Case over for Jaylen McCollough

Utter bullst that the rest of his life is now stained with a felony conviction because some aszhat came into his own home. What kind of idiot judge is this?
Oh yeah, that guy forced him to hit him and seriously damage his teeth too, didn't he?

No matter what happens, everyone has a choice. Jaylen made a bad one, obviously.

Maybe, but did the guy enter, leave and then enter a second time? Why would I not fear a third entry into the apartment, and want to incentivize that escalating action NOT to happen? Just not cut and dried to me. Lack of fast retreat out of sight makes it cloudy.
Did he enter a second time? Accounts differ. Let's not just believe whatever BS we hear on the interwebs.

I have to disagree on this one. Agree that its not good to be drunk and intrude into the wrong apartment.

But that does not justify following someone out into the parking lot and punching them. The dude left. Let him go.

Since Jaylen did not follow the dude out into the parking lot, I'm not sure what to make of your comment. Jaylen only went as far as the landing (breezeway) outside his apartment door. I think they were on the 3rd floor.

As for whether Jaylen should have "let him go" at that point, you should read post #34. Jaylen may have been so focused on defending himself, his girlfriend, his roommate, and his property from an intruder, he wasn't consciously aware they'd backed out the door onto the landing.

He may still have been entirely in self-defense mode. The law should allow for that element of human nature.

Go Vols!

Since Jaylen did not follow the dude out into the parking lot, I'm not sure what to make of your comment. Jaylen only went as far as the landing (breezeway) outside his apartment door. I think they were on the 3rd floor.

As for whether Jaylen should have "let him go" at that point, you should read post #34. Jaylen may have been so focused on defending himself, his girlfriend, his roommate, and his property from an intruder, he wasn't consciously aware they'd backed out the door onto the landing.

He may still have been entirely in self-defense mode. The law should allow for that element of human nature.

Go Vols!
Jaylen took a plea deal because "I feared for the well being of myself, a D1 football player, my roommate, another D1 football, and my gf by leaving the safety of the residence and clocking the guy outside." had basically zero chance of holding up in front of a jury.

I'm sure he's glad it's behind him now.

Jaylen took a plea deal because "I feared for the well being of myself, a D1 football player, my roommate, another D1 football, and my gf by leaving the safety of the residence and clocking the guy outside." had basically zero chance of holding up in front of a jury.

I'm sure he's glad it's behind him now.
I agree he is undoubtedly happy it's behind him.

But you could view the plea agreement from a completely different angle: perhaps the prosecutor was happy to get Jaylen to accept a plea because he (the ADA) felt very unsure he could get a jury to convict.

We'll never know which is more accurate. Me, I'll choose to believe the version most favorable to the Vol player involved, rather than the intruder.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I would vote to give him a medal. So, someone breaks into your home you are just going to graciously let them steal what you have worked hard for? Will you feed them dinner as well? It's people like you that make things unsafe for others.
If they're in your house, that's another story. If you shoot someone outside your house and drag them back in, that's murder. Unless they have a weapon and have the means and intent to harm you. Drag an unarmed man back into your house when you could have just closed the door? Yea you're going to prison. Property doesn't outweigh human life, ever. It's people like you that don't understand the law, at all.

Go Vols!
What destroys your argument and every other one of its ilk is the simple fact that Jaylen entered a plea. Because unlike you, he knows exactly what happened, and IS guilty.

Parking lot, landing...okay. But it was a reported 30 feet from the door.

"I said, 'You don’t have to be a dick about it' as I'm walking away," the man said, adding that he got about 30 feet away when he heard McCollough running up behind him.

What about the 22 grand he's forced to pay to some ******* who did the equivalent of a B&E and gets rewarded?
It's not B&E if its not intentional. Or are you telling me that every time someone accidentally trespasses it's B&E? If so, I would have multiple convictions by now and I think most everyone would.

Maybe you can consider that the 22K was for the damage to the dude's face?

"At about 3:30 p.m. Oct. 9, Knoxville police responded to a call to a Fort Sanders apartment and found a man with a bloody, swollen mouth and multiple broken and missing teeth.

Dont wanna pay 22K? Don't knock out a drunken idiot's teeth and knock him down the stairs!

I swear...this stuff is not complicated.

I guess because Jayden is an athlete he is in a special protected class that can do whatever they want. Is that it? Do the crime, pay the dime!

