Anyone seen the new SEC tie breaker rules?

NetworkVol

I haven't been able to find anything online for it yet. I wonder if the CFP ranking will come into play...essentially letting the CFP board have input in the conference championship games.

I’d imagine they’d be similar to divisional rules. I wonder what they’ll do if there is a tie with teams that didn’t play each other and have an equal record against common opponents. If score differential ever came into play, that certainly be to our advantage with the offense we run. For the most part, we absolutely obliterate the lower rung teams, and tend to do the same against the decent teams as well.

Reactions: NetworkVol
I’d imagine they’d be similar to divisional rules. I wonder what they’ll do if there is a tie with teams that didn’t play each other and have an equal record against common opponents. If score differential ever came into play, that certainly be to our advantage with the offense we run. For the most part, we absolutely obliterate the lower rung teams, and tend to do the same against the decent teams as well.
Yeah that would promote running the score up and keeping starters in all game.

I haven't seen any rules yet either, but I would imagine it falls to record against common opponents.
If no common opponents, or the same record against common conference opponents, does it fall to out of conference somehow?

I would hate to imagine that the SECCG is decided by the CFP committee and a team might miss out by one slot.
For example, team 1 in SECCG is set by the best record and there is a tie in record for team 2.
The common opponent records play out even and team 2a is ranked in the CFP at 5 and team 2b is ranked 6.
2a would go to the SECCG.
If they win the SECCG, they are the automatic qualifier into the playoff and team 1 would likely be an at large bid....team 2b is left out of the playoff.
Now if team 1 wins the SECCG, there is a possibility that BOTH team 2a and 2b could be into the playoff.

This si gonna get messy at some point folks...HAHAHAHA

If your name is Alabama you win the tiebreaker is rule 1.
You’re about to see that favoritism shift and the Bammers won’t like it. Texas, Georgia are going to be your mainstays yearly; anyone that thinks otherwise hasn’t opened their eyes to what’s going on. Texas will be the money program for the conference.

Reactions: IndianaVol
You’re about to see that favoritism shift and the Bammers won’t like it. Texas, Georgia are going to be your mainstays yearly; anyone that thinks otherwise hasn’t opened their eyes to what’s going on. Texas will be the money program for the conference.

I can see this. Texas will destroy the SEC like it has every conference they have been a member of.

Reactions: tbh and IndianaVol
I can see this. Texas will destroy the SEC like it has every conference they have been a member of.

Fellas, there is BVS and then there is something even beyond it, where you feel battered and abused by programs that you haven't even played yet.

We're gonna own Texas. We're gonna own Georgia. The SEC is about to be ours.

Might not happen 100% this coming season. But it's happening.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
2023-2024 SEC manual still reflects rules for division Champs. New rules are probably still in the chop chain but they sure taking their damn good time about approving and publishing. Not like expansion was a secret.

The schedules for 2024 are a real mess. Maybe a 9 game conference schedule would help...I don't know.

For example, TN, TX, and LSU don't play each other next season. Theoretically all 3 teams could finish 12-0, what then?

Fellas, there is BVS and then there is something even beyond it, where you feel battered and abused by programs that you haven't even played yet.

We're gonna own Texas. We're gonna own Georgia. The SEC is about to be ours.

Might not happen 100% this coming season. But it's happening.

Go Vols!
We can have a good season or even a few. Texas will be a burr in everyone’s ass. They will get every close call, everything will go their way.

I haven't been able to find anything online for it yet. I wonder if the CFP ranking will come into play...essentially letting the CFP board have input in the conference championship games.
(1) They haven’t released them yet.

(2) If it gets that far down most likely will work around aspects of the SEC teams they played. Given how the conference removed poll rankings as a tiebreaker when the system switched from the BCS to the CFP, I sincerely doubt there’s much if any chance that they’d start using poll rankings again for a tiebreaker basis.

With no E vs W no longer in play, it may work like the tie breaker in basketball for the champion and #2 seed. Anyway, with playoff expansion, conference championships continue to be devalued by fans.
Impress the committee and your in!!!!

There's a real opportunity for additional TV revenue with this. Have the athletic directors compete against each other in American Gladiator events. Guaranteed ratings
iu

Atlasphere.jpg

iu

Reactions: tbh and NetworkVol
I haven't seen any rules yet either, but I would imagine it falls to record against common opponents.
If no common opponents, or the same record against common conference opponents, does it fall to out of conference somehow?

I would hate to imagine that the SECCG is decided by the CFP committee and a team might miss out by one slot.
For example, team 1 in SECCG is set by the best record and there is a tie in record for team 2.
The common opponent records play out even and team 2a is ranked in the CFP at 5 and team 2b is ranked 6.
If they win the SECCG, they are the automatic qualifier into the playoff and team 1 would likely be an at large bid....team 2b is left out of the playoff.
Now if team 1 wins the SECCG, there is a possibility that BOTH team 2a and 2b could be into the playoff.

If team 2b was still one of the highest ranked 7 teams left they would still make it. The criteria for this year is power champs and then the next 7 highest ranked teams. GBO

The schedules for 2024 are a real mess. Maybe a 9 game conference schedule would help...I don't know.

For example, TN, TX, and LSU don't play each other next season. Theoretically all 3 teams could finish 12-0, what then?

Rock, paper give it to the Gumps? J/K

Sanky will give it to the new golden boy TX.

Texas will not destroy the sec, they do have a very soft schedule this coming year and they will probably do good, but after this coming year, it will be Ga. LSU, Tn, then Texas imo

(1) They haven’t released them yet.

(2) If it gets that far down most likely will work around aspects of the SEC teams they played. Given how the conference removed poll rankings as a tiebreaker when the system switched from the BCS to the CFP, I sincerely doubt there’s much if any chance that they’d start using poll rankings again for a tiebreaker basis.
I'm thinking something like:
1 Conference record
2 Head to head
3 Common opponets w/l record
4 Out of conference w/l record

But they will have to have some type of tiebreak at the end as an overall decider. CFP rank or strength of schedule or points or something. I'm down for the coin flip on national TV between the coaches.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

I think in your scenario team 2a takes the SECCG loss and would drop under team 2b and possibly out. The team that didn't make the SECCG just rides into the playoffs smoothly.

If team 2b was still one of the highest ranked 7 teams left they would still make it. The criteria for this year is power champs and then the next 7 highest ranked teams. GBO
Yeah 5 + 7. Technically only 4 "power" conferences left + the highest ranked champ of the other conferences (mountain west, AAC, etc). If I were Notre Dame, I'd jump into one of those lower conferences. They'd make the playoffs every single year.

My WAG...

1. Conference record (obviously)
2. Head to head match-up result
3. Record against common conference opponents
4. Overall record??? (this has not previously been used)
5. National ranking (this has been used)
5a. Coin flip (this has been used)

Like I said, complete guesswork

VN Store

Back