4 - California .8050
5 - Wisconsin .7579
6 - Utah .7429
7 - Texas .7370
8 - Tennessee .7124
9 - Georgia .7019
10- Miami .6530

Originally posted by allvol@Nov 1, 2004 5:31 AM
Just for interest sake, if the Vols were ranked exactly where Georgia is ranked in the 'human' polls, the Vols score of .7764 would have them as high as # 5.

Interesting, but, I still don't think we are as good as Wisconsin.

I would love to play Wisconsin in a bowl game....just so the non believers like you would finally realize that Wisconsin isnt as good as everyone thinks

Statistically, Wisconsin is not that good, I will admit. But it's kinda the way in which they play... For instance, the Vols are not that good on paper. We play to the level of the other team, and then break away in the fourth quarter. Sure, it gives us wins, but it keeps us from blowing out teams and a higher ranking.

Do I think we could beat Wisconsin? Yes. Just because they are better than us doesn't mean they would absolutely win. I think Georgia and Florida have more talent on paper than we do.

I think if the Vols played Wisconsin 10 times, the Vols would win 9. I'll use the blind squirrel theory for the other 1.

I've seen them play several times... :censored: they could only muster 1 offensive touchdown against that pitiful UNLV team the Vols hung 42 earlier in the season.

They only scored 9 on Arizona!

Wisconsin isn't even in the top 10 if the Purdue qb doesn't fumble trying to run the clock out.

They are ranked now out of courtesy, and no other reason.

Okay, how about this? We barely pulled one out against Mississippi. Against Auburn (I know we lost, but read anyways) we looked pitiful on both sides of the ball.

My point is, teams are hard to judge. Can Wisconsin be beat? Absolutely. But you can't, especially this season, rule anything from happening. I have a feeling that Wisconsin may actually do well.

Though, part for the sake of good graces and part out of being a fan, I hope they get humiliated so there's a vacant spot for the Vols in the rankings.

Before discrediting the Rebels as a third-rate team and downplaying our win on the road, keep in mind that for 3 quarters on Saturday, there were a lot of nervous fans in War Eagle country. Ole Miss should have actually been up first if they'd have taken the chip-shot field goal instead of going for it on 4th.

I'm proud of every win we've had and I think we have played with the hearts of champions. I don't feel like anyone has "given" us a win this year; unlike '98, we've earned them all, and that speaks worlds for our young guys.

Well said Milo. There's just not that much difference among the teams ranked in the top 10. Everyone has an argument (except Georgia :blink: ).

We won a Nat'l Championship playing just like Wisconsin right down to having a QB lay the ball on the field as he was trying to kill the clock.

Originally posted by milohimself@Nov 1, 2004 10:49 AM
Okay, how about this? We barely pulled one out against Mississippi. Against Auburn (I know we lost, but read anyways) we looked pitiful on both sides of the ball.

My point is, teams are hard to judge. Can Wisconsin be beat? Absolutely. But you can't, especially this season, rule anything from happening. I have a feeling that Wisconsin may actually do well.

Though, part for the sake of good graces and part out of being a fan, I hope they get humiliated so there's a vacant spot for the Vols in the rankings.

Mississippi is a far cry from UNLV and Arizona. They hung with Auburn for 3 quarters this weekend.

I'm not saying that Wisconsin can't go undefeated.... similar to Ohio State in 2002. However, I still think if the Vols and Wisconsin played 10 times, the Vols win most of them.

Tennessee is young, and makes too many mistakes to be truly called a National Championship team over a "whole season". That's the beauty of it, the Vols have come through their tough schedule so far this season with a 7-1 record. Minus the 4th quarter against SCarolina, the defense is playing much better than at the beginning of the season.... and the offense has gained valuable experience. In 4 more weeks, the Vols may very well be a team capable of winning a championship.

However, I feel Wisconsin has peaked. Its as good as it gets. However, an easy schedule and a tough defense has afforded them the chance of an undefeated season. The easy schedule is probably why the computers have them ranked almost out of the top 10.

I don't really have a good feeling about Wisconsin finishing undefeated. I think Oklahoma will slip up as well.

Originally posted by GAVol@Nov 1, 2004 11:03 AM
We won a Nat'l Championship playing just like Wisconsin right down to having a QB lay the ball on the field as he was trying to kill the clock.

Uh... the Vols actually played ranked teams in '98. I don't see the comparison.

I believe the saying goes something like, offense may look good but defense wins championships. If anybody knows the actual saying, feel free to correct me.

My point was that Wisconsin could be pretty good... Just like I said there's the Vols that squeaked by Ole Miss, or there's the Vols that played a full solid game against a number 3 Georgia. Just like Wisconsin has a team that hung a mere 9 points on the conference doorknob that is Arizona, and the Wisconsin that hung with a still-tough Purdue (despite the Boilermaker's 3 losses).

Milo, not disagreeing with you, b/c I think Wisconsin plays down to their competition on most Saturdays... but you pretty much made their point right there. Purdue isn't the team everyone (including me) thought they were. We'll talk about those guys if they remain undefeated, but it looks like they'll slip up... Minnesota runs well enough to beat 'em, and Mich. St. is playing as well as any of the others in the Big 11.

Not what I meant about Purdue. I think that Purdue is in a similar problem as Florida... Their last three losses were against Wisconsin, Michigan and Northwestern. Two out of those three are pretty tough. Not only that, but all three were by three points or less. Purdue plays all the way through the game, and suffers a loss decided well within the final two-minute warning.

