second way to beat that scheme is to run a man call on outside zone. This would tell your OT backside to turn out on the DE. And now Worley would read B gap. If the LB scrapes outside or chases the back, Worley keeps through B gap.

I've normally seen a wham block referred to as a trap block on an interior lineman by a TE. San Fransico does it alot.

One easy way to tell the difference in inside zone read and outside zone read is the offset TE.

In comes from the way I teams block inside zone. They want split flow (FB and hb going in opposite directions) to set up the boot (think of the Broncos under Shanahan). This way when they run the boot they can dump into the flats to the FB (think of the goalline TD to downs). So if we have split flow from the offset TE and RB, it's inside zone.

On outside zone I formation teams only run it to the side of the fullback (it's the only way they can account for the 4/5 defender playside, who now has to be blocked because of how wide the play is going). So if the offset TE blocks playside, it's probably outside zone.

The other indicators are the back and the oline. RB path for outside zone is normally the 3 yards outside the TE (normally outside zone isn't ran weak or to an open side of the formation). For inside zone he should be aiming for the inside leg of the playside guard or tackle.

Finally the oline is looking to get a vertical push on inside zone. So we should expect to see them moving at about 45 degrees or less to the playside.

On outside zone the oline will move more flat down the line of scrimmage. The goal is to outrun the defensive line to the sideline. If your playing a 3-4 team and both your center and guard can outrun the NG, then you now have a +2 advantage to the playside. The success of this play is due to gap displacement. Each time an offensive lineman outruns a Dlinemen he has put that man in a new gap. Each time a Dlinemen loses his gap, a lb has to fly hard over the top replace him (sets up great play action, look at Manning for an example). If the Lb can't get their in time (normally he can't because the lineman who outran his Dlineman is in a perfect position to hook him), then you see a lot of big plays from outside zone.

If you watch an NFL team run outside zone this weekend, you'll see the entire dline turn their shoulders and sprint to the sideline. This also helps open up running lanes. When a Dlineman turns his shoulders he takes up far less horizontal space.

I saw things of interest:

1. I saw the RB aligned to the side of the TE on a few plays (1st play of the game is an example). We do that from time to time to help widen out the backside DE in inside zone. This way if your qb isn't the most athletic in the world, it doesn't really matter because the DE has now aligned about 2 extra yards outside. So he will have a much tougher time tryin to run down the RB from the backside.

2. On outside zone I saw them use bubble action backside with the slot wr. This really stretches out the defense because the backside safety (who's normally a cutback player) now has to expand and honor the bubble. If not, we will simply keep and throw the bubble. This creates bigger cutback lanes for the outside zone, backside we are holding both the backside safety (bubble) and the backside de (qb keep) in place.

On another note, I think next time I will differentiate the zone read play where the tight end comes across to block the backside end. Anyone know what that play is called? I think I've seen it labeled "Y Lead Read Option". Any thoughts?

I would label it as split zone.

Basically the main difference is the path/landmark of the back. Inside or outside leg of the Guard (depending on coaching preference) for inside and usually outside leg of Tackle for outside zone.

As another poster said, the read is different for the back as well.

In inside and outside zone runs there is what I have been taught, an out/up/back cut. The rb makes his read and either presses the hole outside at a 45 degree angle, sticks foot in ground and blasts upfield (see Lane's 1st td), and a cut back lane if the defense overflows the blockers and they have them sealed.

As for the QB reads, it's hard to tell what plays are zone read vs. called zone runs. We definitely did both. Most of the time you are reading the end man on line of scrimmage, but a time or two I noticed we had a dual read. When we had twins, the slot would run a bubble instead of attacking the Safety to block him. The DE crashed and we still gave the ball which on the surface looks like a bad read, but if you look where Worley is looking - it is at that safety. The safety stayed put so it was the correct read. One thing to watch in the future is Worely raising up and throwing the bubble if the Safety doesn't honor the route.

As we get better at it, I think that will become a triple option. On the Hs level we don't triple option it a lot, but we do presnap read the bubble. So if they have a kid trying to play half way between the slot and the offensive tackle (we call him a gray area defender because we don't know if he's going to drop out or come down into the box on the snap) we will throw bubble a few times to influence him to move out wider over the slot. So the qb is just looking to see if he can throw the bubble presnap. If not then its just a basic zone read for our qb. It's tough on a defense.

As many of you have stated the backside run and the open field has been there for the QB in the first two games. Hopefully these have been straight called runs to keep from showing all of the read option runs. The next few games the defenses will be faster. Hopefully this is bate for the next opponents. Hopefully they will crash faster to the RB's and create bigger gaps for QB runs for us to exploit.

Ill try to provide some insight to the zone read.

1.) Any play using a zone blocking scheme is designed to be a no loss play

2.) The blocking scheme implies you block an area instead of a man

Lineman take 45 degree step and block whoever appears in zone, driving people off the ball and toward sideline

If noone appears in zone, you help weakside blocker shortly, then reach and climb to LBs

Backkside end man on LOS is left unblocked because he is a read man and it frees up a blocker that can be better used

3.) The QBs job is to read the backside read man

If he stays home, QB hands ball off

If he crashes inside, QB keeps

4.) The RB has to be able to read blocks for it to work but he mainly has 1 read man, either the playside DT (4-3) or DE (3-4)

RBs rule: on a zone play, you read the blocks patiently, then you get 1 cut and you are full speed running right behind the butt of the guy creating a hole to run through, even if you made the wrong decision, you get 1 cut then upfield

On inside zone you.read the playside DT

If he crashes inside, the RB cuts right behind playside OT

If he gets pushed outside, the Rb either cuts right behind playside OG or hits a cutback lane on the backside of the play

On outside zone the RB reads playside DE(4-3) or OLB (3-4)

Same rule applies only hes either running in tackle box or on perimeter

WR blocking is also the difference between a 5 yard gain and a 60 yd TD

Finally, a Volnation coach whose posts I can read.

As many of you have stated the backside run and the open field has been there for the QB in the first two games. Hopefully these have been straight called runs to keep from showing all of the read option runs. The next few games the defenses will be faster. Hopefully this is bate for the next opponents. Hopefully they will crash faster to the RB's and create bigger gaps for QB runs for us to exploit.

If I had to take a guess we told the qb not to keep it often against the 1st two teams just so he didn't take many hits.

If I had to take a guess we told the qb not to keep it often against the 1st two teams just so he didn't take many hits.

Without a doubt. Plus, they probably wanted the tailback and line to get as many reps as possible, considering that seems to the play which our offense will revolve around.

VN Store

Back