At What Point...

mrmax86

Fight. Strain. Compete.
Are the pundits going to stop saying:

"Everybody thinks Heupel's offense is sling it all over the map"

"Air Raid"

"Art Briles System"

Guys this is JOSH HEUPEL'S SYSTEM. We are here, and we aren't going anywhere. If you don't know by now that we can burn you through the air and on the ground, that's your problem. Time for the narrative to shift.

Hehe… some things never change.
Let em thing what they want!
I probably don't have enough fingers to count how many times I've heard on podcasts phrases like this the last couple weeks.

"Everyone thinks they just throw it around".

We've been this pedigree for 4 years now. You don't have to say that anymore.

How is it that a team that had more rushing yards than passing yards in the last game against a rated team described that way? It has even been said here that Spurrier was like that. This "new" offensive gimmick has been around for about 30 years and really even more than that, but UT is still rushing mighty well even though this is a gimmicky pass offense (no huddle to keep substitues off the field I guess is gimmicky then).

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
It’s kinda similar to the Vols futility against Spurrier’s FL teams. The concern was always them throwing it all over. The reality was they almost always significantly won the rushing battle. A good rushing offense makes the passing game lethal.

"Air Raid"

"Art Briles System"

Guys this is JOSH HEUPEL'S SYSTEM. We are here, and we aren't going anywhere. If you don't know by now that we can burn you through the air and on the ground, that's your problem. Time for the narrative to shift.
Why should we care what they say? Look, our fans need to stop hunting for things to whine about. Just play the game, and let our playing do the talking.

Well said friend. Anything, new, innovative, productive, and works successfully is considered a "Gimmick" in this game. Comical though, everyone else is just Jealous!!

This scheme with a solid defense is a breast. Juggernaut

GBO

Well CJH is laughing at that narrative. I think we should too. Teams can go ahead and focus on the past if they want, and we'll gladly run for 250+ on them

Why are you listening to talking heads or podcasts when you have Volnation at your fingertips?
I get everything I need to know right here!
I do sometimes go to ESPN and look at scores, box scores, and rankings.

Why are you listening to talking heads or podcasts when you have Volnation at your fingertips?
I get everything I need to know right here!
I do sometimes go to ESPN and look at scores, box scores, and rankings.
If I could listen to VolNation I would!

I listen to Tennessee Podcasts and Josh Pate, and I catch random stuff on Twitter. They all do it. The Tennessee Podcasts like to use the talking point that "everyone thinks..." but it's been long enough, if "everyone" still thinks that, then they don't really deserve to comment on Tennessee Football.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
The stats say this is a run first team and a successful one at that. But the highlight reels are always the flashy, large chunk pass plays.

There are a lot of lazy journalists and analysts.

That and I think a lot of people assume that running our high tempo as an attempt to wear out defenses is kind of a "gimmicky" tactic.

That and I think a lot of people assume that running our high tempo as an attempt to wear out defenses is kind of a "gimmicky" tactic.
My observation is that we did it a lot more the first couple seasons, and that we've come off it lately. Last year we tried, but we didn't gel and I think Joe couldn't quite process everything as fast.

This season, as I understand, we're going faster than ever, but I am not seeing us doing it "every play". I think we are just gelling so well, that we can do whatever we want. If going fast benefits us, then we will. If we want to hold the ball for 10 seconds and let the receivers catch their breath, or check a defensive alignment, we will.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If that's the narrative you keep hearing, you need to change what you watch and read. Avoid them at all costs because they are absolutely clueless. Most of the good podcasts and shows I have been watching lately have been talking about how dominant our D has been and how we will run it down your throat at will and not much you can do about it.

If that's the narrative you keep hearing, you need to change what you watch and read. Avoid them at all costs because they are absolutely clueless. Most of the good podcasts and shows I have been watching lately have been talking about how dominant our D has been and how we will run it down your throat at will and not much you can do about it.
What I'm hearing isn't people directly saying we are one-dimensional offensively, I'm hearing them say "everyone thinks".

"Air Raid"

"Art Briles System"

It's for filthy casuals. The simple people of sports watching. The common clay of the growing college football fandom. You know. Morons.

The flapping heads don't say it because they believe it to be revelatory, they say it because it's an easy way to cue up their "by the way, Tennessee rushed for another 250 yards this week" stat line while they continue to fill out their 30-60 minutes of content for their shows which are growing on the viewership of - you guessed it - filthy casuals.

Once Tennessee blows through that last ceiling and hits the big time, that talking point will fade away. I've already a noticed a growing chorus of "Josh Heupel is one of the best, if not the best, offensive masterminds in college football." So maybe they'll go to that next. Hmm. Yes. Yes, I think I'll rather enjoy that.

I probably don't have enough fingers to count how many times I've heard on podcasts phrases like this the last couple weeks.

"Everyone thinks they just throw it around".

We've been this pedigree for 4 years now. You don't have to say that anymore.
I get what you're saying. But maybe they keep saying it because the perception still exists? Who knows.

It's not just that Tennessee CAN run the ball...Tennessee is a run-first offense. The running game is actually the primary focus of this offense (as the stats bear out). But, to be fair, the passing game is a big play passing attack, so it may just be that those splash plays are what stick out in people's minds. They think of Jalin Hyatt getting behind Bama's defense 5 times when they think of Heupel's offense.

This used to be true of Spurrier's offense too. It was called the "Fun n' Gun," but they really wanted to run the ball, then hit you with the big pass play. But everyone thought of it as a pass-first offense.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Well said friend. Anything, new, innovative, productive, and works successfully is considered a "Gimmick" in this game. Comical though, everyone else is just Jealous!!

This scheme with a solid defense is a breast. Juggernaut

GBO
There was two elements missing the past two years. Elite defense and a very good underneath game with the tight ends. Those are there now and it makes this team even more dangerous. I am still hesitant to say how good I really think this team is. If we go into Oklahoma and beat them by ten plus, we are destined for great things.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back