Anyone else ever experienced

Maybe because there's no apostrophe in opossum?

I didn't know this until I looked it up but they are actually two different groups of animals. True possums are found in and around Australia. Opossums are found here on this continent, although in common usage the terms are used interchangeably.

But back to the original question, I had a colleague who calls the Vols the Voles. I always attributed it to the fact that he was a yankee.

Hey, you're right. I typed it as opossum, and no red line. Still though, never heard anyone in the South other than my old blue-haired 8th grade English teacher actually say 'opossum' rather than 'possum'.

Actually had a girl running a cash register at a local restaurant say it to me. She saw my wife and I wearing UT gear and said, "Oh, so you guys like the Voles?" I cringed when she said it. I didn't correct her directly, but I did say, "Yes we like the Vols" to try to help her out. Didn't work. Figures though, she was a student at UK.

Other fans of the SEC or other conferences pronounce our name as The Voles? I heard it the other day from a georgia fan, that crap drives me crazy. IT'S VOLS, V-O-L-S.

Only retards.... Don't associate with them.

I know, Sarah Palin hates me. I don't care, been that type of week.

Last edited:
I remember a Miami fan saying that when they were in town several years ago. They got very defensive when I asked why they have a helmet logo to represent the word University.

Actually had a girl running a cash register at a local restaurant say it to me. She saw my wife and I wearing UT gear and said, "Oh, so you guys like the Voles?" I cringed when she said it. I didn't correct her directly, but I did say, "Yes we like the Vols" to try to help her out. Didn't work. Figures though, she was a student at UK.

Turn in your VOL card. Should have taken her to the woodshed.

VN Store

Back