Arizona scouting report

HippieVol33

Is this the biggest the biggest game of the season so far? I think so. A win against a top 6 team in TBA would be wild. Arizona is no joke... I wish I could say I know how we win this game, but I don't. Shooting the 3 at a high level is the only way I see a win in this one. Arizona has some legit big men along with really solid guard play and I can bet they will pressure us all up and down the court. Against Illinois Arizona ran a 1-2-2 press most the game and it will REALLY slow you down. We're in for a 15 round fight here and if we can throw some counter punches at home it should be an exciting game. I'll give the rotation for Arizona as well as ORtg (offensive rating) All #s from KenPom.com.

Before I go into it KP predicts we win this game 75-73 with a 58% chance of winning. I'll just say I do not see that happening. These Arizona guys shoot at a high clip as well as rebound better than pretty much anybody else, especially offensively.

PG: Kerr Kriisa (6'3" 180) ORtg 119.5 231st in the country
SG: Dalen Terry (6'7" 195) ORtg 122.9 159th in the country
SF: Benedict Mathurin (6'6" 210) ORtg 119.4 239th in the country
PF: Azuolas Tubelis (6' 11" 245) ORtg 119.4 239th in the country
C: Christian Koloko (7'1" 230) ORtg 128.8 74th in the country
Reserves:
Pelle Larson (6'5" 215) ORtg 115.2 397th in the country
Oumar Ballo (7'0" 260)

Arizona will play those seven and possibly eight depending on foul trouble. We are one of the worst teams in the country in getting FTA to FGA so I wouldn't expect us to get anybody in foul trouble. I've seen many say this could be a Plavsic game and I highly disagree. Plavsic does not have the "foot speed" our other bigs do, Arizona would screen and roll him to death. This is a game I think we have to go small and use JJJ for his solid rebounding and quickness.

I have to say, I think our post play since the days of Grant and Kyle has been SO soft that it's really sad. Fulk and Pons did a solid job in a year we had bad guard play, but when the guard play caught up they didn't do the same. I know, Fulk is out there battling injuries and all that. Pons was a shot blocking guy that helped but he also hurt in his abilities to rebound since he wanted that blocked shot so bad. There's no arguing that Grant and Kyle were so much tougher overall than what we've seen since. If this team is going to make noise it will be because our bigs decided to man up down low.

Arizona runs their offense at a level I'm not sure we've ran into this season. Zona plays four guys that shoot .35%+from 3 and with the "force you to shoot" defense we play that could be a death sentence. We may have to rely on an off night from Arizona to win this one.

Our X Factor me is ORN or JJJ. One of those two will win us this game. Obviously our best player in Kennedy Chandler getting guys good shots is a huge part. This will be another game where Chandler likely won't have a Colorado type game attacking the rim. If we go as far as Chandler this will be a game where he will show the ability to attack and draw defenders for good looks/his ability to shoot the 3.

I hate this match up honestly. I'd give us a 25% chance to win this one, even if we're at home. Maybe we hit shots and Zona doesn't, I just don't see it.

Prediction: Tennessee 66 Arizona 77

It looks to me like we are going to have to win with our quickness and push tempo. We’re going to need a lot of transition baskets because if we allow them to set up in their defense it’s going to be a long night. I would also like to see Barnes come out in a zone defense ( I know he won’t do it) and make them beat us shooting the ball vs. pounding it inside where they have an obvious advantage . Agree that if CRB plays Plavisc, we’re in trouble. Just because he’s 7’0 doesn’t mean he is a good matchup for their bigs. They’ll eat his lunch and he’ll get a bunch of fouls. Again, the only advantage I see that we have is quickness and hopefully we utilize it. 76-72 Vols

Fulkerson and Huntley-Hatfield need to get the Wildcat bigs in foul trouble and I also would like to see Barnes push tempo all night.

I wonder if Barnes may try to really attack the 1-2-2 with Chandler and ZZZ or does he allow it to dictate tempo. It seems like those two could really make Arizona pay and scramble on D if they are able to push and then kick out to Powell, Vescovi, Bailey or one another. Should be fun. Go Vols.

Don’t feel great about the match up either, but we have home court and Arizona made a long trip. It is definitely possible that leads to a bad shooting night for them.

Arizona is a legit F4 contender.

If we win, I will feel incredibly good regardless of what happens going forward.

That said, I don’t know that we have the pieces to match up.

I think we keep it to 12-14 point loss

78-65 Arizona is my guess

It looks to me like we are going to have to win with our quickness and push tempo. We’re going to need a lot of transition baskets because if we allow them to set up in their defense it’s going to be a long night. I would also like to see Barnes come out in a zone defense ( I know he won’t do it) and make them beat us shooting the ball vs. pounding it inside where they have an obvious advantage . Agree that if CRB plays Plavisc, we’re in trouble. Just because he’s 7’0 doesn’t mean he is a good matchup for their bigs. They’ll eat his lunch and he’ll get a bunch of fouls. Again, the only advantage I see that we have is quickness and hopefully we utilize it. 76-72 Vols
We've played zone on several occasions, this season. Don't know that we will see it as a primary defense, but we have used it to supplement our man-to-man more than once, already, this year.

