Barnes March Madness record at UT(the real one)

And some of it was due to injuries taking out a starter (e.g., Alexander and Fulky) or a horrendous call with 1 second or two on the clock (Turner against Purdue) which accounts for 3 of our exits.

Alexander was Loyola which hurt as well.

I really can't remember how much a Fulkerson presence would have mattered in any of those games mentioned where he was eligible but missed.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Said another way, CRB's NCAA tourney results match Coach Pearl's thus far and, if that trend continues, it would mean this is the season CRB gets the E8 or better.
We’ve been saying that for a decade. This has to be the year. Maybe CRB should announce his retirement and see if that resonates with the team (light blue font).

And some of it was due to injuries taking out a starter (e.g., Alexander and Fulky) or a horrendous call with 1 second or two on the clock (Turner against Purdue) which accounts for 3 of our exits.
I’m still angry about the call and the charge against MIchigan (or was it MSU). Both cost us a shot at a Final 4….and both were against a Big 10 team. “Still angry after all these years” sing it Paul.

Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
To be fair, he's also never faced a higher seed. You have to go pretty deep in the tourney to face a higher seed when you, yourself, are a top-4 seed.

I understand that we all want him to get deeper in the tournament, but stats like these almost make it sound like people would rather do worse in the regular season, resulting in a lower NCAAT seed for ourselves so that we could more easily face a higher seed to wear a potential victory over said opponent like a badge of honor.

Well, we can certainly wear a few of those losses like badges of honor. I mean we were eliminated by historical powerhouses like Loyola, Oregon State, and FAU.

Everybody keeps saying the NCAA tournament is all about luck…so when is it our time for the luck to hit us. 25 trips to the dance and we have only beat a higher seed 3 times and a top 4 seed 2 times. What are the chances you make something 25 times yet manage to have that little success in it. I guess at this point I would rather be lucky than good in this sport since luck is all these people seem to think it takes.

Everybody keeps saying the NCAA tournament is all about luck…so when is it our time for the luck to hit us. 25 trips to the dance and we have only beat a higher seed 3 times and a top 4 seed 2 times. What are the chances you make something 25 times yet manage to have that little success in it. I guess at this point I would rather be lucky than good in this sport since luck is all these people seem to think it takes.
Anybody saying it's "all about luck" is an idiot. Same as those saying that luck plays no part in it. The truth is solidly in the middle there somewhere.

Anyone that trust a Rick Barnes coached team is setting himself up for disappointment, especially come March.

Vols are going to waste the effort of a generational scorer that can carry a team only so far.

Reactions: volpass
This year!

18- 3 seed, lost to 11 seed Loyola

19- 2 seed, lost to 3 seed Purdue

21- 5 seed, lost to 12 seed Oregon State

22- 3 seed, lost to 11 seed Michigan

23- 4 lost to 9 seed FAU

Never beaten a higher seed, but OTOH I don't know if we have EVER beaten a higher seed in the Tournament.
Off the top of my head but I’m pretty sure the Cuonzo team that under achieved all year then made a Sweet 16 run beat a higher seed team. Surely?

