Atlanta Braves Thread VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Braves wait until it's clear that that ceiling will be reached, then they won't be able to afford him. I don't disagree with your basic point, but A) this is an environment in which salaries are going to inflate tremendously over the next few years, and B) the Braves' awful TV deal will make them unable to keep up. If I were Frank Wren I'd be eager to roll the dice on both of those guys right now while I still can.

In terms of reason B, that would be one of the exact reasons why, I as a GM, would be hesitant to pull the trigger.

Daryl Strawberry made 8 straight All-Star games starting at the age of 22. He also averaged 90+ RBI's during that same time and almost 30 HRs as well.

You may be absolutely correct in your assertion but guys who had 1 or 2 good years only to never be heard from again are literally a dime a dozen in the big leagues.

You know what "poor man's version of" means, right?

There is zero chance that Heyward will "never be heard from again" in a year or two unless he gets hurt. We've seen enough to know what his floor is.

The Braves have about a three year window to win, and then all their good players' contracts expire over the course of a couple years. They will then enter into a 10-year period of famine until one of the worst the worst TV deals in baseball expires. Given what's about to happen to salaries, the Braves have almost no chance to bring any of those guys back unless they go ahead and lock them up now, long-term, at today's rates. I admit that it's a risk; however, the alternative is to do nothing, let everybody leave in 2016-2017, and then spend 10 years trying to rebuild like the Marlins.

You know what "poor man's version of" means, right?

There is zero chance that Heyward will "never be heard from again" in a year or two unless he gets hurt. We've seen enough to know what his floor is.

The Braves have about a three year window to win, and then all their good players' contracts expire over the course of a couple years. They will then enter into a 10-year period of famine until one of the worst the worst TV deals in baseball expires. Given what's about to happen to salaries, the Braves have almost no chance to bring any of those guys back unless they go ahead and lock them up now, long-term, at today's rates. I admit that it's a risk; however, the alternative is to do nothing, let everybody leave in 2016-2017, and then spend 10 years trying to rebuild like the Marlins.
633124284.jpg

There's a corner, Z. Would you rather have Ansah/Slay or Milliner/whatever DE was here?

I don't think Geno or Nassib, whoever the next QB is, gets past 42 here. Jets at 39 and Raiders at 42 have to consider it.

Bengals have Gresham, Eifert, Gio, AJ Green. And the Titans offense looks loadedddd right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back