Purdue, like Florida, is still a very tough team despite their loss record.

Updated Top 10 at top of thread. Downloadable pdf attached....

Here is the Vols movement in the rankings:

Poll (last week >> this week)
Anderson & Hester 10 >> 5
Billingsley 5 >> 4
Colley Matrix 8 >> 4
Massey 9 >> 7
Sagarin 12 >> 8
Wolfe 11 >> 5

computer rank used in the BCS = 4

Just for interest sake, if the Vols were ranked exactly where Georgia is ranked in the 'human' polls, the Vols score of .7819 would have them as # 5.

Attachments

• bcs_long_3.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 6
I'll have to say, I was wrong... I really didn't see the computers loving us that much. 4TH! Now if only the "humans" would come around... expect to drop the last two weeks in the computers against Vandy and UK, no matter if we blow them out or not. Question being... USC or OU lose, we beat Aubie in the SECCG, do you think there's a chance? I'd say slim to none.

Well....ESPN just released the BCS standings and we are #8.....at least we are ahead of Georgia!! :finger: :banghead: :furious3: :furious3: :furious3:

Originally posted by allvol+Nov 1, 2004 12:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (allvol @ Nov 1, 2004 12:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GAVol@Nov 1, 2004 11:03 AM
We won a Nat&#39;l Championship playing just like Wisconsin right down to having a QB lay the ball on the field as he was trying to kill the clock.

Uh... the Vols actually played ranked teams in &#39;98. I don&#39;t see the comparison. [/quote]
I just meant that we weren&#39;t a particularly flashy team. We just kept winning.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Nov 1, 2004 12:24 PM
I&#39;ll have to say, I was wrong... I really didn&#39;t see the computers loving us that much. 4TH&#33; Now if only the "humans" would come around... expect to drop the last two weeks in the computers against Vandy and UK, no matter if we blow them out or not. Question being... USC or OU lose, we beat Aubie in the SECCG, do you think there&#39;s a chance? I&#39;d say slim to none.

The computers love wins over top 5 teams away from home. Yes, expect a drop in the computers by the Vols after the Kentucky and Vanderbilt games... but also expect a huge jump "if" the Vols beat Auburn in the SECCG. The Vols will be the highest 1-loss team in the BCS thanks to the built in strength-of-schedule components in the computer rankings.

"If" 2 of 3 (USC, Oklahoma, Wisconsin) lose, and the Vols win-out, and over an undefeated Auburn team, their would be a very high probability of playing in the National Championship game.

Remember, if either USC or Oklahoma loses prior to the SECCG.... then Auburn would be ranked #2 or possibly #1. "If" the Vols beat them, then it 1) reconciles the Vols only loss and 2) is a huge win by a possible top 5 team over the 1st or 2nd ranked team. Colorado narrowly missed playing in the National Championship game with 2 losses a few seasons ago and was made possible by a huge upset in the BigXII CG.

Originally posted by allvol+Nov 1, 2004 12:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (allvol @ Nov 1, 2004 12:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-rwemyss@Nov 1, 2004 12:24 PM
I&#39;ll have to say, I was wrong... I really didn&#39;t see the computers loving us that much.  4TH&#33;  Now if only the "humans" would come around... expect to drop the last two weeks in the computers against Vandy and UK, no matter if we blow them out or not.  Question being... USC or OU lose, we beat Aubie in the SECCG, do you think there&#39;s a chance?  I&#39;d say slim to none.

The computers love wins over top 5 teams away from home. Yes, expect a drop in the computers by the Vols after the Kentucky and Vanderbilt games... but also expect a huge jump "if" the Vols beat Auburn in the SECCG. The Vols will be the highest 1-loss team in the BCS thanks to the built in strength-of-schedule components in the computer rankings.

"If" 2 of 3 (USC, Oklahoma, Wisconsin) lose, and the Vols win-out, and over an undefeated Auburn team, their would be a very high probability of playing in the National Championship game.

Remember, if either USC or Oklahoma loses prior to the SECCG.... then Auburn would be ranked #2 or possibly #1. "If" the Vols beat them, then it 1) reconciles the Vols only loss and 2) is a huge win by a possible top 5 team over the 1st or 2nd ranked team. Colorado narrowly missed playing in the National Championship game with 2 losses a few seasons ago and was made possible by a huge upset in the BigXII CG. [/quote]
Nicely put... now that said, at the beginning of the season did anyone even THINK that ... I can barely type it myself, with so much football left, but... Not one of us would have been thinking NC. Thanks AllVol, I think you&#39;re right... now we just have to take care of business and see what happens. :good: :gun:

I agree We need to pulle for Aubrun in the Georgia Auburn Game... If Georgia wins that game then they will be top three or four in all polls. A win over a one loss Auburn does not help like a win over a top two or three team.. Maybe the pollsters we realize the Tennessee loss was the fluke and not the Georgia win.

Originally posted by Tnvolfan68@Nov 1, 2004 1:29 PM
I agree We need to pulle for Aubrun in the Georgia Auburn Game... If Georgia wins that game then they will be top three or four in all polls. A win over a one loss Auburn does not help like a win over a top two or three team.. Maybe the pollsters we realize the Tennessee loss was the fluke and not the Georgia win.

I feel pretty good about this. But i still hate the damn bcs. :rocks:

Wisconsin vs UT, I&#39;ll take UT due to the speed issue and the fact that UT plays really well against Big-10 Teams.

VN Store

Back