Bruce Pearl & Candace Parker

Who is casting stones? Gonna take scripture out of context on Easter weekend? Who is condemning anyone to eternal death here? It’s a statement of fact. There was wrongdoing, there were consequences for those actions. I’m glad you feel like you got the slam dunk though.
Ever hear of a metaphor? Never mind, probably not. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reactions: spacificislander
I still love Bruce and appreciate everything that he did at UT, however I also love Rick Barnes and what he has done as well. Bruce's ship here has sailed, and he is never coming back and frankly I don't want him back. Time to turn the page.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Yes and I'm sure he would take all that back and admit the truth up front if he could. But once something comes out of your mouth you can't put it back in.

IMO this is not a reason to hate the guy forever. He made a mistake. If you have never made a mistake you regretted cast the first stone.
Where did you read that I hated Bruce? You didn't. Cast the first stone? Very biblical. How about "go and sin no more".

just so we're clear lying isn't a mistake, it's a decision, a decision to deceive. There are consequences for such decisions and that what happened to Bruce. Shame but Bruce showed a clear lack on integrity in asking Craft and his father to lie for him. This is my problem with him.

Enablers try to trivialize the event by talking about it was just a "picnic" or he made a mistake. Neither the picnic or the lie were mistakes, they were decisions. BAD DECISIONS!

It was sad that Bruce lied. The powers that be were looking for a chance to hang him. Illinois fans hated him for taping a telephone conversation with an Illinois recruit and using it against their program. Whether what he did deserved a 5 year show cause is questionable, but when the NCAA police are after you, any crime is a hanging offense. Of course, this was immediately followed the Kiffin show, so they had even more reason to come after him and UT. He was guilty of a misdemeanor, but they treated it as a felony.

Where did you read that I hated Bruce? You didn't. Cast the first stone? Very biblical. How about "go and sin no more".

just so we're clear lying isn't a mistake, it's a decision, a decision to deceive. There are consequences for such decisions and that what happened to Bruce. Shame but Bruce showed a clear lack on integrity in asking Craft and his father to lie for him. This is my problem with him.

Enablers try to trivialize the event by talking about it was just a "picnic" or he made a mistake. Neither the picnic or the lie were mistakes, they were decisions. BAD DECISIONS!

My post was not directed at anyone personally. I read at lot of anger in some of these posts, maybe its not hate but sure seems close. I agree he willingly made bad decisions all the way around on that incident but isn't is possible to say I made a mistake with those decisions afterwards?

Pearl is gone and will never come back. Creating thread about him should be banned on here. Too much of a hot button.

Yes and I'm sure he would take all that back and admit the truth up front if he could. But once something comes out of your mouth you can't put it back in.

IMO this is not a reason to hate the guy forever. He made a mistake. If you have never made a mistake you regretted cast the first stone.

That's what I'm talking about. Thank You. (and all those that aren't self righteous)

My post was not directed at anyone personally. I read at lot of anger in some of these posts, maybe its not hate but sure seems close. I agree he willingly made bad decisions all the way around on that incident but isn't is possible to say I made a mistake with those decisions afterwards?

Pearl is gone and will never come back. Creating thread about him should be banned on here. Too much of a hot button.

NO. That post game show was amazing and deserved every mention. Screw the haters.

There’s hardly any grace around here. I hope everyone that doesn’t show it is perfect.
Why is this the response to the accurate account of why he was fired. I can still like CBP yet recognize the mistake that cost him his position at UT.

A lack of grace would be someone hating on him and wishing him ill will which I see little of.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but Rick Barnes could win us a Natty this year, Bruce Pearl will still be my favorite coach of the Vols. It was just a fun era.

'Scumbag' is over the top harsh. He did a dumb thing.... and he paid the price.

Even felons now get to vote once they have been released.
They might get to vote again, but with that little box checked acknowledging to be a convicted felon really limits the chances of employment!

I like Bruce and I am completely satisfied with Rick Barnes. He is always a class act. Pearl is a lot of energy and fun to watch. He is a fast Corvette. Barnes is a John Deere tractor; works hard, performs well and gets the job done!

