bowl games

volzfan08

which bowl game do ya'll think that UT will go to? i think that it will be the Capital One bowl. B)

Originally posted by volzfan08@Nov 1, 2004 9:40 PM
no, i just don't know how good of a shot we have at beating Auburn

They're not gonna beat us twice in the same year!! :beer:

Originally posted by vol_freak+Nov 1, 2004 9:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vol_freak @ Nov 1, 2004 9:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-volzfan08@Nov 1, 2004 9:40 PM
no, i just don&#39;t know how good of a shot we have at beating Auburn

They&#39;re not gonna beat us twice in the same year&#33;&#33; :beer: [/quote]
I, too, believe that it is very difficult to beat the same team twice in one year&#33; Man, I hope UT beats AU... but the vols would have to play almost perfect or get a lot of help from the tigers.

I dunno, this Auburn team looks for real. IF Auburn runs the table, it will be a travesty of biblical proportions for them to get left out of the NC game. I would liken it to the Manning/Woodson//Heisman farce. I just couldn&#39;t imagine an undefeated SEC team that goes through LSU, UF, UT, UGA, UA & then UT again not playing for the national championship.

Back to the point. IF UT can somehow manage to beat the Tigers - I see em&#39; in the Orange Bowl. I just can&#39;t see how UT would be an attractive participant in the Rose or Fiesta, UT seems to have a bad rep when it comes to filling the stands at bowls. Whether its true or not isn&#39;t the issue - its just the rep we have.

Yeah. Would it kick 31 flavors of ass to beat Auburn in the SECCG? Heck yes. Sugar or Orange Bowl right there, depending on how Oklahoma does. But, if we lost to Auburn in the SEC championship, I will not lose any sleep over that. Auburn is a solid team, and I think the team with the best shot at beating SoCal.

We&#39;d definitely have to play our very best and hope for a few breaks from Auburn to win, but I believe we can do it. Just look at the Auburn/Ole Miss game. Ole Miss held Auburn to no points until the second quarter, and the game was still within Ole Miss&#39;s reach until the fourth quarter. Ole Miss&#39;s defense held its own very well, but I think, in the end, it just became too tired and sputtered out. Albeit Ole Miss lost 35-14, they did give Auburn a run for their money. If Ole Miss can do that to Auburn, I think we have a good chance at beating Auburn. If we do manage to beat Auburn, I think it would be one of the most important UT victory in years. Just my thoughts.

I think that Auburn just failed to take Ole Miss seriously... From what I heard, Auburn more or less played nonchalantly throughout the whole game. An eleven point victory margin when you&#39;re playing lazy is pretty damned good.

Originally posted by utvols@Nov 1, 2004 9:56 PM
I, too, believe that it is very difficult to beat the same team twice in one year&#33; Man, I hope UT beats AU... but the vols would have to play almost perfect or get a lot of help from the tigers.

Auburn is definitely for real, but I don&#39;t think they can play as good or we can play as bad as we did in the first half against them. Let&#39;s at least let Auburn play Georgia before we coronate them.

If I were predicting bowls right now my gut feeling tells me that Oklahoma will get beat by someone before the year is up as well as Wisconson. I also think that UT will run the table and beat Auburn in the SEC Title game.

With that said:

FedEx Orange Bowl: Utah (last undefeated team in the Nation) VS California - I can already see it coming that if USC stumbles the Pollsters are going to shoot Cal as high as they possibly can each week to try to get them into the title game.

Sugar Bowl: Tennessee VS Virginia

Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma VS West Virginia

Rose Bowl: Michigan VS USC

I may not get one of these games right at all but I can see the polls throwing Utah into the National title game if they are one of the last 1 or 2 undefeated teams in the nation. Also, even if UT runs the table they could still get snubbed from the NC title game if the scenario I mentioned above happens. If everyone but Utah gets beat and Cal or Michigan runs the table I can see them staying ahead of UT and playing for the NC. I think if this happened at the end of the season the polls would be Utah at 1, Cal or Michigan at 2, the other at 3, and UT at 4 even if they win the SEC Championship. The beautiful thing about college football is things change every week and this post may not mean a hill of beans come next Sunday morning.

DD

Did we not learn anything this past weekend: North Carolina over Miami: Maryland over Florida State: come on, that is why they play the game. that&#39;s what makes College football So amazing. Anybody can beat anybody on any given day... Tennessee has a shot, although a slim shot at the NC game. I will never think other wise until we are out. With a couple of losses ahead of us. Aubrun beats GA moves up to the 2 spot Georgia will be in the top 15 Tennessee beats Auburn in the SECCG then you have Tennessee&#39;s only loss to the number 2 team in the country Which they beat in the Confrence Championship.....Go figure that..

