Caldwell passes on Arkansas

Probably because the responsibilities and techniques at defensive end and tight end are vastly different than those of defensive tackle and wide receiver. If having a permanent special teams coach was such a brilliant idea, why do almost no successful programs have one?

I think all the pro teams have one.

Take Taylor away and I agree with you, Taylor is much more valuable than Caldwell, I think Taylor's pay would make you believe that, Caldwell here since '95 and only makes $150k, Taylor here in four yrs and Fulmer has him making $175k. Taylor has had more job offers in four yrs than any other UT assisitant in last ten yrs. Caldwell does a decent job I'll admit but he could easily be replaced.

I can't believe CBP entertained the thought of hiring him as his DC. Makes me wonder lil more about Petrino. I can't see Caldwell being a successful DC in the SEC.[/quote]

Explain, why?

We've always been talented at DE (Little, Ellis, etc.) until the last couple years, we're not too talented now. I'll say he's done 'decent' - I do believe he was in charge of our special teams few yrs ago when they were really bad.

UT had the #1 DE prospect in the nation last season sitting on the bench the entire year, Ben Martin.

To be fair about the special teams, after UF they really turned it around once Britton got healthy and we changed our punt protection formation.

And Rogan started returning.

Although, Lincoln regressed in the kicking game.

Caldwell also turned down a chance to be Co-DC at Ole Miss. So much for him not getting respect within the conference.

Ive heard Petrino is a Tee Total Jerk. But he is a Great College Coach. Well at least he was at U of L. We will see about it in the SEC. Id say Arky will be no fun in a year or so to play.

Take Taylor away and I agree with you, Taylor is much more valuable than Caldwell, I think Taylor's pay would make you believe that, Caldwell here since '95 and only makes $150k, Taylor here in four yrs and Fulmer has him making $175k. Taylor has had more job offers in four yrs than any other UT assisitant in last ten yrs. Caldwell does a decent job I'll admit but he could easily be replaced.

I can't believe CBP entertained the thought of hiring him as his DC. Makes me wonder lil more about Petrino. I can't see Caldwell being a successful DC in the SEC.[/quote]

Explain, why?

I have heard each UT coach speak at a high school coaching clinic. Caldwell was the one I was least impressed with when it came to talking strategy and football - Slade was small notch better than him. I've watched him at practice up close a couple times w/ the DE's, just don't see it. I've heard him speak several times at clinics and I just can't see the guy being a successful DC on the SEC level. Now I could see Dan Brooks being a DC and I'm very surprised he's never took any of the DC jobs he's been offered.

I have heard each UT coach speak at a high school coaching clinic. Caldwell was the one I was least impressed with when it came to talking strategy and football - Slade was small notch better than him. I've watched him at practice up close a couple times w/ the DE's, just don't see it. I've heard him speak several times at clinics and I just can't see the guy being a successful DC on the SEC level. Now I could see Dan Brooks being a DC and I'm very surprised he's never took any of the DC jobs he's been offered.

Fair enough answer.:salute:

I'd put Petrino's college accomplishments on par with June Jones this season.
I think Petrino's are even less impressive. John L. Smith turned over a program on solid footing that was on the rise. Jones inherited an absolute mess in on the Big Island.

I think Petrino's are even less impressive. John L. Smith turned over a program on solid footing that was on the rise. Jones inherited an absolute mess in on the Big Island.

BP turned over a program that was poised to be top ten team and look what happened (yes, phil coaching does matter, not just talent). Also, I couldnt agree more about JJ. He's made Hawaii a program that merits discussion which is huge.

No, he didn't. Talk to someone from Louisville about the academic and disciplinary mess Petrino left behind.

prior to the start of the season, everyone had UL ranked pretty high...

Top 25 Preview
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click on each team for breakdown[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Southern California
2. Michigan
3. Ohio State
4. Louisiana State
5. Oklahoma
6. Florida
7. West Virginia
8. Louisville
9. Virginia Tech
10. Texas
11. Arkansas
12. Wisconsin
13. Nebraska
14. Tennessee
15. UCLA
16. Auburn
17. Wake Forest
18. Texas A&M
19. California
20. Boston College
21. Notre Dame
22. South Carolina
23. Georgia
24. Penn State
25. South Florida
[/FONT]

Top 25 Preview
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Click on each team for breakdown[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Southern California[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Michigan[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Ohio State[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Louisiana State[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Oklahoma[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Florida[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. West Virginia[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Louisville[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Virginia Tech[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Texas[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. Arkansas[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12. Wisconsin[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. Nebraska[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14. Tennessee[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15. UCLA[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16. Auburn[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17. Wake Forest[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18. Texas A&M[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]19. California[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20. Boston College[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21. Notre Dame[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22. South Carolina[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]23. Georgia[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24. Penn State[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]25. South Florida[/FONT]

And?

Michigan, Arkansas, UCLA, A&M and Nebraska were ranked pretty high on this list too. All that proves is that preseason rankings are worthless.

I notice Wisconsin is two spots ahead of good ol UT. I actually thought Wisconsin was in the top 10 earlier in the year too.

Top 25 Preview
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Southern California[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Michigan[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Ohio State[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Louisiana State[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Oklahoma[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Florida[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. West Virginia[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Louisville[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Virginia Tech[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Texas[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. Arkansas[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12. Wisconsin[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. Nebraska[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14. Tennessee[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15. UCLA[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16. Auburn[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]17. Wake Forest[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]18. Texas A&M[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]19. California[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]20. Boston College[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21. Notre Dame[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]22. South Carolina[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]23. Georgia[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]24. Penn State[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]25. South Florida[/FONT]
Was that a poll of of U of L administrators and Louisville media?

If I remember correctly the ol' rumor mill churned up a rumor that Caldwell was retiring at the end of the year.

Any word on where Coach O is going, would have been nice to add him to the staff for recruiting purposes but I doubt he'd step down from head coach all the way to position coach. I read that Miami was really after him for a while.

VN Store

Back