Band aspirations

Volnpupville

My Best friend's son is a junior at Watertown Highschool. His goal is to play in the band at UT. Can someone tell me who to contact To get him pointed in the right direction? He truly is a gifted musician and UT runs through his blood. How do we make this happen?? Id post a video of them telling him to go completely off script, and to do his thing. I can't figure out how to though, but I do have it šŸ˜‚

If Megan cant help, just have him call the band office. They'll be able to steer him in the right direction. She should be able to help though

its alot of hard work but its worth it.
Thank you so much, I'm super proud of the work he is showing to make his dream come true and that is his dream. If he calls is there any particular person he'd need to talk to?

Thank you so much, I'm super proud of the work he is showing to make his dream come true and that is his dream. If he calls is there any particular person he'd need to talk to?
if he goes that route without talking to the Pre Collegiate Engagement Coordinator, I'd say call the general number and tell them he's a rising senior and ask what he needs to do to audition for the band

View attachment 676180
This is the best route to take. Good luck to the young musician & VOL fan! :cool:

The UT Band is limited to 415 students and in recent years they have had 550-600 audition. Saxophones are needed but arenā€™t in as high demand as an instrument like tuba. Make sure he practices his tail off for his audition. Tell him to make sure he meets at least one of the band directors when he goes for a tour. The directors are fantastic gentleman and are very welcoming. Making a connection with them before his audition will help. Best wishes!

Have him switch to trumpet.
Have him join the POTSB.
After he graduates, have him go into coaching. Specifically, college football.
Once he makes head coach, have him--this is critical, key step--have him get the head coaching job at Georgia, Bama, or Florida.
All will go swimmingly after that. Maybe not for his team, but for us.

I have all this on good authority.

1726225548577.png

Seriously, good luck to the lad, hope he makes the cut!

Go Vols!

I LOVED reading this, this morning. You know...I NEVER want to take The Pride of the Southland Marching Band for granted. They have SERIOUSLY been a LARGE part of my 60+ years of enjoyment of Tennessee Football. And, as I've said several times before...I ALWAYS tear up like a little girl during the Pre-Game Festivities.

So GREAT to hear of a young man wanting to be a part...and to have so many here to help with the process. Neyland WITHOUT The Pride would NOT be the SAME!

Why can't a person just be in the band (as a college course) but not be part of the marching part? Maybe a person just wants to be part of the music.
The marching band is a credited course. They have various concert bands/small ensembles that are also credited courses. The basketball pep bands are also credited courses.

The UT Band is limited to 415 students and in recent years they have had 550-600 audition. Saxophones are needed but arenā€™t in as high demand as an instrument like tuba. Make sure he practices his tail off for his audition. Tell him to make sure he meets at least one of the band directors when he goes for a tour. The directors are fantastic gentleman and are very welcoming. Making a connection with them before his audition will help. Best wishes!
Dad of a POTS tuba player from '91 to '95...absolutely wonderful experiences during Dr. Julian era.

Reactions: Volnpupville
I know times are different but don't worry if your audition doesn't go well. I had the most anxiety ever during mine and thought I bombed it. I was in for 5 years so thank goodness Pat Root saw something in me that I didn't do well during the audition. I would suggest in person because your personality can shine.

Also, my time in the POTSB was the best years of my life hands down.

I know times are different but don't worry if your audition doesn't go well. I had the most anxiety ever during mine and thought I bombed it. I was in for 5 years so thank goodness Pat Root saw something in me that I didn't do well during the audition. I would suggest in person because your personality can shine.

Also, my time in the POTSB was the best years of my life hands down.
Thank you for the advice! I will definitely pass that along to him. I never played in band I preferred playing football but I can say I was one of the few players on my team that enjoyed to watch the band when I could. I understand the the immense talent that it takes to play an instrument and in most cases multiple instruments.

Here's another suggestion. Even though he may wanna march with his sax, he could increase his chances for a music scholarship if he is able to pick up a secondary less-popular instrument. Bassoon's a good choice if he can do it. That way the competition isn't as loaded with every other sax player in the state that wants the same thing.

Reactions: Volnpupville

VN Store

Back