Article on Spyre/NIL: Target $25 million annually, or more

So in the end they end up with a structure that allows anybody to pay any player whatever they want to play, but each institution will get an NIL cap, just like they get a Schollie cap, and a PWO cap.
I don’t see how that can work Constitutionally. A player either controls his name, image and likeness or he doesn’t.

Reactions: tnutater
Guntersvol makes some great points. It is going to be interesting. Question, if the school does not control the actual NIL deal, how can you cap the NIL deal per school. Some NIL deals will be tied to perfomance. If a player is under the cap, his bonus may put the team over the cap. This just brings in another level of cheating. Give you a $100,000 car but value it at $30,000. It is going to be hard to cap a team if you dont cap the player. I dont think you can cap the player.

I don’t see how that can work Constitutionally. A player either controls his name, image and likeness or he doesn’t.

There will be no limit on what any group can pay any player for his value. That player can play for any school that has room under a cap just like in the NFL. No logical limit exists. Only difference is that somebody or somebodies are paying the salaries. As I said in my War and Peace version in this thread, on scholllie or walkon, does not matter. A school may have SHIPS but no cap room and vice versa. If a player gets a big deal after the deadline that puts the team over the cap he gets to keep his money and enter the portal immediately and take his value to his next stop consistent with the balance of the eligibility rules.

The law will simply require that the numbers presented to the school and NCAA match the 1040 or 1099 for the period or will be considered fraud. It is not impossible that all signed deals must be filed with the NCAA instead of each school and only the cap hit needs to be passed on to the school. Simpler really. Every kid could have an NIL value in the database at the NCAA and schools can only accept the kid, NLI or not, after reviewing it and reporting they are accepting the NIL on the day of signing. This would also keep a running total for each school. If they can put you in prison for paying to buy your kid's access to a schollie to get into schools (see Lori Laughlin) this would be very similar. Not rocket science. Probably need a CAP for the big ticket guys and a separate pool for the nickle dime deals. All must be filed with the NCAA and players may have a total NIL hit comprised of multiple deals. The only required deviation would be that a school can accept and play any ONE player that consumes their entire cap even if that one deal is greater than the cap. This eliminates any ceiling for the players.

Cars, apartments and 'six-figure packages': Inside the new, money-fueled frontier of the college football arms race

some excerpts:

“If you would have asked us four to five months ago, we might have said we want to try and raise $3 (million), $4 (million), $5 million annually. Now, the goal is $25 million annually. Or more. And we think that goal is absolutely attainable,” said Hunter Baddour, president and co-founder of Spyre Sports, a Tennessee-centric college sports collective. “We’ll have to work hard, which we will. If this is how the game is played, then game on.”

“We’re prepared to invest a substantial amount of resources into the 2023 recruiting class,” Baddour said. “When you add all that together, it’s well into the seven-figure category.”

Baddour and CEO James Clawson co-founded Spyre Sports in 2020 and quickly found fertile ground in name, image and likeness. It has become one of the sport’s most organized and advanced collectives, a new catch-all term in college sports for groups of fans with varying budgets set aside to help aid players in monetizing their name, image and likeness. Money is pooled from a variety of sources and distributed to players according to their value, while players are responsible for providing deliverables such as event appearances, social media posts or autographs.

While it’s impossible to quantify the precise impact of money from an NIL package in a recruit’s mind, Tennessee signed seven of the nine Class of 2022 prospects Spyre Sports had significant conversations with during the recruiting process, according to Spyre.

“We need to make sure he understands what his potential opportunities are available if he comes to Tennessee, whether it’s businesses that have done deals are have said they want to do them in Knoxville, Nashville or nationally. We show him, these are how many players are on six-figure deals,” Clawson said. “We feel like the quarterback at Tennessee can make as much money as anywhere in the country. If you go out and replicate the season Hendon Hooker just had, there’s no reason why at the end of the day in deals we do and other companies do or national brands, the quarterback at Tennessee shouldn’t make seven figures a year.”

Has anybody that has “donated” money to this group asked about the administrative cut they are taking? I find it hard to believe that a group that was making as much as they were representing pro athletes would turn most of their attention to college NIL deals to do it for nothing.

It’s the way the game is played now, it just screams grifter to me.

Has anybody that has “donated” money to this group asked about the administrative cut they are taking? I find it hard to believe that a group that was making as much as they were representing pro athletes would turn most of their attention to college NIL deals to do it for nothing.

It’s the way the game is played now, it just screams grifter to me.
It’s on their website. 10%

Reactions: kcvols1
It’s on their website. 10%

Then it makes sense why they’ve done this. Standard cut for agents in the NFL is 1.5-3%. So by heading down this road, they’re setting the market for an agent’s cut and there’s no players association to do anything about it.

Then it makes sense why they’ve done this. Standard cut for agents in the NFL is 1.5-3%. So by heading down this road, they’re setting the market for an agent’s cut and there’s no players association to do anything about it.

That is the player contract. Advertising dollars are in the 10-20% range

Reactions: Bruce Wayne
So, they want people to donate 25 mil a year for recruiting, and they get to keep 2.5 mil?

I’m just not sure how I feel about this

10 per cent is acceptable.
What is of more concern to me is who decides how to spend the 90 per cent.
Can a donation be designated to football only?
I wouldn't touch this thing with a 10 foot pole.

Can someone post the Stewart Mandel hit piece? Jay Bilas quote-tweeted it and made the post below in response. I find it hilarious that Mandel and Forde only mention Tennessee in a negative manner. They have nothing good to say about anything going on in Knoxville.

If anyone has a good handle on this, it’s Bilas.

He isn’t always right, but he’s usually well considered.

Standard cut for marketing deals for NFL athletes is 15-20%.

These aren’t NFL contract negotiations which is 1.5-3%. These are NIL marketing deals.

So, they want people to donate 25 mil a year for recruiting, and they get to keep 2.5 mil?

I’m just not sure how I feel about this

The 10% isn’t salary only. The 10% also goes to cover all the operating costs for the agency, event costs, production costs, and other various hard cost.

VN Store

Back