Butch Jones Monday Press Conference Thread (9/9)

I know it's already been mentioned a few times, but it was extremely refreshing to hear Butch adamantly take responsibility for the blocked punt. Also, the player who committed the fundamental error which led to the block was left unnamed when Butch described the play. Being a basketball coach myself, it's certainly a welcomed change to have a leader who protects his players publicly, and understands the proper time and place for criticism along with teaching.

Reactions: 4 people
I know it's already been mentioned a few times, but it was extremely refreshing to hear Butch adamantly take responsibility for the blocked punt. Also, the player who committed the fundamental error which led to the block was left unnamed when Butch described the play. Being a basketball coach myself, it's certainly a welcomed change to have a leader who protects his players publicly, and understands the proper time and place for criticism along with teaching.

Nice observation. I overlooked that.

Reactions: 1 person

Leadership 101: Praise in public, Criticize/CORRECT in private. GBO.

Reactions: 2 people
It's refreshing to listen to a coach who will actually discuss Xs and Os. Me likey.

Yes.

He.

Was.

bilde

Daniel Hood needs to get credit also. He stood the runner up and pulled his L arm from the ball which gave the runner only 1 arm to cover the ball instead of 2.

It was a fantastic team play.

Starting the lawn mower!

Reactions: 3 people
He actually said that something was his fault. I don't think I remember a coach here saying that in a looooooooong time, even going back to Fulmer.

He actually said that something was his fault. I don't think I remember a coach here saying that in a looooooooong time, even going back to Fulmer.

The first way to lose at anything is becoming complacent. If Butch does not hold himself accountable, he would become complacent when he gets the ball rolling. We learn a lot about coach every week. We back down to no one.

Been said, but nice to see him take blame instead of throwing the team under the bus

"-Wanted to slow the game down some against WKY to give our defense a rest."

This worries me. I know they'll continue to work on and try to improve the team's conditioning, so while other teams are gassed, we are pressing the gas to keep moving, and I do know the D was on the field for 20min of the first half, but I'd like it if our D didn't need a rest because they are super well conditioned by the S&C program in the spring, fall, etc.

"-Wanted to slow the game down some against WKY to give our defense a rest."

This worries me. I know they'll continue to work on and try to improve the team's conditioning, so while other teams are gassed, we are pressing the gas to keep moving, and I do know the D was on the field for 20min of the first half, but I'd like it if our D didn't need a rest because they are super well conditioned by the S&C program in the spring, fall, etc.

Agreed, but...when you're trying to rebuild an SEC program that has slipped as far as we have; trying to get a team and fan base energized; have Oregon and UF on the road as your next two opponents; and have Bobby Petrino on the opposite sideline...you do whatever you have to do to keep your #1 defense on the field against their #1 offense.

Smart coaching, IMO. Once we have quality depth, and the conditioning program takes hold, then we can keep our foot on the gas. Until then, whatever it takes.

Oregon didn't put that program together overnight, or in one year of recruiting. Neither can we. Our time will come.

Go Vols.

It's not just in the press conference but during the Butch Jones show, he talks X's and O's. My favorite part is when he talked about the forced fumble by Sapp and that he practices that type of fumble and other minor things every practice. He says they practice every scenario possible. This is the stuff I like.

Wait a minute. You mean he didn't go ahead and concede victory to Oregon? He needs to come into Volnation and learn a thing or two, IMO.

This comment bothers me. Taking a shot was the wrong play call. That one was on him, and he needs to own it.

Your thinking of the wrong series I believe. CBJ was referring to the 3rd and 1 where Lane got stuffed. Led to their first TD. Not the one that ended in the punt block.

The way you beat Oregon is NOT trying to outscore them, but you beat them by just keeping it simple and keeping their offense OFF THE FIELD....ala Auburn in the BCS game. Get 3 or 4 yards at a time on offense by running the ball and their offense will get bored on the sideline and eventually lose patience and start making mistakes when its their turn on the field. Just look at how Stanford beat them.....

That's exactly what we need to do IMO. The less chances they have to score, the better our chances. Our o-line vs thier d-line will probly be the most key matchup in the game. If we can control the line of scrimage, then we can sustain drives and keep our d fresh.

Yes.

He.

Was.

bilde

Daniel Hood needs to get credit also. He stood the runner up and pulled his L arm from the ball which gave the runner only 1 arm to cover the ball instead of 2.

It was a fantastic team play.

Thanks DC, for my new cell phone background pic!

VN Store

Back