Band aspirations

Here's another suggestion. Even though he may wanna march with his sax, he could increase his chances for a music scholarship if he is able to pick up a secondary less-popular instrument. Bassoon's a good choice if he can do it. That way the competition isn't as loaded with every other sax player in the state that wants the same thing.
Thank you I'll pass it along to him

Here's another suggestion. Even though he may wanna march with his sax, he could increase his chances for a music scholarship if he is able to pick up a secondary less-popular instrument. Bassoon's a good choice if he can do it. That way the competition isn't as loaded with every other sax player in the state that wants the same thing.
Is there a bassoon in the marching band? Seems like it would be rather difficult, those things are huge. But, good point, a variety of instruments would seemingly increase one's chances of getting in.

Is there a bassoon in the marching band? Seems like it would be rather difficult, those things are huge. But, good point, a variety of instruments would seemingly increase one's chances of getting in.
No, a bassoon would not survive inclimate weather. The suggestion is to pick up the bassoon to play in a concert band to help with getting a music scholarship. One person in POTS while I was there played a marching baritone in the marching band and bassoon in the concert band. She had a good scholarship at the time. Ok, so the musical instruments actually supplemented the fact that she was also a scholarship Lady Vol Heptathlete.

Reactions: TN Jed
No, a bassoon would not survive inclimate weather. The suggestion is to pick up the bassoon to play in a concert band to help with getting a music scholarship. One person in POTS while I was there played a marching baritone in the marching band and bassoon in the concert band. She had a good scholarship at the time. Ok, so the musical instruments actually supplemented the fact that she was also a scholarship Lady Vol Heptathlete.
Ahh, now I see. So why is the bassoon a problem in inclement weather? The reed? Just curious. And wow, that young lady you mentioned had a full plate for sure!

All, I don't come on your site much - looking to sell a TN Vols truck My Dad and I have put together. I'm sorry but is there a link to a page here I can sell the truck?

Last edited:
You don't march with the bassoon. March with the sax. Then make bassoon your primary instrument for the scholarship. But good point. I don't think anyone would enjoy marching a bassoon. One bad turn in the circle drill, ...

Ahh, now I see. So why is the bassoon a problem in inclement weather? The reed? Just curious. And wow, that young lady you mentioned had a full plate for sure!
Yes, she did. She was a good friend and fast as lightning. To answer your question, the body of a bassoon is relatively delicate in construction. Don't know if someone has developed a more durable version of the instrument, but I couldn't even guess how you could play it while marching. It looked awkward to play while sitting in a chair. That large double reed would be extremely subject to distortion from going up and down. With a Sax, the upper surface is the mouthpiece, so you can brace it against your upper teeth and let your lower lip support the reed.

Yes, she did. She was a good friend and fast as lightning. To answer your question, the body of a bassoon is relatively delicate in construction. Don't know if someone has developed a more durable version of the instrument, but I couldn't even guess how you could play it while marching. It looked awkward to play while sitting in a chair. That large double reed would be extremely subject to distortion from going up and down. With a Sax, the upper surface is the mouthpiece, so you can brace it against your upper teeth and let your lower lip support the reed.
I had totally forgotten that reed was a double reed. I had it in my mind that it was more like an oboe reed, and it is. Well, maybe larger. Anyways, you can tell this is a cupcake game....we're discussing woodwinds, lol. Thanks for the insight!

I had totally forgotten that reed was a double reed. I had it in my mind that it was more like an oboe reed, and it is. Well, maybe larger. Anyways, you can tell this is a cupcake game....we're discussing woodwinds, lol. Thanks for the insight!
An oboe, like a bassoon, is a double reed instrument. Just for clarification.

Love this thread. My oldest granddaughter is just beginning to learn how to play the French horn (she just started middle school). Is French horn as cutthroat as the other instruments mentioned in this thread? For her Papaā€™s selfish reasons, I would love for her to learn the baritone sax, but that thing is just about as big as she is (sheā€™s 11)!

Love this thread. My oldest granddaughter is just beginning to learn how to play the French horn (she just started middle school). Is French horn as cutthroat as the other instruments mentioned in this thread? For her Papaā€™s selfish reasons, I would love for her to learn the baritone sax, but that thing is just about as big as she is (sheā€™s 11)!
It takes a special kind of musician to master the French horn. There are a lot fewer of them than flute, clarinet, saxophone, and trumpet players. If sheā€™s willing to put the time into it and her family can afford it, private lessons will serve her well, and the investment can pay off if she decides to play in college.

Someone mentioned earlier a way to get a leg up in the audition process is to dabble in a secondary instrument. Another possibility is to join a drum corp for the summer. He would have to learn a new brass instrument but having a summer of dci on your resume would go a looooong way. Sure he wont be able to march with big boys like Bluecoats, Phantom, or Blue Devils but there are plenty around he could like Music City or Spirit of Atlanta.

I LOVED reading this, this morning. You know...I NEVER want to take The Pride of the Southland Marching Band for granted. They have SERIOUSLY been a LARGE part of my 60+ years of enjoyment of Tennessee Football. And, as I've said several times before...I ALWAYS tear up like a little girl during the Pre-Game Festivities.

So GREAT to hear of a young man wanting to be a part...and to have so many here to help with the process. Neyland WITHOUT The Pride would NOT be the SAME!
Whole hearted agreement!

Attachments

• Game Day Classic Parade in Knoxville.jpg
    Game Day Classic Parade in Knoxville.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: TAF
Someone mentioned earlier a way to get a leg up in the audition process is to dabble in a secondary instrument. Another possibility is to join a drum corp for the summer. He would have to learn a new brass instrument but having a summer of dci on your resume would go a looooong way. Sure he wont be able to march with big boys like Bluecoats, Phantom, or Blue Devils but there are plenty around he could like Music City or Spirit of Atlanta.
So I talked to him in depth a little more today to pass along a lot of the suggestions. He plays drums, trumpet, tuba, and sax. Would his highschool band director be able to find summer camps?

You don't march with the bassoon. March with the sax. Then make bassoon your primary instrument for the scholarship. But good point. I don't think anyone would enjoy marching a bassoon. One bad turn in the circle drill, ...
We had bassoon players in the band when I marched, but they learned to play other instruments. The one I know about played tuna. We had a few other people marching tuba whose main instruments were different -- clarinet and flute, etc.

Also, the Pride of the Southland has its own scholarships which don't require you to participate in a non-athletics ensemble. There's no advantage in auditioning a non-marching instrument, especially against competitors who are already ahead of you.

Given that most marchers aren't in music programs, you're probably not going to have a problem getting into the marching band if you're at the level to be considering majoring in performance. In fact, a lot of performance majors are relieved when they're done with marching, as it takes a lot of time and doesn't really help with the parts of performance that they're actually graded on.

So I talked to him in depth a little more today to pass along a lot of the suggestions. He plays drums, trumpet, tuba, and sax. Would his highschool band director be able to find summer camps?
his band direction should be able to guide him to a corp or know how to get the ball rolling

if you've never seen a drum corp show, search for one on youtube. Its not POTSB stuff making baseballs with Tony's name or the circle drill while playing Rocky Top or I Saw The Light. Its constant movement and the design moves while playing complex music. Its the major league of marching

his band direction should be able to guide him to a corp or know how to get the ball rolling

if you've never seen a drum corp show, search for one on youtube. Its not POTSB stuff making baseballs with Tony's name or the circle drill while playing Rocky Top or I Saw The Light. Its constant movement and the design moves while playing complex music. Its the major league of marching
I'll definitely have to look up a few shows

VN Store

Back