Business Ethics

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Topic.Exporting tobacco products to less developed countries.Since cigarette sales are declining in the United States because of health problems and being socially unaccptable,tobacco companies have increased efoorts selling cigarettes in less-developed countries.In the late 1990's, US cigarette exports exceeded $200 billion.Tripling almost the $73.6 billion amount in 1982.The ethical issue being should tobacco marketers knowingly sell in other countries a product that is considered harmful in their home country.Many consumers in underdeveloped countries view tobacco as good physically and economically.They argue tobacco industry provides jobs and stiulates the economy.Many also cite low longevity rates as a reason to discount health hazards of tobacco.

I have no problem with tobacco, alcohol, and narcotics manufacturers selling their products to those who willingly purchase and consume them. In fact, one of my biggest problems with government spending is and has been the 'War on Drugs.' If narcotics were legalized, the US would first save billions in military spending. Next, the US would earn millions in tax revenue generated from the income of the US businesses that would inevitably buy out large 'cash crop' farms in South America.

(therealUT @ Jul 21 said:
I have no problem with tobacco, alcohol, and narcotics manufacturers selling their products to those who willingly purchase and consume them. In fact, one of my biggest problems with government spending is and has been the 'War on Drugs.' If narcotics were legalized, the US would first save billions in military spending. Next, the US would earn millions in tax revenue generated from the income of the US businesses that would inevitably buy out large 'cash crop' farms in South America.

When you talk about legalizing drugs you have to consider the consequences in terms of lost productivity that free access to hardcore would produce, also the lifestyles associated with heavy drug use involve crime and/or the hurting of people who have the intelligence to avoid using drugs. For me, these negative impacts make it hard for me to agree to legalization.

Also as far as profitting from investing in South America, think about what's going on in Venezuela, Bolivia and many of the countries down there: nationalization. The investments our businesses make down there could easily go the way of the ones that we had made in Cuba before Castro took power.

(jdsa @ Jul 22 said:
When you talk about legalizing drugs you have to consider the consequences in terms of lost productivity that free access to hardcore would produce, also the lifestyles associated with heavy drug use involve crime and/or the hurting of people who have the intelligence to avoid using drugs. For me, these negative impacts make it hard for me to agree to legalization.

Also as far as profitting from investing in South America, think about what's going on in Venezuela, Bolivia and many of the countries down there: nationalization. The investments our businesses make down there could easily go the way of the ones that we had made in Cuba before Castro took power.

I do not believe that there would be a huge increase in the number of users if narcotics were legalized. People who use and want to use are going to use whether it is legal or not. Case and point: prohibition.

Also, many drug crimes are the result of junkies needing money (or dealers collecting money) to pay for the outrageous prices that the current illegal status of narcotics forces in the black market. The price would drop considerably if legalized, dealers would lose control, and crime would drop.

As for many of the countries in South America flirting with Nationalization...investing in South America is as much of a business risk as investing in China, Spain, etc. Businesses still do it.

(therealUT @ Jul 21 said:
Wow! I'm in 100% agreement with everything you're saying here realUT.

It happens every so often MyBloodRunnethOrange, and on many social issues I do break with the conventional 'Republican Platform.'

(utfantilidie @ Jul 20 said:
Topic.Exporting tobacco products to less developed countries.Since cigarette sales are declining in the United States because of health problems and being socially unaccptable,tobacco companies have increased efoorts selling cigarettes in less-developed countries.In the late 1990's, US cigarette exports exceeded $200 billion.Tripling almost the $73.6 billion amount in 1982.The ethical issue being should tobacco marketers knowingly sell in other countries a product that is considered harmful in their home country.Many consumers in underdeveloped countries view tobacco as good physically and economically.They argue tobacco industry provides jobs and stiulates the economy.Many also cite low longevity rates as a reason to discount health hazards of tobacco.
First of all, I agree that smoking is dangerous, which is why I gave it up. Having said that though, I think the dangers of tobacco are made out to be much worse than they really are. If tobacco is as deadly as they say it is, not to mention the dangers of second hand smoke to everyone else, then why is it still legal? If the government really thought it was such a menace they would ban it.

One more thing too. Any company which legally produces, manufactures, and sells their product should be allowed to advertise their product just like everybody else does. :twocents:

(MyBloodRunnethOrange @ Jul 22 said:
If tobacco is as deadly as they say it is, not to mention the dangers of second hand smoke to everyone else, then why is it still legal? If the government really thought it was such a menace they would ban it.

