At the earliest

I like Rick personally. He is an alumnus who always participated in alumni events and fundraisers.

HOWEVER, he is woefully unqualified to be a college baseball coach in the current environment.

His only qualification, other than being likable, is that he played college baseball when the sport and its administration was VERY different than it is today.

Mark Conner was slightly more qualified than Honeycutt with only pro experience. Look how that turned out.

Todd Raleigh was and is more qualified than Honeycutt, Phil Garner and Alan Cockrell.

I'm sorry to say that but it's true with ZERO doubts.

I appreciate how Vol Fans love their former players but hiring them just based on that is a disaster waiting to happen.

If we hire Cockrell, Garner or Honeycutt tomorrow, I would feel worse (without doubt) than when we hire the current bozo.

You guys that suggest these names have no idea how difficult it is is to coach college baseball. It is (without a doubt) the hardest collegiate sport to manage.

Scholarship restrictions.
JUCO transfers
Gametime interfering with classtime.
APRs
Weather
recruiting
Interfering helicopter parents
scheduling
travel
3 year and often 2-year draftees
draft of high school and juco recruits
limited practice time
fundraising

All before you even consider managing a game.

You can't just drop a pro coach into that situation and expect him to succeed.

Todd Raleigh couldn't handle it and he's been coaching college ball for 12 years.

I'm sorry and you will hate me for saying all this but there is nothing but truth in what I write.

Tennessee MUST hire a proven college coach or assistant at a Top-5 program.
and the fans have to stop living in the "Alumni Dream World"

Frye, I agree with you. What about a guy like the coach from FGCU - Dave Tollett. He's won the Atlantic Sun 3 years in a row (73-20 conference record over the last 3 seasons I believe), played the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation this year (games at Clemson, Ok St, Witchita St, Florida and Miami), and currently ranked 28th in the nation. He seems to have built a winner in the "hotbed" of baseball (South Florida) which means he's succeeded with "less talent" than a BCS school...Thoughts? Be kind, it's my first post...lol...

Last edited:
Frye, I agree with you. What about a guy like the coach from FGCU - Dave Tollett. He's won the Atlantic Sun 3 years in a row (73-20 conference record over the last 3 seasons I believe), played the toughest non-conference schedule in the nation this year (games at Clemson, Ok St, Witchita St, Florida and Miami), and currently ranked 28th in the nation. He seems to have built a winner in the "hotbed" of baseball (South Florida) which means he's succeeded with "less talent" than a BCS school...Thoughts? Be kind, it's my first post...lol...

Ole Dave's a hop, skip and throw from me and a fine job he has done. His recruiting is from both the South and Southwest FL base (Miami - Tamp Bay) except for two Canuckian INFs. :crazy:

His problem would be that he has no recruiting base and little name recognition outside FL and a growing, well funded university behind him.

Does he give all that up for a school who has tragically treated its baseball program as a bastard child?

:yes::no::question:

I know Dave, he's a great guy. But he seems like he would be in the 'Raleigh' mode of thinking. I'm not so sure he would be a good fit at UT.

On the other hand, I agree, Finwood might be a good guy to look at. But can you lure away a guy who has huge job security at WKU and give him just 3 years to win in the toughest conference in the NCAA? Firing Todd will give you options, but maybe not the ones you want. It might also turn alway some potential candidates because they are afraid UT might be 'trigger happy.'

What's the 'Raleigh' mode of thinking? Dave's teams have won... Raleigh's teams have not... Dave's teams compete, even with less talent... Raleigh's teams do not, even with MORE talent... He's had to live as the Red-headed stepchild in an area known for it's prima donnas -- and has won. Why would you not want someone with a chip on his shoulder to get the program back to respectibility? He's been ingrained in high school baseball for over a decade in South Florida. Two of the colleges in his conference are in Tennessee (Lipscomb and Belmont). He's from TN... I know his recruiting is stretching as far as Texas and even into the Memphis area... Another championship ring saying "3-PEAT" can be a very inspiring and influential bargaining chip in a prospect's living room... I think Volnation could get behind a proven winner... Dooley has lineage. Where's his recruiting base? I don't think he has the "Raleigh" mode of thinking (how can I parlay a mediocre career into a BCS coaching gig?)

Todd couldn't go to a recruit and say, "Hey, I've been a consistent winner. I've built a program from the ground up. One of my players is a Top 5 Draft Pick (Chris Sale - this year, just watch). You have a chance to make a difference and turn a major program around."

