Best leaders of all time - political/world

Many of your leaders lead people that are mostly impoverished and lack freedom. I’m not sure what makes them great?
With the exception of Lee Kuan Yew in the modern era, the other leaders I mentioned are going directly against the enemies of humanity and spoke truth to power. All of them were/are demonized and a few paid for it with their lives.

With the exception of Lee Kuan Yew in the modern era, the other leaders I mentioned are going directly against the enemies of humanity and spoke truth to power. All of them were/are demonized and a few paid for it with their lives.

Lol. This is a horrible take.

No appreciation for ancient Egyptians?

Surely Hannibal as a military leader makes the short list?
Certainly belongs in the discussion with Caesar, Alexander, Napoleon, Genghis Khan, etc. as a military leader.

I took the question to include governing though, which Hannibal did not really govern anything.

Alexander, obviously one of, if not the best military adventurer of all time, didn't really get the opportunity to govern his empire very long. It does do him some credit though that the successor states of the Seleucid empire and Ptolemic Egypt lasted for some time after his death.

One name I haven't seen mentioned is Octavian (Augustus). He stabilized the Roman empire, setting the stage for centuries of prosperity, that sustained even through some horrible emperors. I'd like to mention also the "Five Good Emperors"... Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, and Marcus Aurelias.

I've been over this countless times. I'll just say that Saddam did not become an enemy of the US/The West because of human rights abuses.
Your willingness to sign off on out right dictators is staggering. It's laughable that you think you are person interested in truth or one interested in freedom. You are not

Reactions: clarksvol00
I wish we knew more about the history of the central and south American tribes, Olmec, Toltec, Inca, Maya, Aztec etc. Their engineering was magnificent, had to have been some truly great leaders among them to create the civilizations they did.

Reactions: LouderVol
I wish we knew more about the history of the central and south American tribes, Olmec, Toltec, Inca, Maya, Aztec etc. Their engineering was magnificent, had to have been some truly great leaders among them to create the civilizations they did.

Feeding the gods: Hundreds of skulls reveal Massive Scale of Human Sacrifice in Aztec capital

The priest quickly sliced into the captive's torso and removed his still-beating heart. That sacrifice, one among thousands performed in the sacred city of Tenochtitlan, would feed the gods and ensure the continued existence of the world.

Death, however, was just the start of the victim's role in the sacrificial ritual, key to the spiritual world of the Mexica people in the 14th to the 16th centuries.

Feeding the gods: Hundreds of skulls reveal massive scale of human sacrifice in Aztec capital

Reactions: AM64

Wat.

Are you trolling? Your picks are gahdaffi, saddam hussein and Putin because they "spoke truth to power" and your implying they're unfairly demonized?

😂

My final answer is Augustus of Rome.

You could argue that he oversaw the longest era of peace on the grandest scale. You'd be hard pressed to find such a placid time in an empire that large.

My final answer is Augustus of Rome.

You could argue that he oversaw the longest era of peace on the grandest scale. You'd be hard pressed to find such a placid time in an empire that large.
After about a decade of civil wars. But yes he was good, but it wasnt exactly established thru diplomacy. Many of his opponents died under not so mysterious circumstances.

Feeding the gods: Hundreds of skulls reveal Massive Scale of Human Sacrifice in Aztec capital

The priest quickly sliced into the captive's torso and removed his still-beating heart. That sacrifice, one among thousands performed in the sacred city of Tenochtitlan, would feed the gods and ensure the continued existence of the world.

Death, however, was just the start of the victim's role in the sacrificial ritual, key to the spiritual world of the Mexica people in the 14th to the 16th centuries.

Feeding the gods: Hundreds of skulls reveal massive scale of human sacrifice in Aztec capital
From what I've read sacrifice was always thought to be part of their societal norms, but it is thought these mass event sacrifices became more common during the waning years/decades/last centuries of their civilization. I'm much more interested in what came before, who organized the loosely knit tribes and consolidated power regionally, especially considering the challenges the terrain and topography, local resources presented.

Last edited:

90135c0378c0cd45eabd36dc141f34bf.jpg

Reactions: AM64

VN Store

Back