Bruce Feldman comment

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Food for thought:

Huge SI expose on #OklahomaState got me thinking how lucky #Tennessee is after #Vols 2 awful HC hires that Mike Gundy DIDN'T take #UT job

Gundy doesn't "get it".

Reactions: 28 people
Food for thought:

Gundy doesn't "get it".

We were lucky that Gundy or the coach from UNC did not take the U.T. job. We also dodged a bullet by Muscamp not being interested in U.T.

However; it would have been nice if we had the A & M coach or the Notre Dame coach. I can't believe that Hamilton didn't take serious interest in Sumlin or Kelly.

With the state of our program, it was almost guaranteed that the last person on the list would end up being the coach. Dooley was bottom of the list & Jones was at the bottom of the list. Had Jones not taken the job, they would have been forced to go to the "C" list since the "A" & "B" list were already exhausted.

Also, Martin was at the bottom of the list of our basketball coaches, then when everybody in the NCAA turned us down, he was hired. He was actually a "B" list guy, but at the bottom of the "B" list....

Reactions: 1 person
We were lucky that Gundy or the coach from UNC did not take the U.T. job. We also dodged a bullet by Muscamp not being interested in U.T.

However; it would have been nice if we had the A & M coach or the Notre Dame coach. I can't believe that Hamilton didn't take serious interest in Sumlin or Kelly.

With the state of our program, it was almost guaranteed that the last person on the list would end up being the coach. Dooley was bottom of the list & Jones was at the bottom of the list. Had Jones not taken the job, they would have been forced to go to the "C" list since the "A" & "B" list were already exhausted.

Also, Martin was at the bottom of the list of our basketball coaches, then when everybody in the NCAA turned us down, he was hired. He was actually a "B" list guy, but at the bottom of the "B" list....

Sumlin had a returning heisman winner and Kelly just lost the national championship game. That's why they were not coming here even if offered. Throwing out random names is great but now we know who was offered the job and it was not a bunch of A listers.

With that said, butch is a great coach and I am backing him 100%. Fedora would have done well here to eventually ,imho.

Sumlin had a returning heisman winner and Kelly just lost the national championship game. That's why they were not coming here even if offered. Throwing out random names is great but now we know who was offered the job and it was not a bunch of A listers.

With that said, butch is a great coach and I am backing him 100%. Fedora would have done well here to eventually ,imho.

Kelly and Sumlin were legit options at one time. He's not talking about just 2012

Feldman does make a good point but we did have to deal with Kiffin so I'm not sure how many tricks would be new to compliance

Reactions: 3 people
If any of you think they're the only school that has done/does this, I have a bridge I'm looking to sell

I was not the biggest fan of the Jones hire, but he strikes me as a good guy who won't get the program in trouble, which is something I couldn't say about a lot of the other potential hires.

Food for thought:

Gundy doesn't "get it".

Thought the same thing we got the right guy, but we got to hang in there with him starting this week, the board cant explode if we get beat by 50 the DUCKS are good and they will put the hammer down on us if they get the chance.:ermm:

I think he is saying hiring them before Dooley not before Butch because he says Hamilton hiring them.

Got to thinking they wait till you get a top 10 program then they bring up sh@t that happen 10 years ago all of the top teams cheat some of it the coaches cant control Any fan could tell a top recruit here is a 1,000 give you more when you come, the coaching staff cant do nothing about stuff like that.:eek:hmy:.

Last edited:
I was not the biggest fan of the Jones hire, but he strikes me as a good guy who won't get the program in trouble, which is something I couldn't say about a lot of the other potential hires.

I think Buch is the right guy for the job. I don't know what to think about the no gray area approach. I think it puts us at a disadvantage compared to everyone else. A great coach needs to be like a lawyer that knows the law but pushes the envelope. We need Sal from Breaking Bad. Please forgive the lawyer comment and the Sal comment. In no way am I referencing Dooley and Sunseri. I am sure some of you will not be able to resist the opportunity to chime in. Flame on.
Go Vols!

Best part of this OSU expose is that today is only Day 1 of 5! Talk about darkest before the dawn. I think the party is just getting started for the Cowboys and this one is going to leave a mark.

'If you're not smart, you better be lucky' - UTAD's new motto after landing Butch.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back