Now with all that said Let&#39;s get fired up about this game A Nationally televised Game Against the Golden Domers Were We Can Show the Nation What the VOL NATION is all about

This is Tnvolfan68 and I approve this POST.

American_Flag.jpg

Originally posted by milohimself@Nov 1, 2004 10:06 PM
I think that Auburn just failed to take Ole Miss seriously... From what I heard, Auburn more or less played nonchalantly throughout the whole game. An eleven point victory margin when you&#39;re playing lazy is pretty damned good.

Actually a 21 point margin -- that&#39;s fuzzy math, Milo. And, remember, we only managed to beat Ole Miss by 4 a few weeks ago. Just like we did against SC last weekend, Auburn proved far too strong for the weaker team in the end.

No doubt, Auburn is one tough cookie. Say what you will about the other undefeateds/top-5 teams, but Auburn is for real. They&#39;re unbeaten while playing in the SEC (albeit the West) and have really handled a couple of teams (including us. . . .by 24 if we&#39;re still counting).

A win over them in the SECCG would be huge and would certainly put us in contention for a top-BCS bid, especially with a little help from some underdogs in the next few weeks.

Auburn is a VERY good team but we can beat them. Our D has improved and I&#39;m sure Chavis already has a new game plan on D.

And I WOULD lose sleep if we lose to Auburn again&#33;&#33;

:machinegun: BRING ON THE TIGERS&#33; :gun:

Auburn&#39;s opponents have a record of 28-30. In contrast, the Vols opponents have a record of 35-19. This translates into a strength-of-schedule rank* (SOS) for Auburn of 46. The Vols SOS is 3.

*using the old bcs formula

Let&#39;s examine who Auburn has played and how they did...

4-0 vs crappy teams...
THE CITADEL (I-AA) W 33-3
KENTUCKY (1-7) W 42-10
LOUISIANA-MONROE (3-5) W 31-0
at Mississippi State (3-5) W 43-14

3-0 vs mediocre teams...
LOUISIANA TECH (4-4) W 52-7
ARKANSAS (3-4) W 38-20
at Ole Miss (3-5) W 35-14

2-0 vs good teams...
at Tennessee (7-1) W 34-10
LSU (5-2) W 10-9

remaining games...
GEORGIA (7-1)
at Alabama (5-3)

Auburn&#39;s biggest win to date is its 34-10 victory at Tennessee. 6 turnovers and a blocked punt helped. The Vols still racked up 300 yards of offense even with all of the turnovers and mistakes. Auburns only other &#39;big&#39; win was 10-9 against LSU when they received an additional extra point try from the officials after missing what ended up being the game deciding extra point. LSU could very easily be considered as a mediocre team if not for an improbable overtime victory over Oregon State and comeback win over Florida (4-4).

If Auburn is truly a national championship contender, they will show it in the their next 3 games.

But mark this.... they are very beatable, and as good as they have looked at times... I will be very surprised if they win all of their next 3 games.

The Vols WILL NOT turn the ball over 6 times (most since the 1940&#39;s by a UT team) in the SECCG. Ainge will have 7 more games of experience between meetings with Auburn. And, LSU didn&#39;t have a chance in hades of beating the Vols on paper in 2001... and remember those results.

Originally posted by DownNDirty@Nov 1, 2004 10:32 PM
FedEx Orange Bowl: Utah (last undefeated team in the Nation) VS California

I may not get one of these games right at all but I can see the polls throwing Utah into the National title game if they are one of the last 1 or 2 undefeated teams in the nation. Also, even if UT runs the table they could still get snubbed from the NC title game if the scenario I mentioned above happens. If everyone but Utah gets beat and Cal or Michigan runs the table I can see them staying ahead of UT and playing for the NC. I think if this happened at the end of the season the polls would be Utah at 1, Cal or Michigan at 2, the other at 3, and UT at 4 even if they win the SEC Championship. The beautiful thing about college football is things change every week and this post may not mean a hill of beans come next Sunday morning.

DD

1 - Utah&#39;s strength of schedule in the computers + they are already ranked behind Texas, California, and Georgia (all 1-loss teams) in the human polls. Should the Vols beat Auburn, I would almost guarantee you they would jump Utah in the polls. Regardless, Utah will only make the NC game if all other teams had 2 losses. 2 teams lost ahead of them in the BCS this week and they moved up none. The computers will not be kind to the Utes.

2 - Michigan is already rated behind the Vols in one poll. If the Vols beat Auburn in the SECCG, they will be ranked ahead of Michigan in both polls.

3 - California might get the nod over Tennessee but only if Auburn has already lost. If Auburn is 11-0... and the Vols 10-1 beat them in the SECCG... and the Vols finish 11-1... the Vols will be ranked higher than California.

