Are we at an inflection point on illegal immigration?

No clear path forward needed for them. There is a clear path backwards though.

Trump's Title 42 ends and there's no clear path forward. My own sense is that even most Dems are now of the opinion that action is needed to stem the tide.

We aren't getting anywhere with general disincentives. And the notion of allowing illegals to stay here but not work or contribute for years while their case languishes, is not working either.

I personally think that there's as much willingness to deal with this now in Congress than ever before. The public is on board.

I do think we need tie it to a solution for those who are here. There are 11 million illegals in the US now and a solution that addresses both new immigration and handling those already here, seems to me to be the best bet.

My own proposed solution is to double the border police and authorize then to kick out new immigrants and they get told that if they try again they will be kicked out when found for 5 years.

Then on the flip side we massively increase processing, both for new arrivals seeking hardship asylum and also for those already here. Have a goal of clearing any given case within 90 days.

Limit appeals.

And require that persons waiting a determination work or provide family services pending a determination. And if denied they must leave and not reapply for 3 years and, if they defy that and are caught, they are sent back with permanent ban on coming back, in any capacity, legal or illegal.

Comedy. You're just now concerned about illegal aliens?

Nothing gets fixed while the current administration refuses to acknowledge there is a problem.
Nothing gets fixed while the left views everyone as a legit asylum seeker
Nothing gets fixed while the left wants to give everyone free stuff
Nothing gets fixed when the left says fixing it is RACISM
Nothing gets fixed while the right thinks "they're taking our jobs!"
Nothing gets fixed when the right is against guest worker programs.
Nothing gets fixed while the War on Drugs perpetuates

tl;dr - Nothing gets fixed

Here's the philosophy I've adopted regarding govt actions now.

What's the most beneficial or best action the fed govt should take regarding just about anything?

That's probably not what they will do. It may very likely be the opposite.

Reactions: AM64, tbh and McDad
The solution is simple. You need to vote harder. And stock up on guns and ammo that you won't use when the time comes to fight The Man.

Vote harder for who?

The options are never good.

Trump vs Biden. That was the true choice unless you just throw it away on a write in.

Reactions: McDad
I have always wondered why couldnt we shift the point of application away from our border? I feel like people shouldnt be standing on our stoop without having a pretty good idea of who they are and if they should be here.

Open up several/many citizenship/green card/asylum application centers in Mexico. The border is literally just that. Do not approach if you cant legally enter yet.

The issue in my opinion is that the migrants get here, and then we try to figure out what to do with them. This creates multiple issues, what do you do while they wait? How do you track them once in? And with the process taking so long the bleeding hearts get upset when you kick out someone who has been here for years, illegally.

If it's me, I do some of what LG talked about. Increase the federal side of getting things approved/rejected. I also shut down the border for a year. Tell every single illegal they have 6 months to start the application process. The reason to shut down the border is to focus on those here, and get them through, or at least started. After that year, or shorter if we make it through the backlog, the border opens up, and hopefully in that six months we have those new application centers opened in Mexico and they have begun the process of sifting through applicants, so once it hits the courts the process goes faster. The end goal would be more legal immigrants, and fewer illegals, with the focus on making sure the Gov is not the hold up, which should hopefully decrease the number trying to come illegally if they know they dont have to wait.

I agree with the hard rejections too, and I think it has to be tied to a more potent system with DNA and or finger prints to verify for the next time they try. Once the border shuts down anyone else crossing illegally or a violent criminal gets the hard rejection, even if they make it here and are here for years with kids.

I would also institute a pretty hard cap on asylum numbers, with a heavy emphasis of resolving their fate fast. Either get them on the citizenship train, or get them out. No waiting for whatever issue to go away ot be resolved.

I thought the first safe place was where someone was supposed to request asylum. For many crossing our borders, that would be Mexico. It's hard to argue that you left a place where you were unsafe to travel all the way across Mexico ... where you would have to suppose it's unsafe to request asylum in the US. My only conclusion is that for most of these people seeking asylum it is a copout - otherwise for the Central American crowd that would be Mexico, but that's just not where they want to be. Even for Mexicans the appropriate place to request asylum would be at an embassy ... or even a real border crossing.

VN Store

Back