Berry on Athlon 2008 preview...

He was excited. Can't blame him.

And there are a hundred regular Vol posters on here who insist that the final outcome of that game was a function, not of Florida being so good that it was running up the score, but rather that the Vols quit.

I said "seemed able." I did not mean to imply that your other players were not objectively unable to compete. But, for whatever reason (bad coaching, hostile environment, loss of faith after the fumble-touchdown at the start of the second half), all but one of them IMO looked very much out of their legaue.

I'm not saying they were -- I'm saying they looked that way. Berry was the exception and he was notable in that regard. I sang his praises on here after that game as much as anybody.

Far be it from me to be a Florida apologist....they certainly don't need me. However, it is my sincere hope that the Vols played with much more urgency against Florida than Florida displayed in their loss to Michigan. Afterall the stakes are much higher in the UT/Florida matchup.

If UT doesn't play better on both sides of the ball this year the outcome will be no different than the last.

See right above yours. That is not what I said and certainly not what I meant. UT had plenty of players in last year's game. But only one showed up to play.

I doubt that the Gators could have produced a margin of victory that large if the two teams played another 20 times.

That said, you get 60 minutes to prove what you're made of...and the Gators proved, in dominating fashion, that they were the better team in Gainesville last year.

The Vols will have to live with it for another 4 months before they have a chance at redemption. Until then, the Gators own the Vols on the gridiron.

I doubt that the Gators could have produced a margin of victory that large if the two teams played another 20 times.

That said, you get 60 minutes to prove what you're made of...and the Gators proved, in dominating fashion, that they were the better team in Gainesville last year.

The Vols will have to live with it for another 4 months before they have a chance at redemption. Until then, the Gators own the Vols on the gridiron.

I don't know if this will make sense, but in my mind the 59-20 score was not indicative of the relative abilities of the two teams, but it was indicative of how that particular game was played.

There are lots of games where the score is either much too close for how much one team really dominated the game, and still others where the score makes it seem like it was not as close as it really was. 59-20 was how that game was played.

That doesn't mean Florida on the season was that much better than UT. But for that game, it meant exactly that Florida was 59-20 better.

Berry shone in that game, despite the outcome. He is a terrific athlete.

as bad as our D was last season, UF would have started 5 or 6 of our guys.

Valid point on the season, but not in that game. Berry, yes. But in that game Florida's defense appeared to have lost very little from the '06 champ squad. Turned out we were not as good as we looked and you guys not as bad as you looked. but in that game ...

Valid point on the season, but not in that game. Berry, yes. But in that game Florida's defense appeared to have lost very little from the '06 champ squad. Turned out we were not as good as we looked and you guys not as bad as you looked. but in that game ...
we both had sorry defense.

I know I've said it a lot, but the conference as a whole was down from the defensive standpoint. The biggest separation our conference has against most of the others (conference as a whole, not individual teams) is the speed across the front 7 on D. Just didn't seem to be the case last year.

we both had sorry defense.

I know I've said it a lot, but the conference as a whole was down from the defensive standpoint. The biggest separation our conference has against most of the others (conference as a whole, not individual teams) is the speed across the front 7 on D. Just didn't seem to be the case last year.

I agree completely.

I don't know if this will make sense, but in my mind the 59-20 score was not indicative of the relative abilities of the two teams, but it was indicative of how that particular game was played.

There are lots of games where the score is either much too close for how much one team really dominated the game, and still others where the score makes it seem like it was not as close as it really was. 59-20 was how that game was played.

That doesn't mean Florida on the season was that much better than UT. But for that game, it meant exactly that Florida was 59-20 better.

Berry shone in that game, despite the outcome. He is a terrific athlete.

Exactly the contrary. UF was better in the head-to-head game, but on the SEC season, UF was third in the east, whereas the Vols were first. That's a clear measurement of who had the better season.

Exactly the contrary. UF was better in the head-to-head game, but on the SEC season, UF was third in the east, whereas the Vols were first. That's a clear measurement of who had the better season.

I would have taken issue with this except for the Gators' sorry performance in the Capital One Bowl. Blech.

Winning the Capital One Bowl would not have changed your 3rd place finish in the SEC-E.

No, but overall I would have argued that the two seasons were a lot closer. As it is, however, UT clearly had the better season in terms of record and finish.

Berry will be a top 5 draft pick at least, barring injury or stupid decisions on his part.

This year's edition also examines how to defend the prevalent spread offense, conference supremacy — which league is really the best and what happened to the top 40 recruits of 2003.

anyone think Chavis will check this out?

I dreamed the other night that I was vacationing in a former Soviet state and got to take a free ride on a Russian spaceship.

THAT was not as surreal as this article. Aren't there laws governing who can run around wielding a scalpel, whittling people's pink bits??

My post served the laudable purpose of giving the anti-Tebow crowd one more thing to be dismissive about.

What's the harm in noting that a successful athlete from a rival is using some of his time to help others? No shortage of people on here who instantly post when a Gator player is in trouble, or when an LSU QB is kicked off his team, what have you. Just figured that folks would naturally want some balance, that's all.

Wasn't the last thread you started about Heath Shuler being one of the biggest NFL busts ever?

This year's edition also examines how to defend the prevalent spread offense, conference supremacy — which league is really the best and what happened to the top 40 recruits of 2003.

anyone think Chavis will check this out?

He never read up on option styled offenses so why would he read up on this new style?

VN Store

Back