I really think he's ready for the big time. Know of another place he could make his mark? I think he has the "Pearl" mode of thinking more than "Raleigh"...

Last edited:
This just in... Coach Dave Tollett wins THIRD CONSECUTIVE Atlantic Sun Conference Coach of the Year. Chris Sale wins Atlantic Sun Pitcher of the Year award after leading all three of the pitching Triple Crown categories - an unblemished 10-0 record, a 1.97 ERA and a nation’s best 135 strikeouts. . Sale is the 2nd FGCU pitcher to win the award in three years...

I think he (Tollett) can find talent -- then do something with it when they get to him...

Mr. Hamilton: This guy might be worth a look...:good!:

What's the 'Raleigh' mode of thinking? Dave's teams have won... Raleigh's teams have not... Dave's teams compete, even with less talent... Raleigh's teams do not, even with MORE talent... He's had to live as the Red-headed stepchild in an area known for it's prima donnas -- and has won. Why would you not want someone with a chip on his shoulder to get the program back to respectibility? He's been ingrained in high school baseball for over a decade in South Florida. Two of the colleges in his conference are in Tennessee (Lipscomb and Belmont). He's from TN... I know his recruiting is stretching as far as Texas and even into the Memphis area... Another championship ring saying "3-PEAT" can be a very inspiring and influential bargaining chip in a prospect's living room... I think Volnation could get behind a proven winner... Dooley has lineage. Where's his recruiting base? I don't think he has the "Raleigh" mode of thinking (how can I parlay a mediocre career into a BCS coaching gig?)

Todd couldn't go to a recruit and say, "Hey, I've been a consistent winner. I've built a program from the ground up. One of my players is a Top 5 Draft Pick (Chris Sale - this year, just watch). You have a chance to make a difference and turn a major program around."

I really think he's ready for the big time. Know of another place he could make his mark? I think he has the "Pearl" mode of thinking more than "Raleigh"...

Tollett recurits to kids who are 'under-recruited' in a hotbed area. Most of the top-talent kids, which you guys want, have been fed they are SEC/ACC material for several years. While Tollett has been able to get some kids like Sale, the other ones (which makes the entire component of a team) are ones that were 'overlooked' and have a 'chip on their shouler' mentality. Not saying he wouldn't fit, but your reasoning is the same reasoning people wanted Raleigh. And I'm sorry but the Atlantic Sun is not even on the same level as the Sun Belt. If you were going to a mid major program, I'd go with Chris Finwood or Turtle Thomas (former Miami asssistant) now at FIU.

Look, I know you're an Sun Belt homer...Heck, I graduated from MTSU and I love my Blue Raiders... But I think your discounting FGCU's work against teams in the Sunbelt...I will admit they've only played two teams from the MIGHTY SUNBELT, but a 5-2 overall record against FIU and a 5-1 overall record against FAU can't just be ignored. And right now, the only ranked team in any poll in the country is FGCU...Here's the link:

NCAA.com ? The Official Website of NCAA Championships - Baseball

I'll agree with you on the Atlantic Sun not being on the same level as the Sun Belt. FGCU is the only Atlantic Sun member ranked in the top 100 (#40). For reference, let's compare the Sun Belt to say -- the Southern Conference. After all, that's where the great "Raleigh" came from.. 35-win teams: SOCON - 5 SUNBELT - 2. # of Ranked teams: SOCON - 0 SUNBELT - 0. # of Automatic Bids: SOCON - 0 SUNBELT - 0. Highest RPI RANKING: College of Charleston - SOCON..

I'm looking through Raleigh's record prior to coming to the hill, and there's really no comparison... Raleigh had a .551 winning percentage over 466 games - Tollett on the other hand has a .689 winning percentage over 441 games. Raleigh's tenure at Western Carolina looked like a roller coaster at Six Flags. Up and down throughout his career - Tollett hasn't lost 20 games in a season-- EVER!! It's not the same reasoning. The resumes are COMPLETELY different.

I will admit Chris Finwood and Turtle Thomas have more D-1 experience as asst. coaches, but I'm not catching any other similarity past coaching at mid-majors between Tollett and Raleigh. If Finwood and Thomas are such great coaches, why haven't other BCS-types courted them away from their mid-majors? Surely there's been a chance...

