Athlon anonymous coach comments on Tennessee

Seemed like Thornton was starting to show flashes before the injury. Or maybe I'm just being swayed by the touchdown play when he was injured.

You're right, that was a terrible moment for us.

Reactions: DrTNT
Brazzell had two 100-yard games last year and 5 TDs against bad competition - which is (as the anonymous coach described it) "decent".

Bru is my favorite Vol, but he's coming of a nasty injury. Wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Squirrel only scored 2 TDs last year, but I blame the QB. He's solid but he's small and not fast enough for his size to be "elite" - which was the coach's point... we don't have any elite targets.

People holding out hope for Thornton reminds me of when people were holding out hope for JJ Peterson. At some point y'all have to just look at the guy's production and take off the blinders. I suspect that he will be Brazzell's backup.

Matthews has boat load of potential. Can't wait to see him play. I wouldn't be shocked if he has one of the best freshman seasons of all-time, BUT, again, he's unproven.

Staes caught 15 passes last year. Not exactly Brock Bowers, but we don't need him to be. Staes will be solid, IMO, but I don't think anyone is expecting him to be "elite".
So you’re ready to write someone off after they spent less than a year in the program?? coaches do develop talent… players do improve over time…

Brazzell had two 100-yard games last year and 5 TDs against bad competition - which is (as the anonymous coach described it) "decent".

Bru is my favorite Vol, but he's coming of a nasty injury. Wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Squirrel only scored 2 TDs last year, but I blame the QB. He's solid but he's small and not fast enough for his size to be "elite" - which was the coach's point... we don't have any elite targets.

People holding out hope for Thornton reminds me of when people were holding out hope for JJ Peterson. At some point y'all have to just look at the guy's production and take off the blinders. I suspect that he will be Brazzell's backup.

Matthews has boat load of potential. Can't wait to see him play. I wouldn't be shocked if he has one of the best freshman seasons of all-time, BUT, again, he's unproven.

Staes caught 15 passes last year. Not exactly Brock Bowers, but we don't need him to be. Staes will be solid, IMO, but I don't think anyone is expecting him to be "elite".
Gotta get open and then catch ball. Boy we all hope coaches know what they're doing.....

No elite wideout or obvious target? Thoughts?

Not a bad statement, however I am more interested in what the running back room does this year. To have the balance Heupel has predicated that passing game on the last 3 years, that is a must. WR room is fine, for the last 3 years, going into the 3rd year, that is the one position I feel like a major injury would not really hurt the production at.

Reactions: memtownvol

Brazzell will excel in this system, he has the speed to and honestly, contrary to what a lot think, its a simple system for WRs.

I think Bru will be alright, depends on the role we use him in, Heupel has a way of putting guys in a position to succeed.

Blaming the QB for the last year is reasonable, but what was the reason for Keyton not having more TD passes, they all dropped balls last season, Keyton dropped at least two for sure TDs that were game changers. Joe was decent enough, had his faults for sure, but the WR did not do a lot to help him last year.

Thornton spent a lot of last season banged up. If he is healthy this year, he will see plenty of targets. Peterson was an overweight LB that the previous staff missed on. Thornton has the intangibles and will have a QB capable of getting the best out of him. I think we see a big jump out of him in year two of Heupel, look at Jalin Hyatt.

Matthews is raw, but I think dude has that dawg in him and is fully capable if being that dude. This staff evaluates talent really well, I think he will be as advertise.
A lot of schools wanted Holden Staes, Alabama wanted him before Saban said "I'm done", I think that speaks a lot for the kid's talent. Who will be elite in the TE room though? Who was the kid that got hurt last year in the O&W game on a pretty incredible catch and throw?

I don't disagree with what you're saying, however I do think Tennessee has a lot more depth at that WR spot than people want to give them credit for and as some has said, an elite QB can mask some of the weaknesses at that spot. Either way its going to be a fun year, we have a pretty favorable schedule, good enough talent to where not one single game on the schedule outside of UGA is a guaranteed loss and I really don't think that's as sold as some think, but if Heupel can get that road win at Oklahoma early in the year, that UGA game is massive and they can win that game.

Go Vols!

The annual "off the record" article always makes me laugh. Could be a Defensive Coordinator. Could be a Grad Assistant strength coach.
This is a journalist playground. The old unnamed source. Gives them complete in total blank slate to make up anything they want, and there's no one who can check any of it.

Gotta get open and then catch ball. Boy we all hope coaches know what they're doing.....
Nico throws a far more catchable ball than Joe WRs still gotta make the play but Joe didn’t always make it an easy catch and his velocity make small misses harder to catch… but WRs def will be better this year year 2 in heup system sees a lot of jumps… I think Thornton will be that guy this year… the attributes are there it’s time to play fast and make plays.

Nico throws a far more catchable ball than Joe WRs still gotta make the play but Joe didn’t always make it an easy catch and his velocity make small misses harder to catch… but WRs def will be better this year year 2 in heup system sees a lot of jumps… I think Thornton will be that guy this year… the attributes are there it’s time to play fast and make plays.
Yes I’d say 80% of the drop issues were on Joe, 20% on the receivers not being very good. When you’re as inconsistent with accuracy and ball placement as Joe and you rifle every pass in there with the speed Joe could throw it at, it makes life tough for a receiver.

It's a fair comment. Our WRs were the worst unit on the team last year and it wasn't even close. They were terrible.

Some of the guys we've brought in have the potential to be really good, but they haven't proven anything.
Did you happen to see our secondary?

Reactions: BogeyVol
Again... I don't see a problem with the statement. We MAY have an "elite" WR in the room somewhere, but that has yet to be seen. Right NOW... I think it's fair to say it's a pretty good room with a lot of potential. Hopefully, they'll use this for motivation to get better and prove 'em wrong.

Reactions: volfan102455
It's a fair comment. Our WRs were the worst unit on the team last year and it wasn't even close. They were terrible.

Some of the guys we've brought in have the potential to be really good, but they haven't proven anything.

We have one of the most productive WR cores in the nation at the moment between Bru, Squirrel, Brazzel, Thornton, Nimrod, and Webb. I don't think many teams are going find their 6th or 7th WRs with much, if any production. And obviously, that doesn't even mention highly talented guys like Matthews, Leacock, and Staley, all of which were top 100 overall players.

I think Mike Matthews could be that guy but idk if I'm expecting it year 1. We have a very good collective group of weapons regardless.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back