Billy Gillispie Names Darius Miller A Priority

Not surprising; when you have a top 25 prospect in-state, he should be a priority.

I had the chance to talk to Pearl on a recruiting visit he made to Hoptown, and he loves the rising senior class in Kentucky, headed by Miller, Scotty Hopson (a MSU commit from my hometown,) and, I believe, the kid from Scott Co. (there was a third, forgive me if I got his particulars wrong; it has been about 6 months since I had this conversation.) It is billed to be the best class in the state in a very long time.

I would have to question Bill's recruiting skills if he didn't make him a priority. Of course, he needs to land a few bigs as well. Either way, we still have bigger fish to fry in this class, though Miller would be a solid fit in Pearl's system.

It would be a real coup to get Miller away from Billy Clyde and out of KY.

It would be a real coup to get Miller away from Billy Clyde and out of KY.

As I understand it, there is a tremendous following of the Volunteers in Mason County, thanks to everybody's favorite 2-guard.

It'd be something to have a Little Tennessee in the middle if Ky. A nice little pipeline whenever a kid came along.

It'd be something to have a Little Tennessee in the middle if Ky. A nice little pipeline whenever a kid came along.

Exactly. We will ruin a potentially great thing if Miller picks UT, and we're all schollied out.

Slick Rick says, this guy is a good coach. Coach Pearl is better though. Slick Rick says, get ya some Billy Boy.

Crap. I hope we still want him and can get him. Perhaps that's personal bias on my part.

We will still pursue him, but who would you take him over? Singleton? Jurick/Hamga? Williams? I suppose he is in the Negedu/Gillenwater area for the 4th scholly.

We will still pursue him, but who would you take him over? Singleton? Jurick/Hamga? Williams? I suppose he is in the Negedu/Gillenwater area for the 4th scholly.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Favoring in-state prospects where possible, I'd take Singleton, Jurick, Williams, and Miller. HV, will we definitely be able to have 13 scholarships in use in 2008-09? I read something about Tony Passley's situation affecting that. For that matter, I wonder when UT last had 13 men's basketball players on scholarship at one time.

He is but he is not likely to go there. I would probably take him before the other 2. Negedu is a freak athletically but I'd say he is Zona bound. Miller is more of a 3 than a 4. Williams is a 1/2. Singleton is a 3/4. And Jurick/Hamga is the 5. I would rather have a legit 4 like Gillenwater than sign a Miller and be forced to push Singleton into the 4.

I think we will have 13. Pearl has said that we won't be punished and Passley is likely leaving under good academic terms.

FWIW, signing Singleton would be a huge blow to Odom. I heard South Carolina has put a lot of energy into Singleton.

Yeah but Singleton isn't interested in them at all. We are in great shape unless the Smith transfer scares him. I doubt that happens. Actually, I expect that along with the possible commitment of Jurick to get big momentum going and possibly sway Singleton into committing to us early.

Yeah but Singleton isn't interested in them at all. We are in great shape unless the Smith transfer scares him. I doubt that happens. Actually, I expect that along with the possible commitment of Jurick to get big momentum going and possibly sway Singleton into committing to us early.

I agree. I don't think the Smith thing would scare Singleton that badly considering they're two years apart in graduation.

VN Store

Back