Back in the day Fulmer did something unique

Wasn't it Greg Adkins on the OL under Fulmer? He might've been better at developing guys for the transition than Elarbee.

That's not a knock on Elarbee but I think coaching technique, vision, etc for that transition would be challenging at the D1 level these days.

Reactions: ZRod50
He converted several D lineman into O lineman. Said his reasoning was D Lineman were usually meaner & tougher.
Seems you don't see that happen anymore
This was a philosophy that both he and Chavis shared to get more speed and athleticism at every position...

Convert DB's to safeties
Safties (and RB's) to linebackers.
Line backers to defensive ends.
Defensive Ends to Defensive tackles
Defensive tackles (and tight ends) to offensive tackles
Offensive tackles to offensive guards.

This was a philosophy that both he and Chavis shared to get more speed and athleticism at every position...

Convert DB's to safeties
Safties (and RB's) to linebackers.
Line backers to defensive ends.
Defensive Ends to Defensive tackles
Defensive tackles (and tight ends) to offensive tackles
Offensive tackles to offensive guards.
I wonder how many of those guys ended up in the league?

I don't think Clifton or Haynesworth were transitioned guys.

Reactions: Sarms58
In the 80's colleges would recruit QB's for skill positions, D linemen for o line, de for dl, and so on. In those days if you weren't very athletic you didn't play dl in high school. The QB's back then were usually the best athletes on the teams. The passing game was not as developed back then. Jimmy Johnson at Miami started putting more importance on speed on defense than size. In 86 and 87 we didn't have a single player over 300lbs on the team. One player showed up in 87 over 300 and they made him diet until he got down to 290.

Jason Witten was recruited as a DL but soon became a great TE. Jason could block, catch....all with the "attitude". :cool:
Witten is the most complete TE in the history of the game. Our dinosaur offense in the early 2000’s didn’t get him enough targets. The man was one of the best skill position blockers I’ve ever seen

Several WRs were converted to world class corners. Terry McDaniel (pre- Fulmer) and Jonathan Wade for example.

Reactions: knox73
He converted several D lineman into O lineman. Said his reasoning was D Lineman were usually meaner & tougher.
Seems you don't see that happen anymore

yeah, this is true. i remember radio shows talking about. they were offensive players with a defensive mindset and they were very aggressive. wasn't John Henderson initially a defensive guy?

I’m not a fan of making fun of the second best coach in our programs history, but somebody put a lot of work in to this one so I’ll give them credit. Charlie Weis and Ralph Friedgen as spectators is a nice touch.

i've wondered how a sumo wrestler would do they got quick hands and quick feet. they'd need to get that endurance up

VN Store

Back