Are we using the wrong metric to talk about economic improvement?

Hmmm… I've seen employers "reward" the hard workers by getting them to work a bunch of overtime, which in turn helps them employer a bit because all of that employees benefits are paid for in 40 hours. Anything else over 40 is essentially benefit free. So do you hire 2 people plus benefits and work them 60-70 hrs a week or do you pay one guy plus benefits 60-70 hrs?
Do you consider workman's comp a benefit? It goes up when an employee is on overtime. Also, getting paid 1.5X your normal pay seems like a pretty good benefit.

Overtime for a deadline is acceptable. General overtime overall is bad management with bad expectations.

As others said millenials place more of an emphasis on a work life balance. Why stay late? There will be more work the next day. It's not like you actually ever get done, or actually get ahead.

If I am expected to work overtime, just tell me work hours are 9-8 and let me go home without batching about me not putting in additional overtime. If you tell me its 9-5 why would I just give more time?

I agree that overtime for overtimes sake is complete BS. I started in this business with a boss that had that attitude, he loved to have 5pm Friday weekly wrap-up meetings that would last till 8 or 9. What I'm talking about is overtime to meet deadlines or complete projects or simply using every hour available because work is stacked up.

If a client is paying a lump sum for an agreed upon amount of work, are you just going to do extra work for them without changing the contract amount?

LOL

Depends but what does that have to do with Ras' questions? I have a couple clients that yeah, I would and do because we have a 20+ year relationship and I know they will make it up to me.

If it’s not out of scope, yes. It’s called eating time and it happens a lot.
There is an agreed upon scope. This is extra.

If the expectation is I have to stay late every night, then my contract and pay better reflect that. If it doesnt I am clocking out with no fault on my end. At least for me I am not paid by task I complete.

I am not on commission or on a quota. I am salary which means I get paid X amount for X expected conditions.

There is an agreed upon scope. This is extra.

If the expectation is I have to stay late every night, then my contract and pay better reflect that. If it doesnt I am clocking out with no fault on my end. At least for me I am not paid by task I complete.

I am not on commission or on a quota. I am salary which means I get paid X amount for X expected conditions.
When I was in public accounting we had seniors who had been offered a pay cut in order to earn OT. The policy was discontinued when I got there but the people we reported to still had the deal. They worked us like idiots because they were making time and a half while we approached $10/hr.

Do you consider workman's comp a benefit? It goes up when an employee is on overtime. Also, getting paid 1.5X your normal pay seems like a pretty good benefit.
Well, different scenarios have different consequences. I've been used to OT paying straight time (not 1.5X) for the situation I am familiar with. And I'm sure that there is a line of diminishing returns for paying 1.5X vs paying another full time or even part time employee. I guess the thing is that an employees 401K or pensions contributions, insurance cost, annual leave, and other benefits cost the same whether they work 40 hrs or if they work 60 hrs.

Well, different scenarios have different consequences. I've been used to OT paying straight time (not 1.5X) for the situation I am familiar with. And I'm sure that there is a line of diminishing returns for paying 1.5X vs paying another full time or even part time employee. I guess the thing is that an employees 401K or pensions contributions, insurance cost, annual leave, and other benefits cost the same whether they work 40 hrs or if they work 60 hrs.

Depends on how the 401k contribution is set up, % match or set amount.

VN Store

Back