Originally posted by allvol+Nov 2, 2004 1:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (allvol &#064; Nov 2, 2004 1:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DownNDirty@Nov 1, 2004 10:32 PM
FedEx Orange Bowl: Utah (last undefeated team in the Nation) VS California

DD

1 - Utah&#39;s strength of schedule in the computers + they are already ranked behind Texas, California, and Georgia (all 1-loss teams) in the human polls. Should the Vols beat Auburn, I would almost guarantee you they would jump Utah in the polls. Regardless, Utah will only make the NC game if all other teams had 2 losses. 2 teams lost ahead of them in the BCS this week and they moved up none. The computers will not be kind to the Utes.

2 - Michigan is already rated behind the Vols in one poll. If the Vols beat Auburn in the SECCG, they will be ranked ahead of Michigan in both polls.

3 - California might get the nod over Tennessee but only if Auburn has already lost. If Auburn is 11-0... and the Vols 10-1 beat them in the SECCG... and the Vols finish 11-1... the Vols will be ranked higher than California. [/quote]
Which in your opinion puts us in which bowl? (with a win over undefeated Auburn)

Auburn is definitely beatable, and I think, if any team can do it, we can. Hell, I like us being the underdogs, and I&#39;m sure our players do, too. It gives them motivation to play even harder with more emotion.

Originally posted by YAZ@Nov 2, 2004 8:06 PM
Which in your opinion puts us in which bowl? (with a win over undefeated Auburn)

If there are no undefeated teams from the BCS conferences, or even just one.... and the Vols beat an undefeated Auburn team in the SECCG... and the Vols are 11-1.... I think the Vols will be in the Orange Bowl.

You have to realize that some formulas take into account different things. The highest and lowest rankings are thrown out before the average is taken. Currently, the Vols are the highest ranked one-loss team in the computers with an average of 4. Road wins, history of program, conference strength, and timing of games are just some of the items used by some of the computers. A road win over an undefeated (and 1 or 2 ranked) Auburn team in the SECCG will be huge boost for the Vols.... and should more than offset any lost ranking position due to playing Kentucky and Vanderbilt.

Jeff Anderson-Chris Hester
Rates D1A teams only. Factors in conference strength, which is based on how conference teams do in non-conference play. It also appears to give weight to how a team performs against better opposition. Does not consider game location.
The Vols are currently the highest ranked 1-loss team in this one. Even over California.

Richard Billingsley
Rates D1A teams only. Carries a team&#39;s rank over from previous year and values early part of season more highly. Also gives slight emphasis to recent performance. The Vols are currently the highest ranked 1-loss team in this one. Historical emphasis helps the Vols over teams like California.

Wes Colley
Rates D1A teams only, plus provisional 1A teams (like Troy St in 2001). His ratings only consider games between I-A opponents. Uses no prior season data. Puts emphasis on top 25 wins and top 50 wins. The Vols are currently the highest ranked 1-loss team in this one. The Vols have 1 top 25 win and 5 top 50 wins.

Kenneth Massey
Rates all NCAA and NAIA teams. The formula does not consider homefield advantage or game date. The PAC10 is apparently rated very highly in this one. Both California and Arizona (6-2) are rated higher than the Vols. Also remember, the hi and low computer scores are dropped... but a win over an undefeated Auburn might vault the Vols much higher.

Jeff Sagarin
Rates all DI teams, both IA and IAA. Home field advantage is considered. This is the Vols lowest score currently. Sagarin&#39;s ratings are similar to Massey, with both considering California and Arizona State&#39;s schedule to be very difficult :blink: (both in the top 5). Historically, Sagarin&#39;s rating have not been very kind to the Vols.

Peter Wolfe
Rates all NCAA and NAIA teams. Rankings based on actual outcome vs probability of that outcome occuring. Game location is a factor. The Vols and California are essentially tied in this one... with the Vols trailing by 0.002. A win over an undefeated Auburn team would vault the Vols over California, no doubt.

Let&#39;s say for argument&#39;s sake that both Wisconsin and Oklahoma lose. Tennessee beats an undefeated Auburn team in the SECCG. The final polls might look like this:
1 - USC
2 - California
3 - Tennessee
4 - Utah

However, the computers may look like this:
1 - USC
2 - Tennessee
3 - California
4 - Utah

Then it just comes down to how close in voting points California and Tennessee are. Taking the current point totals for #1, 2, and 3.... Cal would lead in the BCS by .002 points. I would think that Cal and Tennessee would be much closer than in the human polls than Oklahoma and Auburn currently are. So it would be easy to estimate that Tennessee could overcome Cal. But its really too close to call in that scenario. However, I&#39;m still convinced that a win by the Vols over a possible #2 Auburn team in the SECCG would vault the Vols to a solid #2 in at least one poll. If that happens, then the Vols would own a 0.02 advantage over California. However, don&#39;t forget, Cal plays a very difficult game on Dec 4th at Southern Miss.

VN Store

Back