Biggest "what-if" scenarios in Tennessee football history

What if Lyle would have moved Hurd to WR/TE and let Kamara been our starting RB

What if Lyle would have never fired his strength and conditioning coach

What if Huepel could have coached those 2015-2016 teams? I really believe we would have had two sec championships those two years
We wouldn’t have beat Bama either of those years

Reactions: VolDave53
Since it is off-season, here are a couple of monumental what-if scenarios to debate in terms of their most likely effects on the trajectory of Tennessee football:

(1) What would the effect have been if Doug Dickey had been hired as head coach in 1963, rather than 1964, thus making Tennessee a more desirable college destination for Stephen Orr Spurrier?

(2) What would the long-term effect have been if Dickey had never made the mistake of his life by returning to Florida as head coach, thus sparing us a decade-long decline and rebuild during the Battle and early Majors era?

If you have other, equally compelling, what-if hypothetical scenarios to add to the equation/discussion, feel free to do so.
How well did Dickey do at Florida?

I am too young to remember that far back. But here is my biggest what if.

What if, in 2009, Mike Hamilton would have actually hired Gary Patterson instead of the loser Lane Kiffin? I think we never see Doofus, Botch or Chick Fil Gump. Now it’s also very possible we never see Heupel either.
Not sure how successful he would’ve been but I would bet that we’d have way more wins.

Reactions: knox73
What if our defense had actually shown up on that fateful night in 2022 in Columbia, SC

....what if I shot a hole in one on 18 consecutive holes?? Would Fulmer still be head coach???

What if Pruit hadn't given the brown bags and we could kept the players that had to leave, we lost some of the best, what could have CJH done with those players.

What if there was a 12 team college football playoff in the 90’s? Do we have more than 1 championship? Do we have zero championships in the 90’s?

what if instead of the orange flowers that fellar had ran across, he found Johnny Jump Ups and our colors were yellow and purple instead of orange and white?

what if the War of 1812 never occurred and Tennessee wasn't the Volunteer State what would the team be called?

what if George W Vanderbilt has built Biltmore in East Tennessee and he decided to fund a school?

all right enough frigging what ifs for me

Reactions: knoxvol52
What if in 1990 Bama didn’t block that FG (or at least it didn’t ricochet 30 yards towards our end zone), there were a couple more seconds on the clock at the end of the Colorado tie, and AK’s throw to Carl Pickens versus Notre Dame was a few inches higher?

Reactions: IndianaVol
What if Rodney Garner doesn’t leave for UGA after the ‘97 season.

What if Travis Stephens and Donte Stallworth don’t fumble the ball in the second half of the ‘01 SEC title game.

What if John Stucky isn’t forced to resign due to illness.

It was heavily rumored that Brian Kelly wanted the Tennessee job when we hired Kiffin. I wanted Kelly at the time, and was bummed when we hired Lane.
I wonder what could have been if we would've hired him.

Since it is off-season, here are a couple of monumental what-if scenarios to debate in terms of their most likely effects on the trajectory of Tennessee football:

(1) What would the effect have been if Doug Dickey had been hired as head coach in 1963, rather than 1964, thus making Tennessee a more desirable college destination for Stephen Orr Spurrier?

(2) What would the long-term effect have been if Dickey had never made the mistake of his life by returning to Florida as head coach, thus sparing us a decade-long decline and rebuild during the Battle and early Majors era?

If you have other, equally compelling, what-if hypothetical scenarios to add to the equation/discussion, feel free to do so.
The problem with Tennessee football started in the last couple years under Fulmer. Then after Fulmer the ADs were at fault for hiring BAD football coaches. Now we have Danny White leading and it has started to turn back for us for the good.

The biggest what-if from a long-term trajectory standpoint is the Spurrier angle. If Dickey is here a year sooner and gets Spurrier, then he probably hires him instead of Fulmer after firing Majors.

The other big ones in my opinion...
What if we don't turn the ball over in the 2001 SECCG?
What if Carroll doesn't leave for the NFL?
Who could be have hired if Hamilton would have simply put Kippy as Interim HC for 2010?
What would have happened if SC didn't get our offensive signals from Michigan in 22?

I think it's in another thread...what if Majors gets hired from ISU and does the rebuild here instead of Pitt?

Others on my list:
1) What if Peyton cashed out after his Jr year and we got 2 yrs with Tee? Would the team have come together and hoist 2 crystal footballs?

2) What if Kiffin turned down USC? Would we have had some 'AA issues...likely, but I think we also hoist a trophy or two.

3) What if Dooley would have actually recruited an O Lineman...like any O Lineman ???
NCAA infractions by Year 3, Kiffin in NFL by 4, death penalty by 5.

VN Store

Back