Can We Recruit A Coach?

So, your opinion is that every team in the country with a "great OC" would have produced just as well on offense if their starting QB (leading the SEC in efficiency at that point) was injured and replaced with a redshirt freshman who had never taken a meaningful snap? If we had a "great OC" we would have still been able to beat LSU under those injury circumstances?

OKlahoma made the BCS with a WR as Qb. Just putting it out there!

Oklahoma coaches did an amazing job this season. Stoops and his staff are top of the line.

I think Fulmer would make a great coach for the Miami Dolphins. Just go away Phil.

So, your opinion is that every team in the country with a "great OC" would have produced just as well on offense if their starting QB (leading the SEC in efficiency at that point) was injured and replaced with a redshirt freshman who had never taken a meaningful snap? If we had a "great OC" we would have still been able to beat LSU under those injury circumstances?

Yeah, that's my opinion but an opinion that is based on fact. Louisville lost it's starting tailback, who just happened to be a leading Heisman canidate in the first game of the year, then loses it,s starting QB, who also just happens to be a Heisman canidate, for a couple of games and played hurt the rest of year and they still put up 35 to 45 points a game. West Virginia lost Steve Slaton for a little time and a starting offensive tackle for the whole year, they still averaged 38 to 40 points a game. Injuries are a part of football, granted some injuries are alot more costly than others but no good football coach at a great football program will use injuries as an excuse for losing football games. I am in no way a negavol or a Fulmer basher in fact I have been one of the biggest supporters of the program and the staff and will continue to be, but facts are facts and the facts are that we put up only 17 points against a Kentucky defense that was almost dead last in DIV.- I and only 10 points in our bowl game with a healthy team and over a month for our offensive staff to prepare for our opponent. Injuries, suspensions etc. a great OC will work with what he has and be creative and find a way to score enough points to win football games period.

Yeah, that's my opinion but an opinion that is based on fact. Louisville lost it's starting tailback, who just happened to be a leading Heisman canidate in the first game of the year, then loses it,s starting QB, who also just happens to be a Heisman canidate, for a couple of games and played hurt the rest of year and they still put up 35 to 45 points a game. West Virginia lost Steve Slaton for a little time and a starting offensive tackle for the whole year, they still averaged 38 to 40 points a game. Injuries are a part of football, granted some injuries are alot more costly than others but no good football coach at a great football program will use injuries as an excuse for losing football games. I am in no way a negavol or a Fulmer basher in fact I have been one of the biggest supporters of the program and the staff and will continue to be, but facts are facts and the facts are that we put up only 17 points against a Kentucky defense that was almost dead last in DIV.- I and only 10 points in our bowl game with a healthy team and over a month for our offensive staff to prepare for our opponent. Injuries, suspensions etc. a great OC will work with what he has and be creative and find a way to score enough points to win football games period.

Brilliant!

be careful, OrangeSquare is luking in the tall grass, dont you know that if you post legitimate, well-thought out criticisms of the coaching staff all you're doing is being negative for the sake of being negative. We have the best coaching staff in college football, our gameplans and halftime adjustments are second to none, that fact that we have not competed for a championship in 8 years and had a losing season in 05, well, that's all just a fluke. As a matter of fact, I move that from now on we substitute Phil Fulmer for sliced bread, as in , That's the best thing since Phil Fulmer.

That was a lot of very in-depth research. Bravo. But, you did not really answer the question I asked. With Jon Crompton stepping in and starting against LSU (and the best defense in the country) you think a "great OC" would have secured a different result in that game? We would have continued to light the scoreboard up with a "great OC" in that game?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic with the Bravo comment or not, but I did'nt do any research at all just commenting on what I observed during the season. I could have thrown in Wake Forrest and Oklahoma too but I figured I had already made my point. If you are asking specifically about the LSU game, no I'm not sure that any other OC would have made any difference because I don't think anybody is going to light up the scoreboard and just run up and down the field on LSU. It was actually one of our OC's better games, but make no mistake about it injuries to offensive personnell did not lose that ballgame, the QB play of Crompton in the game was plenty good enough to win the game. Injuries to defensive personnell were more harmful to us in that game. Normally I would say that losing your starting QB is nothing but awful but for that particular game against that particular defense I really believe that Crompton's mobility and hardnosed play actually gave us a better chance to win the game, he had the best game of any QB to face LSU all year, better than Brady Quinn, Brandon Cox or Chris Leake the only one better was Tebow but he only played about 15 snaps. I'm just saying that injuries are no excuse for losing at a top notch program, our own coaches don't want to use it as an excuse so why should we as fans? As I stated earlier I think coach Cut. is an outstanding QB coach maybe the best in college FB, but no I'm not sold on him being a great OC. Did we make great strides this year with him being a great reason for that? Absolutley. Did we reach our full potential? Absolutely not. Just my opinion. Am I ready to give up on him or the rest of our staff? Absolutely not. If he leads us to consistantly putting up points and consistantly competing for championships will I be the first to get on this board and say I was wrong,coach Cut. is a great OC? Your darn tootin I will !!! Now with that said lets hope we can finish strong with this recruiting class to help him prove me wrong !!! GO BIG ORANGE !!!!!!!!!!!

I would pay somebody to take him

this looks to be an outstanding recruiting class, but what does that really matter in the grand scheme of things if each player is as good as he'll be before he steps on campus. I have seen player after player regress after their freshman years under Phil's coaching

VN Store

Back