Band of Brothers

I'd put The West Wing and the Roots miniseries above it, but yes it's quality TV. Well written, well acted, well edited, great subject matter.

You got good taste Milo....

Good stuff, pick it up at Walmart for $60.00.
I saw the whole series twice when it was on HBO, and have owned the box set since the day it came out. I'd say this is probably my eighth time seeing the whole thing consecutively. The Breaking Point and Why We Fight still get to me.

Reactions: feathersax
I saw the whole series twice when it was on HBO, and have owned the box set since the day it came out. I'd say this is probably my eighth time seeing the whole thing consecutively. The Breaking Point and Why We Fight still get to me.
If you like the series, you should read Ambrose's book! Also, pick up the following great reads about Easy:
Beyong Band of Brothers Dick Winter's memoir
Biggest Brother A biography of Dick Winters
Parachute Infantryman David Webster's memoirs

Band of Brothers and Parachute Infantryman give great accounts of what it was to be among the enlisted ranks of Easy. The two Winters books give a great account of what it was to lead those men.

Good story is their march in winter to Atlanta.......their officer would not let them ride.........

At least I hope I am remembering that right....

UT did I dream that up?

Good story is their march in winter to Atlanta.......their officer would not let them ride.........

At least I hope I am remembering that right....

UT did I dream that up?
If I remember correctly, the 3rd Battalion rode from Toccoa to Ft. Benning, the 2nd Battalion marched from Toccoa to Atlanta, and the 1st from Atlanta to Benning.

The Japanese had just finished a march of about 70 miles in 3 days, and the 506th decided they could do better. Since then, the Army has instituted a 58 day ruck march we like to call Ranger School...

I think it is one of, if not the best miniseries in television history. Bill Gaurnier is my favorite character after Captain Winters. The comraderie between the "brothers" is what makes it great in my opinion. I'm very lucky that my wife loves it also, therefore I can watch it whenever it's on. It comes on the History channel quite often. Lonesome Dove is my other favorite.

Incredible series. I agree Milo, possibly the best! The book is better, goes into more detail. D-Day, and Ambrose's book on the Battle of the Little Bighorn are good as well.

Band of Brother is brilliant filmmaking helped along along greatly by a good material.

All of you guys (and gals) out there next time you see a fellow out there with a hat that says Vietnam Vet, Korean Vet or whatever. Walk up shake his hand and say "Thank you for your service to this country."

That is how I met 1st Lt Bill Funchess, held as a Korean War POW for 34 months.

AII POW-MIA InterNetwork

He wrote a book: "1000 Days of Torment" about his experience.

ClemsonVol

Reactions: Orangeburst
Just a wonderful mini-series. Watched it many times since I bought it, and if I happen to catch it on HBO I always stop and watch whatever episode is on.

Truly amazing what those men went through, and Dick Winters is an incredible leader and human-being.

Every time I watch it, I become more convinced it could very well be the best program in television history.

I really like this program too. Haven't seen all the episodes yet. Seemed to always catch the episodes at the end instead of the beginning.

I just finished the series for the first time. Absolutely incredible, and I would say top 5 of all time. Powerful, great characters, difficult to watch, true to subject, and honored the men who served.

I'm going to start it over with my dad soon.

As far as mini-series' go, it and Chernobyl definitely battle it out for that top spot

As far as mini-series' go, it and Chernobyl definitely battle it out for that top spot

Yeah, Chernobyl was definitely up there as far as Mini-series are concerned. I loved Band of Brothers. Watched the series multiple times. I wished The Pacific was as good. I think I had too high of expectations for it after Band of Brothers.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
Yeah, Chernobyl was definitely up there as far as Mini-series are concerned. I loved Band of Brothers. Watched the series multiple times. I wished The Pacific was as good. I think I had too high of expectations for it after Band of Brothers.
read both novels. showed insight to this very question.

basically, Maj Winters and brass kept good records. Also embed writers brought the 'cozier' campaign home to the masses.

Thinking about the Marines in Pacific Theater. Story is being retold by three main narrators, well, by Ambrose's son via those three. One of which, died. And that's the issue with detailed storu telling in the Pacific. a lotta guys didnt make it, got sick, or their memoirs were destroyed. So we rely on handwritten letters.

Reactions: Pennheel
read both novels. showed insight to this very question.

basically, Maj Winters and brass kept good records. Also embed writers brought the 'cozier' campaign home to the masses.

Thinking about the Marines in Pacific Theater. Story is being retold by three main narrators, well, by Ambrose's son via those three. One of which, died. And that's the issue with detailed storu telling in the Pacific. a lotta guys didnt make it, got sick, or their memoirs were destroyed. So we rely on handwritten letters.

That does make a lot of sense looking back. I noticed a lot of the storyline felt like it was missing something compared to the actual events. That would be hard to rely on as much when it's hand written letters. Definitely agree as far as the European Theater being a little more on the "cozier" side to be a easier sale to the audience.

Reactions: Jackcrevol

VN Store

Back