Because it's big business just like alcohol. They keep money in the Governments pocket.

I'm not sure about legalizing every drug, but I'm certainly for the legalization of marijuana. Cigarettes and alcohol are way more harmful than marijuana could ever be in my book.

Not to mention if there was ever a time this Nation needed to smoke a joint, it would be now.

(Orangewhiteblood @ Jul 22 said:
Because it's big business just like alcohol. They keep money in the Governments pocket.

I'm not sure about legalizing every drug, but I'm certainly for the legalization of marijuana. Cigarettes and alcohol are way more harmful than marijuana could ever be in my book.

Not to mention if there was ever time this Nation needed to smoke a joint, it would be now.
Good Answer OWB! A voice of reason,(finally).

It is my opinion that the government should not outlaw acts that are harmful to those individuals who desire to partake of the actions. If you wish to light up in a restaurant, it should not be the government that forbids it, but it should be forbidden by the whim of each individual restaurant owner (with their customer base in mind.) If one wants to shoot heroin into their veins, so be it...if their health insurance provider wants to provide them health insurance; if not, they are SOL when they encounter health problems. Same goes with wearing seatbelts in cars, and numerous other examples.

Just think of the money they could make if they legalized the wacky tabacky :crazy:

(therealUT @ Jul 22 said:
It is my opinion that the government should not outlaw acts that are harmful to those individuals who desire to partake of the actions. If you wish to light up in a restaurant, it should not be the government that forbids it, but it should be forbidden by the whim of each individual restaurant owner (with their customer base in mind.) If one wants to shoot heroin into their veins, so be it...if their health insurance provider wants to provide them health insurance; if not, they are SOL when they encounter health problems. Same goes with wearing seatbelts in cars, and numerous other examples.

That smells a bit Libertarian to me :wink2: (not that I disagree)

Just think of the money they could make if they legalized the wacky tabacky :crazy:

MBRO, I believe we have found a topic we can work together on to change the world.

(utvolpj @ Jul 22 said:
That smells a bit Libertarian to me :wink2: (not that I disagree)

'Tis the only party to be!

We just need to step up with some nominees that will take on Foreign Policy...

I have never witnessed a really bad stoner. Smelly but never a real evil one. However I have seen many evil people on other drugs and alcohol. I'm all for it being legal.

If pot is a gateway drug to harder ones then so is beer to liquor.

Another hurdle that the Libertarian party will never overcome is the fact that any candidate who promises to remove federal intervention from everyday life, would automatically be cast as actually 'getting rid of rights' by Democratic and Republican candidates alike.

Another hurdle that the Libertarian party will never overcome is the fact that any candidate who promises to remove federal intervention from everyday life, would automatically be cast as actually 'getting rid of rights' by Democratic and Republican candidates alike.

Agreed but it's not getting rid of rights but holding people accountable. It might actually bring some common sense back to the US.

(utvolpj @ Jul 22 said:
Agreed but it's not getting rid of rights but holding people accountable. It might actually bring some common sense back to the US.

It definitely would, however, Libertarians would have to be voted into office. I don't know about you, but it is hard to place that much faith in the voting populus.

And, I am out. Remember boys and girls, V is for victory :victory:

It definitely would, however, Libertarians would have to be voted into office. I don't know about you, but it is hard to place that much faith in the voting populus.

I lost faith when being required to read a ballot was considered discrimination. Not to mention one written in *gasp* English. Oh the horror to expect literacy in America. We expect it from our children but not our voters.

So true, it would be a huge cash crop. Not to mention the boost in grocery store sales. Everybody would win.

So true, it would be a huge cash crop. Not to mention the boost in grocery store sales. Everybody would win.
Our country would be so nice with a bunch of zombies walking and driving around. The left does not care one bit for the average american. Why do you think you were blasted in the last election? Democrats have lost all connection with the average american??

(smoke_em06 @ Jul 22 said:
Our country would be so nice with a bunch of zombies walking and driving around. The left does not care one bit for the average american. Why do you think you were blasted in the last election? Democrats have lost all connection with the average american??

You're like a broken record. Bring something interesting to debate and maybe we'll talk.

(smoke_em06 @ Jul 22 said:

I am further right than you my friend...

VN Store

Back