Butch Jones Monday Press Conference Thread (9/9)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Watch here: University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Scheduled to begin at 12pm

-Depth is still a concern.
-Overall style is still developing.
-3rd and 1 we don't get, which is unacceptable, and they come back and get a touchdown.
-2-3 plays can make a difference in a game and really 4-6 plays can make a difference in a season.
-Oregon is the most complete team he's seen in a number of years, to date.
-This game is a great challenge but also a great opportunity.
-A lot of our younger players will have to grow up in a hurry.
-Oregon does a great job of mixing tempo and creating space.
-We have to be great one-on-one tacklers.
-This is the most complete Oregon team he's seen in a number of years.
-We had five missed tackles last week; we can't have that.
-Sapp was textbook on the fumble he caused and recovered.
-Have to practice things over and over to form those championship habits.
-We spend as much time working on punts as any aspect of our team and the blocked punt was inexcusable. (CBJ took the blame)
-Oregon is good at all three phases of the game, not just offense.
-Communication will be at a premium. Oregon has one of the loudest stadiums in the country.
-Will be a challenge for defense to finish play and get back and get lined up on defense. But it all comes down to finishing plays.
-Justin calmed down the the second half and was extremely efficient. There were a couple of throws we'd like to have back, but those are a teaching opportunity.
-Wanted to slow the game down some against WKY to give our defense a rest.
-Some say our schedule is the most difficult in the history of college football, that's why we have to build championship habits.
-This game is putting TN on a national stage, going and playing the #2 team in the country.
-One missed assignment can be catastrophic to a defense. Our discipline will be challenged and our packages will be limited because of the tempo.
-Can't key on one individual and a dual threat qb makes it very challenging for the defense.
-We must be poised, calm, collected and confident.
-Dan has really improved his pass rush but Saulsberry is doing great work in third down defense.
-We are still trying to teach Dan the importance of practice. It's a maturation process that a lot of great players go through. We demand a lot from Dan because he's a difference maker. Pleased with his progress thus far.
-We did a great job of winning first down last week but we struggled on second and third and long. That will be a focus this week.
-Anticipate having Smith back will practice today. See how Maggitt practices this week. Will know more about Vereen later in the week but very encouraged by all three.
-Can't comment on other games in the SEC. His car knows work and home. He's been so focused on this team he can't provide any input on other teams or the league.
-We need 3-4 backs in this system. Lane and Neal are like a 1-1 punch that compliment each other, but moving forward we want to use 3-4 maybe 5 running backs in our system.
-Rajion got more north this past week and south as did Lane.

The end.

Reactions: 28 people
He opens up with some serious hedging about needing an opportunity to develop more depth and to develop our style of play.

Good to see actual coaching analysis and no talk of bamboo, atm machines and showering techniques.

Reactions: 7 people
He does, and has every right to do so imo...

It's a fine line between being honest with the media and beating your own team down with negativity. I think Butch does it right. He has also talked a bunch about mental conditioning, which I think is really important stuff, and I can tell that he emphasizes with our players. I think I understand what Butch is up to, and I like the way he builds winners.

Reactions: 2 people

Yes.

He.

Was.

bilde

Daniel Hood needs to get credit also. He stood the runner up and pulled his L arm from the ball which gave the runner only 1 arm to cover the ball instead of 2.

It was a fantastic team play.

Reactions: 12 people
Just said its easier to slow down than speed up. That tells me we're not going to try and match them play for play and get run out of the building.

It's a fine line between being honest with the media and beating your own team down with negativity. I think Butch does it right. He has also talked a bunch about mental conditioning, which I think is really important stuff, and I can tell that he emphasizes with our players. I think I understand what Butch is up to, and I like the way he builds winners.

I fully expected Butch to light them up at halftime, badly. But, heard from on some show this weekend that the exact opposite happened Saturday. And, look how they responded...Butch gets it!

Freak is editing the OP at an insane pace. He's actually ahead of the delay on my Iheartradio feed.

Reactions: 3 people
taking full responsibility for the punt block, and the sincereness with which he took responsibility is such a pleasant surprise. It's been a really, really long time since I have seen that.

Reactions: 6 people
This guy is a journalist's dream. It's no nonsense and he answers the question.

Reactions: 5 people
Watch here: University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site

Scheduled to begin at 12pm

-Depth is still a concern.
-Overall style is still developing.
-3rd and 1 we don't get, which is unacceptable, and they come back and get a touchdown.
-2-3 plays can make a difference in a game and really 4-6 plays can make a difference in a season.
-Oregon is the most complete team he's seen in a number of years, to date.
-This game is a great challenge but also a great opportunity.
-A lot of our younger players will have to grow up in a hurry.
-Oregon does a great job of mixing tempo and creating space.
-We have to be great one-on-one tacklers.
-This is the most complete Oregon team he's seen in a number of years.
-We had five missed tackles last week; we can't have that.
-Have to practice things over and over to form those championship habits.
-We spend as much time working on punts as any aspect of our team and the blocked punt was inexcusable. (CBJ took the blame)
-Oregon is good at all three phases of the game, not just offense.
-Communication will be at a premium. Oregon has one of the loudest stadiums in the country.
-Will be a challenge for defense to finish play and get back and get lined up on defense. But it all comes down to finishing plays.
-Justin calmed down the the second half and was extremely efficient. There were a couple of throws we'd like to have back, but those are a teaching opportunity.
-Wanted to slow the game down some against WKY to give our defense a rest.
-Some say our schedule is the most difficult in the history of college football, that's why we have to build championship habits.
-This game is putting TN on a national stage, going and playing the #2 team in the country.
-One missed assignment can be catastrophic to a defense. Our discipline will be challenged and our packages will be limited because of the tempo.
-Can't key on one individual and a dual threat qb makes it very challenging for the defense.
-We must be poised, calm, collected and confident.
-
Thanks Freak. You're doing a bang up job.

:good!:

Just said its easier to slow down than speed up. That tells me we're not going to try and match them play for play and get run out of the building.

good idea. milk that clock and minimize their Offense from being on the field all day. not sure how much it helps but it sure wont hurt.

Last edited:
Thanks GA. Just figured some may not be able to watch.

Players are up now, but you guys are on your own. :)

Reactions: 1 person
The way you beat Oregon is NOT trying to outscore them, but you beat them by just keeping it simple and keeping their offense OFF THE FIELD....ala Auburn in the BCS game. Get 3 or 4 yards at a time on offense by running the ball and their offense will get bored on the sideline and eventually lose patience and start making mistakes when its their turn on the field. Just look at how Stanford beat them.....

Reactions: 4 people
Thanks GA. Just figured some may not be able to watch.

Players are up now, but you guys are on your own. :)

Between this and the Offense/Defense play analysis you have reinforced your "E-Hero" status in my eyes.

The way you beat Oregon is NOT trying to outscore them, but you beat them by just keeping it simple and keeping their offense OFF THE FIELD....ala Auburn in the BCS game. Get 3 or 4 yards at a time on offense by running the ball and their offense will get bored on the sideline and eventually lose patience and start making mistakes when its their turn on the field. Just look at how Stanford beat them.....

I like the strategy of "making their offense get bored on the sideline."

VN Store

Back