There is a lot of talk that Hamilton says that Raleigh is "his coach" and will be back next year. Just passing along what I read

There is a lot of talk that Hamilton says that Raleigh is "his coach" and will be back next year. Just passing along what I read
Somebody better tell Hammy its time to cut the umblical cord on this one before its too late.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Somebody better tell Hammy its time to cut the umblical cord on this one before its too late.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

This failed experiment should be over. I'm all for continuity when things show some promise, but this experiment hasn't.

In his time at Tennessee....Hamilton has destroyed both the football and baseball programs...3 football coaches in 3 years and the Raleigh era...can't get much worse

The worst case scenario I posted about 2 weeks ago came true...Vols finish strong in eyes of Hamilton (even with the 0-5 stretch to end the year) and he keeps Raleigh...team doesn't finish good enough to make the SEC and NCAA tournaments...what a disaster

I emailed Hammy back in April concerning Dave Tollett. I know for a fact that Dave has strong interest in the Tennessee job. Dave's career goal, not suprisingly, is to become an SEC coach despite the money behind FGCU athletics. If Tennessee doesn't hire Dave, Tennessee will no doubt face Dave Tollett coached teams in the SEC.

Dave spent 4 years at Tusculum College in Greeneville having graduated from Tusculum in 1988. He has always loved East Tenn. Dave is a people person who can connect with virtually anyone including a potential student-athlete's parents and other decision-makers. He is a tireless worker who has spent many a night on the couch in his office.

I have spoken with Dave many times over the last few months and schools are coming a callin' as they say (FYI, I went to high school and college with Dave). In fact, Hammy should be in Nashville sitting next to me watching FGCU play in the A-Sun tournament.

Alas, Hammy never responded to my email but I hope he did take the time to read it.

I'm not saying Dave wouldn't be a great hire. You are right about FGCU being strong, but please remember that they were D2 up until 2006. So four seasons were not D1. You are not getting my point here. Dave is a great coach, but he doesn't fit the SEC mold. Why do I say that? Because having worked kid from SEC level to Sun Belt to Atlantic Sun level -- there is a major difference. Not neccessarily in talent, but in attitude.
Raleigh hasn't been able to adjust with that. I am sure Dave can adjust better, he fits the personality better. But Tennessee can't afford... (Mike Hamilton can't afford) to take another 'chance' hire.

A lot of kids of SEC caliber have 'big' egos because they have been talked up. They have to be a little bit more 'babied.' Where as Raleigh wants to control the kids with mind games and other stuff. He can do that at WCU, but can't get away with that at UT.

If Hamilton hires Tollett, he is taking a risk. But I may be wrong, but hearing from the coaching circles, UT won't pull the plug this year. They are afraid it will scare some good candiates away if you only give a coach three years. Whether that's fair or not, it's not my area to judge, only the AD can access the program. Hamilton is under no circumstance in need of a risky hire, because it could cost him his job.

If Finwood and Thomas are such great coaches, why haven't other BCS-types courted them away from their mid-majors? Surely there's been a chance...

Finwood just finished his 4th year at Western. Very few coaches get courted away after only 2 years of success. I do believe however, anyone is going to have trouble courting him because he's content where he's at.

On the other hand, I agree, Finwood might be a good guy to look at. But can you lure away a guy who has huge job security at WKU and give him just 3 years to win in the toughest conference in the NCAA?

Luring Chris away from Western would be hard for the reason you mention: security. Throw in the fact that he's not actively looking/applying for other jobs and its gonna be hard for anyone to get to him. He's said numerous times that he loves it here, his family loves it here and his two boys are playing HS ball for one of the better teams in the state and he has no real plans of uprooting them.

I originally mistyped when I said that Matt Myers the pitching coach graduated from UT in 2005. It was 1998. 2005 was when he was at Auburn as a GA/assistant. He's someone I'd really take a look at. He's an associate HC and pitching coach with experience at the SEC level as a player and coach. FTR he did in fact produce his 2nd Sun Belt pitcher of the year in the last 2 years, as Matt Ridings was crowned yesterday after going 9-1 on the year with an ERA of 3.00. He's the Sun Belt's all-time winningest pitcher with 34 victories.

If Hamilton hires Tollett, he is taking a risk. But I may be wrong, but hearing from the coaching circles, UT won't pull the plug this year. They are afraid it will scare some good candiates away if you only give a coach three years. Whether that's fair or not, it's not my area to judge, only the AD can access the program. Hamilton is under no circumstance in need of a risky hire, because it could cost him his job.

:cray:

Sad but true...unless you find a coach who understands what a dud mistake Rolly was in the beginning.

Coach can always require a buyout if canned pre-four years.

VN Store

Back