Anyone know if they have played against a defensive as stout as ours? Perhaps their shooting percentage is indicative of the kind of competition they’ve played.

Is this the biggest the biggest game of the season so far? I think so. A win against a top 6 team in TBA would be wild. Arizona is no joke... I wish I could say I know how we win this game, but I don't. Shooting the 3 at a high level is the only way I see a win in this one. Arizona has some legit big men along with really solid guard play and I can bet they will pressure us all up and down the court. Against Illinois Arizona ran a 1-2-2 press most the game and it will REALLY slow you down. We're in for a 15 round fight here and if we can throw some counter punches at home it should be an exciting game. I'll give the rotation for Arizona as well as ORtg (offensive rating) All #s from KenPom.com.

Before I go into it KP predicts we win this game 75-73 with a 58% chance of winning. I'll just say I do not see that happening. These Arizona guys shoot at a high clip as well as rebound better than pretty much anybody else, especially offensively.

Reserves:
Oumar Ballo (7'0" 260)

Arizona will play those seven and possibly eight depending on foul trouble. We are one of the worst teams in the country in getting FTA to FGA so I wouldn't expect us to get anybody in foul trouble. I've seen many say this could be a Plavsic game and I highly disagree. Plavsic does not have the "foot speed" our other bigs do, Arizona would screen and roll him to death. This is a game I think we have to go small and use JJJ for his solid rebounding and quickness.

I have to say, I think our post play since the days of Grant and Kyle has been SO soft that it's really sad. Fulk and Pons did a solid job in a year we had bad guard play, but when the guard play caught up they didn't do the same. I know, Fulk is out there battling injuries and all that. Pons was a shot blocking guy that helped but he also hurt in his abilities to rebound since he wanted that blocked shot so bad. There's no arguing that Grant and Kyle were so much tougher overall than what we've seen since. If this team is going to make noise it will be because our bigs decided to man up down low.

Arizona runs their offense at a level I'm not sure we've ran into this season. Zona plays four guys that shoot .35%+from 3 and with the "force you to shoot" defense we play that could be a death sentence. We may have to rely on an off night from Arizona to win this one.

Our X Factor me is ORN or JJJ. One of those two will win us this game. Obviously our best player in Kennedy Chandler getting guys good shots is a huge part. This will be another game where Chandler likely won't have a Colorado type game attacking the rim. If we go as far as Chandler this will be a game where he will show the ability to attack and draw defenders for good looks/his ability to shoot the 3.

I hate this match up honestly. I'd give us a 25% chance to win this one, even if we're at home. Maybe we hit shots and Zona doesn't, I just don't see it.

Free throw attempts on the year: Arizona 243
Tennessee 116

Anyone know if they have played against a defensive as stout as ours? Perhaps their shooting percentage is indicative of the kind of competition they’ve played.

They haven't - they played Michigan and Wichita State who are ranked 24th and 29th, respectively. (we're 8th on Barttorvik). They Scored 80 against Michigan, Scored 82 in OT vs. WSU. Michigan has Dickinson at 7'1 and a frosh at 6'11 that played 19 minutes. WSU has a substantially smaller team than we do.

A couple of misnomers is that they will try and slow us down or we'll try and speed them up - Arizona has the 3rd fastest adjusted tempo rate, we have the 79th, so they actually play faster than we do when accounting for opponent adjustments. Another misnomer is being worried about their three point shooting - they are 211th in 3P shooting rate, we're 79th, so while they may shoot a lot threes if we pack the paint, it'd be uncharacteristic of how they play.

I think our biggest advantage here is home court - Arizona is a super young team. 5 freshman play at least 40% of minutes and only have one upperclassman that exceeds 40% of minutes, so if TBA is rocking, we could rattle them.

Reserves:
Oumar Ballo (7'0" 260)

the X Factor
I want to believe....

Reserves:
Oumar Ballo (7'0" 260)

Y’all are really worried about a team who’s two best wins have already lost at least 3 games each. We very well may lose tonight but the way y’all are acting like it’s sure loss is really surprising. I’ll put our guards against anybody in the country. They’re coming into TBA.

Y’all are really worried about a team who’s two best wins have already lost at least 3 games each. We very well may lose tonight but the way y’all are acting like it’s sure loss is really surprising. I’ll put our guards against anybody in the country. They’re coming into TBA.
And our best win is against a team that got smoked by the other cats. Plenty to be concerned about.

Reserves:
Oumar Ballo (7'0" 260)

Why can’t others realize how soft our posts are, yes, even the great fulky.

Why can’t others realize how soft our posts are, yes, even the great fulky.
Fulky just doesn’t have the strength to compete against big strong post players. He hasn’t put on more than 10 lbs. in the six years he’s been here, probably because he’s always recovering from an injury in the off season

Reactions: Hbg
Y’all were scared of these west coast clowns?
I love your confidence, but these type of mid-game posts don't always age well. I don't think it was unfounded to be concerned with an undefeated team inside the top-10. And I say that as someone who had a great deal of confidence that we'd play well.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back