It was a great segment and great exposure and very much needed for Val nation and nationally!

As for Bruce, specifically, it amazes me how naive and/or hypocritical all the morality police are for college sports. Bruce was set up by the admin in gotcha game in a dirty business. If people don’t believe it’s dirty, they just don’t know how it operates! People need to let go of the hate for Bruce. He loves Tennessee! Can you forgive him and love him back just a little?

He is another ambassador for us even if people don’t want to admit it!

I love Candace. She brought UT the only major championships I’m old enough to remember, is a championship athlete at the pro level, has great on-screen presence, and still clearly loves UT. She’s like a much better-looking Peyton for the millennial generation.

It was nice to see them both talking up Tennessee--and to hear Candace showering Pearl with praise for the job he did
with the Vols. Pearl brought more energy and excitement to our basketball program than we'd seen in a long time.

Pearl gave the program a big boost while he was here and I think he still loves this place. I want to beat him when we play Auburn, but have zero bad will toward him. Candace is a smoke show and does a great job as a commentator on set. She’s a natural and knows the game. She’ll make a bunch of money as a TV sports personality going forward.
I am just concerned that he told bad bald-faced lies to the NCAA. He got what he ordered and I am not sure he has changed his character.

Intentional lying, isn't a mistake period. The only mistake by Bruce was thinking his deception wouldn't be found out.

Enablers are going to enable. If they don't mind being lied to then who am I too tell them different. There's a lot of that going around now.

Not interested in banning threads as long as they're in the right forum.

Pearl has to be acknowledged as the sole force that put UT basketball back to relevance. Barnes has brought stability.

He got fired for repeatedly lying to the NCAA and UT.
Correct and asking others, including assistant coaches and prospects to lie to the NCAA in order to protect his own butt. More than bad judgment, it was bad integrity.

Good coach but I wouldn’t want him back at UT. Pearl has revived his career at Auburn but I don’t believe for a second he wasn’t involved in what Chuck Person was doing with agents.

If Bruce was as good at coaching as he is at commentating he would have still been in the tournament. Not knocking him, he has a career after coaching thats clear.
Yeah he's pretty good with the mic. On the other hand, I love Candace's homerism and she absolutely can't hide it but I personally don't think she's a natural at it. I hope she improves but it feels like she struggles to get her points across at times.

I have absolutely zero ill will towards Bruce. My annoyance mostly has come from the fans who take every opportunity to denigrate Barnes and his success because of their love for Pearl.

I am grateful for what Pearl did for this program, but the fans that constantly bring him up IMO are actually doing a disservice to him rather than honoring because it just invites arguments. If Pearl wasn’t brought up every single time Barnes does anything, good or bad, people wouldn’t care nearly as much.

Like, we just made our second Elite 8 in program history and there are more thread titles with Bruce Pearl’s name on it on page 1 of the basketball forum than Rick Barnes, the guy who JUST won the game. And people in this thread talking about wanting him back when Barnes retires.

Like I said, I love Bruce, but my frustration simply comes from Barnes almost always being second fiddle to a vocal portion of this fanbase, even on a historic night.

Both were gushing over Tennessee's win over Creighton, Bruce "GO VOLS" and Parker told Bruce "Don't be humble, You were the one who brought Tennessee Men's Basketball back to Prominence" (Paraphrased) Surreal Moment....... Deep down, Pearl Is a VOL.

I wouldn’t trade him for Barnes, but after him, I’d welcome Bruce back here any day.

I think that Lane Kiffin set the tone and Pearl got caught up in the backlash. After Kiffin got the NCAA sniffing around UT, the climate in the athletic department was zero tolerance. Pearl’s contract reflected the no nonsense allowed theme as far as NCAA compliance. Then he panicked after what should have been a minor recruiting issue and he lied even more to attempt to avoid his own firing with cause. So imo Kiffin cost TN the services of Bruce Pearl as the HBBC.

Reactions: Volnanza

VN Store

Back