Big day for Butch

I don’t want to defend Butch again, the man sucks, but there was no way Cincinnati was going to beat us at Neyland at that particular point in time. That was before Justin Hunter got hurt and our season fell apart. We were firing on all cylinders early in 2011 before the Florida game with Hunter, Rogers, and Cordarelle.

We beat them like an absolute drum! Rogers was huge that day

everytime the man spoke it was some ********… Dooley and Pruitt sucked, Butch was better record wise but I can’t be the only one who thought we were getting lied to everytime he opened his mouth. “This group of individuals are called a team and only 16% of our team has been on a plane before, that’s why leadership reps are so vital” 🤦🏻‍♂️
Put it like this Dooley and Pruitt both had a lot of players that still liked them when they left. Both were in over their heads. Dooley immediately found employment after being let go. Pruitt had a lot of issue surrounding him; I do think he tried though and I know of one instance off the top of my head where he paid for a recruits family’s medical bills. Butch told everyone what they wanted to hear and that burned most people with him. He also put himself first in every situation and was quick to throw anyone under the bus. He did assemble a great collection of talent though. Heupel with Dobbs, Kamara, and company likely wins a title imho.

He worked for that school after we fired him. I'm a grown ass man. A guy smoking a victory cigar does not violate my feelings. 🙄

Don't disagree with the comment but what pissed off a lot of TN fans, me included, was he was smoking the AL cigar in the dressing room celebrating AL bashing a TN team made of players he recruited. Seems he could have shown a little class there.

Last edited:
God forbid a head coach of a former player tweet something positive. There is a lot not to like about Butch, but I wouldn’t hang my hat on this one.

We beat them like an absolute drum! Rogers was huge that day
And Butch commented that Neyland was a terrific CFB environment, foretelling his interest in coaching Tennessee when UT’s administration was toxic to attracting better coaches. Though I have some fond memories of the Vols during his tenure, my admiration is reserved for the players.

The peak of this man's mediocre career.
Gundy has 18 straight years with a winning record at OSU.

He has won National Coach of the Year awards (Bear Bryant Award & Eddie Robinson Award) & has been named Big 12 Coach of the Year 3 times.

I’m not a big Gundy fan. He used UT to get raises/stay at OSU. But I think he’s had better than a mediocre career, and is a much better coach than Butch Jones for example. His famous “I’m a man” rant was a bit of an act to defend one of his players. Compare that with self-serving Jones lying about Jalen Hurd having a “lower extremity” injury to save Jones’ own skin after Hurd went back in the UGA game with a concussion.

Reactions: DaddyChad

He has won National Coach of the Year awards (Bear Bryant Award & Eddie Robinson Award) & has been named Big 12 Coach of the Year 3 times.

I’m not a big Gundy fan. He used UT to get raises/stay at OSU. But I think he’s had better than a mediocre career, and is a much better coach than Butch Jones for example. His famous “I’m a man” rant was a bit of an act to defend one of his players. Compare that with self-serving Jones lying about Jalen Hurd having a “lower extremity” injury to save Jones’ own skin after Hurd went back in the UGA game with a concussion.
Rumored that wasn’t the only issue that came up as far as player safety.

Good to know. 😂

Honestly I think we should all move past Butch but I will say the guy was one of the least liked ex coaches. Main problem with him is he intentionally tried to forego seeking offsetting employment to stick it to Tennessee
Only once has Tennessee failed to win a SEC game in a season…. and that SOB was the coach. Screw him.

Please don’t compare a league made of mostly on Miss St & Vandys to the SEC. Gundy knew his limitations. Give him credit for that.

Had Butch, or Dooley, got out of their own way and hired above average assistants, which they had the resources to do here, either could have been very successful as a CEO type role. I was ready for both of them to go at the end, but they both came ever so close to putting it all together at their peak. They were way too arrogant to figure it out though. Experiments that failed but almost didn’t.

And Butch commented that Neyland was a terrific CFB environment, foretelling his interest in coaching Tennessee when UT’s administration was toxic to attracting better coaches. Though I have some fond memories of the Vols during his tenure, my admiration is reserved for the players.

Same here…

I also remember how flat out obnoxious the Cincy fans were.

VN Store

Back