Reactions: volbound1700
What is crazy to me is the people who seem to love the guy and do not seem to want to ever achieve anything better. Outside of the failures in March, including two years where the bracket opened up for a real deep run (Loyola and FAU seasons)…the blind faithful then want to argue how regular season basketball is the true standard and March is so hard with weird venues and matchups yadda yadda yadda, yet Barnes has managed only a share of one regular season Sec title and never managed to win the Sec outright. This is with teams that have achieved the number 1 ranking, being paid a top 5 salary in basketball, and so on. One would expect either a final four run or multiple Sec outright crowns knowing this… then all his supporters could say well hey look we win the Sec all the time. Now moving to this year, we have the best team or what should be the best team in the Sec along with the best player in the conference again and we are staring at two sub par losses in the first half of our Sec schedule which is far easier than the second half of the schedule. So why should all of us so called naysayers be happy about the exact same results year after year when we never really achieve anything. Shouldn’t a coach paid the level Barnes is be held to an elite level and our basketball program be expected to rise accordingly. Outside of Kentucky nobody in the conference should be held to any standards higher than we are. Not being able to critique and criticize Barnes who was leaving us high and dry for UCLA is beyond me. Either friggen win the conference outright Ricky boy or make a final four. That is the standard we can achieve here and anything less is not good enough, especially for your deep pocketed behind. Now…is this team going to do either of those things and if they do not where do you stand? But do not sit there and argue with Vols fans who want and expect more. Complacency will ensure we never achieve what this basketball program should.
How this post got a like is beyond me …. We have been a top 10 program basically for the last 5 years, with 2 Sec regular season titles, 1 outright (which is incredible), 1 tournament title (nice to have but doesn’t matter to the NCAA), and all done with young men that are very easy to root for. I am thrilled to have Coach Barnes, his staff, and the players representing VolNation.

What is crazy to me is the people who seem to love the guy and do not seem to want to ever achieve anything better. Outside of the failures in March, including two years where the bracket opened up for a real deep run (Loyola and FAU seasons)…the blind faithful then want to argue how regular season basketball is the true standard and March is so hard with weird venues and matchups yadda yadda yadda, yet Barnes has managed only a share of one regular season Sec title and never managed to win the Sec outright. This is with teams that have achieved the number 1 ranking, being paid a top 5 salary in basketball, and so on. One would expect either a final four run or multiple Sec outright crowns knowing this… then all his supporters could say well hey look we win the Sec all the time. Now moving to this year, we have the best team or what should be the best team in the Sec along with the best player in the conference again and we are staring at two sub par losses in the first half of our Sec schedule which is far easier than the second half of the schedule. So why should all of us so called naysayers be happy about the exact same results year after year when we never really achieve anything. Shouldn’t a coach paid the level Barnes is be held to an elite level and our basketball program be expected to rise accordingly. Outside of Kentucky nobody in the conference should be held to any standards higher than we are. Not being able to critique and criticize Barnes who was leaving us high and dry for UCLA is beyond me. Either friggen win the conference outright Ricky boy or make a final four. That is the standard we can achieve here and anything less is not good enough, especially for your deep pocketed behind. Now…is this team going to do either of those things and if they do not where do you stand? But do not sit there and argue with Vols fans who want and expect more. Complacency will ensure we never achieve what this basketball program should.
You wasted your breath with an illogical rant. It's called March MADNESS for good reason. 😁

Last edited:
Reactions: EZE
Wooden took UCLA to stardom. If I was the AD at UCLA ...I would want to bring in a coach that would get us back to that level. If I thought that Rick Barnes was the person to do that then yes I would make an offer to Rick Barnes.
If I was the coach at UT and UCLA offered me an opportunity to take the program back to stardom, to bring back the success like in the days of Wooden, I would be highly tempted. Flattered even! That's an opportunity you got to look at. So, I have no bad feelings for Barnes looking at what would be a fantastic opportunity if he thought he could pull it off.
They made an offer ... and Barnes chose to stay. I am very happy that Tennessee is his last coaching job.

That Loyola loss is tough to stomach. The shot they hit to win it was borderline divine, sister Gene yes I know, but that ball hit the front side of the rim and somehow bounced up off the backboard and went in. The Loyola guard even said something to the effect of how it wasn’t a very good shot but somehow went in

Reactions: WGWTFA
That Loyola loss is tough to stomach. The shot they hit to win it was borderline divine, sister Gene yes I know, but that ball hit the front side of the rim and somehow bounced up off the backboard and went in. The Loyola guard even said something to the effect of how it wasn’t a very good shot but somehow went in

She might have also had something to do with KA’s hip injury that kept him from playing.

Ridiculous post.

VN Store

Back