Carlos Dunlap

Dunlap will be a Gamecock...bet on it...

Its possible. But, definately not a lock at all. I think as the recruiting winds down and we get closer to signing day he will realize that SC is SC and he is too good to go to a school of that caliber. Spurrier will not be enough to convince a stud DE to come to SC. There will be too many schools asking him "Who was the last DE that SC put in the NFL?" and "How many defensive studs has Spurrier EVER put in the NFL?"

Spurrier has never put a defensive end in the NFL. He coaches the offense. The only defensive coaching he does is to ask the defensive coordinator to get the ball back to him.

Listen to smokeyman, this is a done deal.

Of course I also said that Gary Gray was a "done deal ." He will be donning a golden dome next fall. I guess I should say, "as far as recruiting goes(98%?), this is a done deal." :p

Other than John Abraham, I can't think of any top-level defensive ends to come out of South Carolina. That has to be a factor for a an all-american caliber player when he considers schools.

Carolina has the inside track, and they should as the in-state school. I wouldn't call it a done deal though. The prospect of playing for Florida or UT is far more appealing than playing at the fairgrounds, competing for a trip to the Liberty Bowl.

Other than John Abraham, I can't think of any top-level defensive ends to come out of South Carolina. That has to be a factor for a an all-american caliber player when he considers schools.

Carolina has the inside track, and they should as the in-state school. I wouldn't call it a done deal though. The prospect of playing for Florida or UT is far more appealing than playing at the fairgrounds, competing for a trip to the Liberty Bowl.

If you really think that the Liberty Bowl is as far as Spurrier will take this team, you are kidding yourself. The state of Carolina football was an absolute joke when he got here. In year 2, outside of being shut out against Georgia, South Carolina was within a touchdown of every team they played. There is no question that the talent level here is far below that of most teams in the conference. This year's recruiting class very well may be one of the best in the SEC. I have to think that better talent plus the coaching staff that is in place will equal more wins. I'm not saying championships, but the appeal to play for South Carolina is better now than it has ever been.

I agree with your points outside of the fairgrounds and Liberty Bowl blasts. I also like the Razor Ramone avatar.

I guess this is where I throw my partially chewed toothpick at you, "Yo!":p

The state of Carolina football was an absolute joke when he got here.

Didn't you guys go to the Outback Bowl twice and finish bowl eligible, but declined to participate due to the brawl, a third season in the four years before he got there? I'm not sure back-to-back trips to Shreveport and Memphis is as big a step-up for the program as you claim.

Holtz
1999 (it still hurts too much to type it, sorry)
2000 8-4
2001 9-3
2002 5-7
2003 5-7 with a 63-17 pimp smack to end the season to arch rival Clemson
2004 6-5 The "bowl eligible" year you speak of
Spurrier
2005 7-5 Wins at Knoxville and against Florida
2006 7-5 Competitive in every game with a major desparity in the talent level.

If you are suggesting that the program isn't headed in a better direction now than it was under Holtz, I don't understand. And, based on the high number of Holtz-bashing posts the Vol Nation, most would agree.

VN Store

Back