Reactions: #1fulmerite

Go Vols!
Missed this point earlier. Jayden tried that. In fact, he tried to say that he punched the guy inside his apartment, which, based on the plea was a complete lie (and goes to the credibility of the witness, FYI).

Following a guy 30 feet from your front door is not going to be self defense to any jury that I know of. I mean, I know attorneys can screen people out, and there are some truly stupid people in this world.

But finding 12 people that stupid would be a Herculean challenge, to say the least.

Missed this point earlier. Jayden tried that. In fact, he tried to say that he punched the guy inside his apartment, which, based on the plea was a complete lie (and goes to the credibility of the witness, FYI).

Following a guy 30 feet from your front door is not going to be self defense to any jury that I know of. I mean, I know attorneys can screen people out, and there are some truly stupid people in this world.

But finding 12 people that stupid would be a Herculean challenge, to say the least.
I remember at the time, it came out that the intruder had to have been exaggerating when he made that claim in his statement to the police.

McCollough's apartment complex has breezeway landings, with either two or four apartment doors on each landing. And the door of McCollough's apartment was only like 12' or 15' from the head of the stairway leading down. That's the staircase the intruder fell down after being struck by McCollough.

Now you probably read "thirty feet" from the intruder's police statement and thought, "wow, 30 feet, that's 10 whole yards, that's forever away from the home." But it was less than half that. Less than the length of one side of a professional boxing ring.

Heck yes, McCollough could still have been 100% in self-defense mode.

And you seem to have gotten stuck with just one side of the story.

p.s. McCollough's guilty plea shouldn't necessarily be read as an admission of any specific detail. Not a single one. Not even that he hit the guy. Instead, think of it as McCollough admitting that he wants this over with, before his final school year begins, without jail time, and is willing to enter a guilty plea under those conditions.

What the article describes is a plea deal. Instead of going to trial and dealing with all the crap he decided to take a plea probably got first offender and paid the dude 22k which is probably a lot less than he'd pay to win the case. If that's the case.. he does his probation and it is all removed from his record. Trust me fighting a case like that would cost him a lot more than 22k even if he won. That's the messed up part of the justice system and why so many people are sitting in jail/prison on sentences for silly crap. They couldn't afford to fight the case properly and ended up with bad plea deals or worse took a bad case to trial. He said she said cases are dangerous for the defendant because the messed up part of the whole thing is you accuse me its on me to prove myself innocent not for you to prove me guilty. I know it says differently in the laws and books but that's what reality is. If you say I hit you I have to prove I didn't and the more I look like I could have easily kicked your tail the more I have to prove I didn't do it. reality sucks.

I remember at the time, it came out that the intruder had to have been exaggerating when he made that claim in his statement to the police.

McCollough's apartment complex has breezeway landings, with either two or four apartment doors on each landing. And the door of McCollough's apartment was only like 12' or 15' from the head of the stairway leading down. That's the staircase the intruder fell down after being struck by McCollough.

Now you probably read "thirty feet" from the intruder's police statement and thought, "wow, 30 feet, that's 10 whole yards, that's forever away from the home." But it was less than half that. Less than the length of one side of a professional boxing ring.

Heck yes, McCollough could still have been 100% in self-defense mode.

And you seem to have gotten stuck with just one side of the story.

p.s. McCollough's guilty plea shouldn't necessarily be read as an admission of any specific detail. Not a single one. Not even that he hit the guy. Instead, think of it as McCollough admitting that he wants this over with, before his final school year begins, without jail time, and is willing to enter a guilty plea under those conditions.
15 feet, 30 feet, doesn't matter. Well outside the apartment, and I doubt the victim was even intentionally exaggerating. He was likely still drunk when he reported it, and also recovering from a concussion. He did get knocked out cold, you know.

On what planet is following a person 15 feet outside your door, as they are leaving, and have their back to you, self-defense? Like I said...there can't POSSIBLY be 12 people THAT stupid. It isn't possible.

What I can conclude from the acceptance of the deal is that McCullough's attorneys wanted no part of a jury trial. And I don't blame them.

Regardless, IMO justice was done, which doesn't always happen.

Reactions: volfanhill
McCullough wanted to show/prove that he is/was a bad azz and he did that.

Now he will have a record to always prove it!

VN Store

Back