Band of Brothers

I'll try The Pacific next, as my granddad served in the Navy as a Cheif Gunner Mate in a 5" turret on the U.S.S. South Dakota. His fleet was key in the advance towards Japan, and one of my fondest childhood memories was visiting his sister battleship in Mobile. His flag rests en memoriam on the shelf in my family room.

The best man I've ever known. I can still hear the 21 gun salute.

read both novels. showed insight to this very question.

basically, Maj Winters and brass kept good records. Also embed writers brought the 'cozier' campaign home to the masses.

Thinking about the Marines in Pacific Theater. Story is being retold by three main narrators, well, by Ambrose's son via those three. One of which, died. And that's the issue with detailed storu telling in the Pacific. a lotta guys didnt make it, got sick, or their memoirs were destroyed. So we rely on handwritten letters.
I loved both, but I thought The Pacific was much darker. The Pacific theatre just seemed so much more brutal in the jungle, plus I feel like The Pacific really went into the mental hardships each character faced. To me that can be somewhat harder than seeing Bill Guarnere losing his leg. I think you combine all of that with the maniacal ways that the Japanese fought, it can be a difficult watch.
Australia looked fun though .

I saw the whole series twice when it was on HBO, and have owned the box set since the day it came out. I'd say this is probably my eighth time seeing the whole thing consecutively. The Breaking Point and Why We Fight still get to me.
Me, too, brother. Just finished watching the box set AGAIN. Indeed, the Greatest Generation. I salute 'em all.

I loved both, but I thought The Pacific was much darker. The Pacific theatre just seemed so much more brutal in the jungle, plus I feel like The Pacific really went into the mental hardships each character faced. To me that can be somewhat harder than seeing Bill Guarnere losing his leg. I think you combine all of that with the maniacal ways that the Japanese fought, it can be a difficult watch.
Australia looked fun though .
Great points.

Further, Ill be excited to see adaptation of 'Mighty Eighth' which has taken almost as long to film as I have to finish that dreaded novel.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Great points.

Further, I’ll be excited to see adaptation of 'Mighty Eighth' which has taken almost as long to film as I have to finish that dreaded novel.
I’m glad you said that. I had forgotten about that. When is that supposed to come out ?

If your a Band of Brothers fan I recommend watching the reaction video series of the show from the YouTube channel Reel History from Historian Jared Frederick who wrote a book on Dick Winters the insight he gives is phenomenal.

Here is link to episode 1.

VN Store

Back